Overhead Squats

I can pretty much only do the bar (maybe with 10 pound plates, if I feel good).

Anybody ever experiment with DB overhead squats? not the one-heavy-db-overhead-one-light-db-at-your-side variation, but two db's overhead... Man they are tremendously limiting in the amount of load you can use. The trap and shoulder fatigue is quite a bit worse on them too... it's pretty amazing, I have no idea how usefull they are for anything though.

Welcome... to the desert... of the real.

I haven't tried OHS with 135 yet... I have enough problem with 45-65...

Anybody ever experiment with DB overhead squats? not the one-heavy-db-overhead-one-light-db-at-your-side variation, but two db's overhead...

Yes, and they are teh rough. Good rough. Like bondage.

The welcome is too real.

Edit:

My OHS is pretty good ( I think my PR is about 90% of my BW) but my Back Squat is shit.
I am a weird fucking man. Horse man. Whatever. My squat is ghey.

I tried to do OHS with 45lb bells first but couldn't...the loaded bar was way easier. I was able to squeeze my shoulders together and it gave me alot more stabilization. I think the bells were tough because my core couldn't handle them moving independently. And what does welcome to the real mean.....I must be old or something.

I meant to say real........deal. I then had other comments and I accidentally pressed Post quick reply. By the time I realized my error I knew it would be seized on by everybody and therefore I did not post my apology / correction.

Anyway Sorry....please continue flaming..............

What are you apologizing for?

That's some good shit right there.

I'm still struggling with 85. It's a flexibility thing.

welcome to OHS.herdog

A couple of fast tips on OHS

1. Dont be afraid to elevate the heels just slightly if you dont have OL shoes, just a one inch board will do wonders ( and this is the only type of squat that I would use a heel elevation device)

2. The bar need to be slightly behind the head, not straight up overhead, but just a bit back--makes a huge difference

3. As you go down, keep the proper tension on the bar by trying to pull the bar apart ( I know you cant rip a bar apart, but that is how you apply the tension)

4. When you are about 4-5 inches from hitting the bottom of the squat, keep the bar tight but also begin pushing upward on the bar as if you were trying to military press it overhead--keep this tension and as you come out of the hole, push it even harder for a second as you rise 4-5 inches and then relax (ie, stop pushing, but stay tight) I know that sounds weird but it works

5. Do broomstick dislocates and windmills prior to ovehead squats--great shoulder flexibility moves

6. Practice overhead shrugs with a regular grip and a wide-snatch style grip from time to time

keith

welcome to OHS.herdog

1. Dont be afraid to elevate the heels just slightly if you dont have OL shoes, just a one inch board will do wonders ( and this is the only type of squat that I would use a heel elevation device)

2. The bar need to be slightly behind the head, not straight up overhead, but just a bit back--makes a huge difference

3. As you go down, keep the proper tension on the bar by trying to pull the bar apart ( I know you cant rip a bar apart, but that is how you apply the tension)

4. When you are about 4-5 inches from hitting the bottom of the squat, keep the bar tight but also begin pushing upward on the bar as if you were trying to military press it overhead--keep this tension and as you come out of the hole, push it even harder for a second as you rise 4-5 inches and then relax (ie, stop pushing, but stay tight) I know that sounds weird but it works

5. Do broomstick dislocates and windmills prior to ovehead squats--great shoulder flexibility moves

6. Practice overhead shrugs with a regular grip and a wide-snatch style grip from time to time

keith

In red:
Says you!!

Kidding aside, thanks for that. MY OHS is acutally pretty good, but I'll try that (3, 4, and 5) and see if I can hit my goal of OHP = BW.

welcome to OHS.herdog

keith

Check, check, and check on 1, 2 and 3. 4 is great advice, I'll have to try that next time I lift. My major problem with bailing is I can't keep my arms up. I should be doing 5 but don't :redface:.

6 is not so obvious, what's the benefit of overhead shrugs? (besides the obvious that it's an assistance movement).

Well it seems it's harder to go ATG with OHS than with the FS; hard to balance at the bottom.

Besides, do most of you snatch the bar into position or just OHS from the rack?

Also extraordinarily hard to keep the knees from going over the toes too much.

Welcome to the real, TS.

I love squats, and overhead squats are awesome, in fact at the moment the main movement in the gym that I have my kids doing are overhead squats. The youngest is doing them with a with wooden stick (pool cue) and the other is doing OHS with the 3kg bar.

Teaching them the movement I have noticed the tendancy to either not allow the bar to travel slightly backwards during the decent or that their heels raise of the ground. But I am covinced that with regular practice the OHS will help them in whatever sport they pursue.

I have never had a problem with keeping my heels on the ground, infact I find that my OHS is just as low as my normal squat.

But the OHS are humbling.

welcome to OHS.herdog

keith

Thanks again, Keith.

What point do yo lift your heels if you are lifting barefoot?

Thanks again, Keith.

What point do yo lift your heels if you are lifting barefoot?

He meant at the start of the lift.

So you put a board down, stand on it at your heels, and then go.

One of my fav exc is a variation on OHS (some call it "the best iron exc you never seen someone do in the gym:icon_chee")

Some reffer to it like "thrusters"...whateva, its done this way: have 2 bells (kettlebells in my case, but ord bells work as well) cleaned up your breasts and you do squating simultanously with overhand press...so you go down in full squat and on the way up press bells upwards

anyone else besides me who does it?

this is a hell of the exc and I do not belive there are many muscles not involved in it...but take it easy on this one, as you will soon find out your heart rate will go crazy after a set of it

this is a fckn drill, one that makes your dck grow...not a push ups or bench presses:icon_chee

but once again take it easy on it in the begining, it is very hard and oxygen demanding exc (works cardio as well)...

One of my fav exc is a variation on OHS (some call it "the best iron exc you never seen someone do in the gym:icon_chee")

Some reffer to it like "thrusters"...whateva, its done this way: have 2 bells (kettlebells in my case, but ord bells work as well) cleaned up your breasts and you do squating simultanously with overhand press...so you go down in full squat and on the way up press bells upwards

anyone else besides me who does it?

this is a hell of the exc and I do not belive there are many muscles not involved in it...but take it easy on this one, as you will soon find out your heart rate will go crazy after a set of it

this is a fckn drill, one that makes your dck grow...not a push ups or bench presses:icon_chee

but once again take it easy on it in the begining, it is very hard and oxygen demanding exc (works cardio as well)...

Yeah, I have....it's almost a reverse thruster. Press as you drop into the squat right?

Very challenging exercise, I actually find it hard than OHS.

welcome to the real?

^^ that is a statement by the way, not a question

Back