Overhand Right Mechanics?

The overhand right is usually a slower harder punch to land so if you're not going for power then you might as well throw something else. In that case power is something you have to have and get a feel for. Whether it's from youth and testosterome, something inside of you, etc. Overhand right mechanics are not all that important because if you don't have power you'd just be throwing a slow punch that isn't going to win you the fight, knock anybody down, or hurt that person. That's the truth pussies.

I think the second reason the punch is used is the odd angle you throw it at, so that it can get around an extended arm. Like a spinning kick, its a counter hit usually. You throw it when you know you have a moment because the other guy is busy doing something, usually that's missing.

I think the second reason the punch is used is the odd angle you throw it at, so that it can get around an extended arm. Like a spinning kick, its a counter hit usually. You throw it when you know you have a moment because the other guy is busy doing something, usually that's missing.

Or after a feint. Marquez seems to favor using that way because he knows he can loop it around any blocking attempts successfully after getting his opponent to bite.

Its a good counter over a lazy jab, or someone constantly circling to his left..

"Here's how to punch!!"

"But...that's not how to punch, and you seem to not know how to punch."

"And neither should you!! Go spend time with your Families and get some values you bleepity bleepin bleep-bleep!!"

Only on Sherdog.

"Here's how to punch!!"

"But...that's not how to punch, and you seem to not know how to punch."

"And neither should you!! Go spend time with your Families and get some values you bleepity bleepin bleep-bleep!!"

Only on Sherdog.

Damn. Sinister must have really read some of this thread. That's rough. Stop making Sinister read so many stupid threads.

Sounds good. I need to work on my timing and just the overall feel for the left slip (to my left, I mean). The mechanics get bungled whenever I'm in front of an opponent, and I feel like I have to bring my head too close to the punch in order to get off line, when in reality I should never be coming forward at all, just twisting and dropping. More tile exercise for me, I suppose.

I don't even try to slip left against OHR or right hooks. It sounds more efficient but I find (for me) the chances of slipping into the punch are too high. Or at least it feels too risky. My nerve just won't hold and my timing isn't that good. I much prefer to drop elevation and then weave under.

I don't even try to slip left against OHR or right hooks. It sounds more efficient but I find (for me) the chances of slipping into the punch are too high. Or at least it feels too risky. My nerve just won't hold and my timing isn't that good. I much prefer to drop elevation and then weave under.

Another thing I suck at doing. Bobbing/dipping is something I need to practice a lot more. I am not a fan of eating left hooks, and I don't like blocking them much better.

Next time , try pivoting behind your lead shoulder .
After a while , you can get by with even having your hands by your side.
It's better if you're not too much to his left though.
Your left foot being past his centerline to his right is a good place to initiate.

You can also try dropping down a level and pivoting.

My favorite is an old Pernell move......I drop right down and pivot but not out ,INTO my opponent , slamming my hips into his stomach and then walking him back a few steps.
It's funny and is just something to fk around with.

Ps - if you're worried about turning into that punch you can try wrapping your right hand on your left ear . Like your wrist on your ear and the hand (glove) on your skull where that punch lands.
You'll catch it nicely if u fk up on the slipping / pivoting.

Most guys end unballanced after throwing a OHR, so a good defense in my humble view would be to hop step backward and then circle left

Next time , try pivoting behind your lead shoulder .
After a while , you can get by with even having your hands by your side.
It's better if you're not too much to his left though.
Your left foot being past his centerline to his right is a good place to initiate.

You can also try dropping down a level and pivoting.

My favorite is an old Pernell move......I drop right down and pivot but not out ,INTO my opponent , slamming my hips into his stomach and then walking him back a few steps.
It's funny and is just something to fk around with.

Ps - if you're worried about turning into that punch you can try wrapping your right hand on your left ear . Like your wrist on your ear and the hand (glove) on your skull where that punch lands.
You'll catch it nicely if u fk up on the slipping / pivoting.

Thanks but tbh I like the sound of pivoting outside even less. I will try the pivot after a level change to start with though and see how I go with that.

Most guys end unballanced after throwing a OHR, so a good defense in my humble view would be to hop step backward and then circle left
I do tend to use range a fair bit to evade but if I felt like I was in the danger zone where if I could judge the distance wrong and he punches long (pretty much what Sinister HL'd with Manny's habit of stepping/leaning back from the OHR) I tend to prefer dropping low.

I like to step out of range against the OHR, even as a southpaw. Even though i might not see the punching angle coming from above with my chin down, but often the big motion it required already gave it away to defend. I can either counter with a jab or even a quick rear uppercut. Given how many guy lean his head way past his feet when throw it, it is rather easy to unbalanced them as well.

I like to step out of range against the OHR, even as a southpaw. Even though i might not see the punching angle coming from above with my chin down, but often the big motion it required already gave it away to defend. I can either counter with a jab or even a quick rear uppercut. Given how many guy lean his head way past his feet when throw it, it is rather easy to unbalanced them as well.

Too bad we've never seen him do any of this.

:rolleyes:

Back