Overhead Press/Strict press

• Thread starter Deleted member 576123
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 576123

I don't call it military because my feet aren't heels together but I used to have strong shoulders.

Just had some preworkout (been aaaaages) and hit a couple of PBs.

70kg shoulder press for 20 reps.
100kg front squat 6 reps.

Front squat leaves a lot to be desired but I never front squatted (been back squatting 18 years) until March of this year and I'm very tall. I cross arm my shoulders.

I will film next week session if anybody is interested.

I have a dream of a 140kg barbell strict, weighing 120kg or less. I'm natty.

Goals end of year:

10 x 100kg front squat
110kg overhead.

Lost unbelievable amount of strength the last year.

I'm all for talking about various shoulder presses. But thread needs a clearer topic. Training log posts belongs in the training logs section.
Sorry dude.

Hmm. Do they get exposure being in a sub?

I love watching people lift

I personally like the back of the hands resting on the delts form of front squat but you need decent wrist flexibility.

I personally like the back of the hands resting on the delts form of front squat but you need decent wrist flexibility.
Yeah. I tried several adjusted positions for it but my arm proportions are way off.
I could use straps for a bastardised version of hands back but arms across is much better for me.

How would the backs of your hands actually be resting on your delts? Do you mean just outside your shoulders, almost like a standard front rack position? For pressing, your elbows obviously wouldn’t be as high.
upload_2020-9-26_10-35-29.jpeg

Pressing from a position where the backs of my hands are actually resting on my delts seems like it’d be awful.

How would the backs of your hands actually be resting on your delts? Do you mean just outside your shoulders, almost like a standard front rack position? For pressing, your elbows obviously wouldn’t be as high.
View attachment 801512

Pressing from a position where the backs of my hands are actually resting on my delts seems like it’d be awful.
hahaha. Why on EARTH did I write "backs"?
My front squat is almost identical to Magnus Samuelsson's.

*EDIT
I am more tired than I thought I was.
It was somebody else who wrote that, not me lol.

I agree with the hand positioning but the big air hump to get the bar moving is bullshit.

How so? Rippetoe's way of explaining it gets a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, he wants you to bounce the hip, then press once the hip is back in position underneath the torso. That's a pretty weird way of doing it to me*, but bouncing the hip (a little bit) and starting the press on the rebound feels perfectly fine.

*Doing it his way, I imagine you'd end up loooking like the guy in the SS video below whenever using heavier weights. Instead of leaning back a bit throughout the press, you'd do the weird "double-dip" being demonstrated. It just doesn't look like it provides any benefits, while at the same time making the excercise more complicated.

Although I've never taped myself lifting, so who knows. Maybe I do look just like this guy...

View attachment 801512

Not quite as wide as that pic, probably more like this yeah upload_2020-9-28_10-50-48.jpeg

How so? Rippetoe's way of explaining it gets a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, he wants you to bounce the hip, then press once the hip is back in position underneath the torso. That's a pretty weird way of doing it to me*, but bouncing the hip (a little bit) and starting the press on the rebound feels perfectly fine.

*Doing it his way, I imagine you'd end up loooking like the guy in the SS video below whenever using heavier weights. Instead of leaning back a bit throughout the press, you'd do the weird "double-dip" being demonstrated. It just doesn't look like it provides any benefits, while at the same time making the excercise more complicated.

Although I've never taped myself lifting, so who knows. Maybe I do look just like this guy...

The bounce creates stretch reflex thus allowing you to press more weight

The bounce creates stretch reflex thus allowing you to press more weight

I get that. I just don't see how the stretch reflex is best utilized by pressing once the bounce is completed, instead of pressing on the rebound.
And I wondered why you thought it was bullshit. Do you think the press should be performed without the aid of any stretch reflex? If so that's fine by me. I personally find strict presses extremely awkward to do, and I feel I get by fine in my non-sport specific training without them, but I don't have any informed opinion on what way of doing presses is optimal.

I get that. I just don't see how the stretch reflex is best utilized by pressing once the bounce is completed, instead of pressing on the rebound.
And I wondered why you thought it was bullshit. Do you think the press should be performed without the aid of any stretch reflex? If so that's fine by me. I personally find strict presses extremely awkward to do, and I feel I get by fine in my non-sport specific training without them, but I don't have any informed opinion on what way of doing presses is optimal.
I think its bullshit in terms of judging the strength of a strict press because i don't feel that version is strict.

I think its bullshit in terms of judging the strength of a strict press because i don't feel that version is strict.

There's actually people who consider Rippetoe's style of OHP a strict press? Seems like a dumb opinion to have. His overhead press is one step away from a push press.

Back