Overhand Right Mechanics?

Start with your arm from the outside or at your waist with a clenched fist, thrust up from your hips and feet, possibly jumping a little bit into it. Focus on the last couple of inches making solid contact like in boxing and make sure on a bag or some hard object that can sustain the punch that it's effective in those last couple of inches. That short distance of contact is what causes the maximum power that a punch is all about. Also it helps to lean over as your punching even with your head coming forward. You can be countered but if you land fast enough the fight is going to be stopped.

Actually I take that back. Just lean your throwing arm and upper body back with your back foot planted and that same knee bent. Then throw it in a looping motion where you're going up and landing down with all of that in motion going forward at the same time combined with your body weight like Bruce Lee explained in how to do a proper punch in Jeet Kune Do. This punch should be executed very fast but I'm trying to explain it so you get the entire picture. Just remember when you start your elbow should be bent with your fist clenched cocked back and ready to explode. Your arm will be down and that side of your face will be exposed but if you wanna execute a devastating overhand right then you should definitely try this. It's the only way from my experience. It should be done in competition only when you could time your opponent for it or when you already have him rocked and it's going to finish him off because this is basically the most devastating punch you could throw, maybe even more than an uppercut.

Er...double no.

Actually I take that back. Just lean your throwing arm and upper body back with your back foot planted and that same knee bent. Then throw it in a looping motion where you're going up and landing down with all of that in motion going forward at the same time combined with your body weight like Bruce Lee explained in how to do a proper punch in Jeet Kune Do. This punch should be executed very fast but I'm trying to explain it so you get the entire picture. Just remember when you start your elbow should be bent with your fist clenched cocked back and ready to explode. Your arm will be down and that side of your face will be exposed but if you wanna execute a devastating overhand right then you should definitely try this. It's the only way from my experience. It should be done in competition only when you could time your opponent for it or when you already have him rocked and it's going to finish him off because this is basically the most devastating punch you could throw, maybe even more than an uppercut.

da-faq.jpg

Well I tried. At least somebody will read this, understand what I'm saying and not get their vaginas all twisted over it.

Well I tried. At least somebody will read this, understand what I'm saying and not get their vaginas all twisted over it.

I liked your explanation... Do you keep hold of hold your nunchucks throughout?

Is a good counter the laughing spider monkey dragon punch?

They're more effective against Pacquiao not because he's a Southpaw, but because his response to them is to lean back and give himself no real means to evade them if he judges the distance wrong. He's always relied too much on leaning, both offensively and defensively.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, this thread just got neglected by me in general. The punch does lose power when the elbow goes above the shoulder, so if you can reduce how much the elbow raises and still throw the punch, you're going in the right direction. As for the head, the tile exercise should answer that question.
what do you mean by southpaws slipping to the left sinister? What do you consider different to an orthodox fighter?

I mentioned Pac's reaction, all he ever does it pull straight back with his hand up, and twist to try and get his hand in the way. It's a poor defensive maneuver against that particular punch.

However, I don't agree that would land on an orthodox fighter's shoulder. Maybe Floyd Mayweather's shoulder, but not your standard issue orthodox fighter. Marquez lands plenty of similar punches on them. And if memory serves me the one definitive punch I think he did land on Floyd was that right when Floyd was against the ropes and had nowhere left to go. Will it always hit their chin? No, but cracking a guy in the temple with an overhand right is nice, too.

In this HL, check out how many times he lands it against Barrera:

I see exactly what you mean by Pacs reaction to it but if he was orthodox at least he'd be able to shell up his chin behind that shoulder. He doesn't really have that option being southpaw.

JMM is good with that OHR against ortho fighters but as you mentioned he is hitting much higher and not nearly as likely to connect with their chin. And in that hl he connects with Pacs face straight up the middle quite a few times. Just seems like a higher percentage shot against southpaws.

What is the proper defense against an overhand right? Being honest, I suck ass at avoiding right hands in general. And I'm certain every time that I'm about to slip right into a looping punch rather than a straight one.

I'm orthodox and I will roll left under it if I see it in time and counter with left hook to head/body depending on range or if I react late I'll just slip right with my left shoulder high so at worse it skims off my bonnet at a shallow angle, then counter back with my own right hand.

Sounds good. I need to work on my timing and just the overall feel for the left slip (to my left, I mean). The mechanics get bungled whenever I'm in front of an opponent, and I feel like I have to bring my head too close to the punch in order to get off line, when in reality I should never be coming forward at all, just twisting and dropping. More tile exercise for me, I suppose.

The overhand right is usually a slower harder punch to land so if you're not going for power then you might as well throw something else. In that case power is something you have to have and get a feel for. Whether it's from youth and testosterome, something inside of you, etc. Overhand right mechanics are not all that important because if you don't have power you'd just be throwing a slow punch that isn't going to win you the fight, knock anybody down, or hurt that person. That's the truth pussies.

Gosh, it's like we just met and I'm already eagerly awaiting your ban.

The overhand right is usually a slower harder punch to land so if you're not going for power then you might as well throw something else. In that case power is something you have to have and get a feel for. Whether it's from youth and testosterome, something inside of you, etc. Overhand right mechanics are not all that important because if you don't have power you'd just be throwing a slow punch that isn't going to win you the fight, knock anybody down, or hurt that person. That's the truth pussies.

you just went full retard on this one man...:eek:

26324833.jpg

Well you are going to get ban for sure bro.

Oh no! I'm a grown ass man. It doesn't matter if I get banned or not. I'm not saying anything anybody else would say if they were responded with insults. So I insulted you homies back. I'm not gonna take this shit. If the moderators wanna ban me for that then they're just as bad as you guys. Wouldn't surprise me if it's all just one guy insulting me.

If you people spent more time with your families and reading up on good human values instead of fighting all the time and whatever "manly" things you think you're good at (but aren't any better than I am, you'll never be a professional fighter probably just big fat nerd virgins that love Chuck Liddell) maybe you'd not be such shitty human beings that you have to bash peoples opinions and life experiences that they're sharing over the internet. I put my heart into what I post sometimes and if all you pieces of shit don't like that then go suck my dogs dick. Matter a fact fuck Sherdog and fuck Josh Gross. Dana White is right bitches. Matter fact, go head and just ban me motherfuckas. Fuck this piece of shit website. Kiss my ass motherfuckas! Suck my overhand right sucking ass motherfucking dick!

HOORAY! PIECE OF SHIT KISS MY MOTHAFUCKIN ASS!

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm a grown ass man. It doesn't matter if I get banned or not. I'm not saying anything anybody else would say if they were responded with insults. So I insulted you homies back. I'm not gonna take this shit. If the moderators wanna ban me for that then they're just as bad as you guys. Wouldn't surprise me if it's all just one guy insulting me.

If you people spent more time with your families and reading up on good human values instead of fighting all the time and whatever "manly" things you think you're good at (but aren't any better than I am, you'll never be a professional fighter probably just big fat nerd virgins that love Chuck Liddell) maybe you'd not be such shitty human beings that you have to bash peoples opinions and life experiences that they're sharing over the internet. I put my heart into what I post sometimes and if all you pieces of shit don't like that then go suck my dogs dick. Matter a fact fuck Sherdog and fuck Josh Gross. Dana White is right bitches. Matter fact, go head and just ban me motherfuckas. Fuck this piece of shit website. Kiss my ass motherfuckas! Suck my overhand right sucking ass motherfucking dick!

HOORAY! PIECE OF SHIT KISS MY MOTHAFUCKIN ASS!

^ that's good human values right there , folks !

Ps - the reason you got smoked here is because you're a fool with no considerable knowledge of anything you wrote on.

Back