Overhand Right Mechanics?

Unfortunately very few Southpaws nowadays are taught how to pivot or slip properly to their left. Fortunately for me I had to do a lot of sparring against a guy who PRIMARILY throws over-hand rights, so learning that was a necessity.

Im right handed but adopted fighting southpaw and find slipping to my left awkard,how would you recommend doing it properly?

I dont think this is a great example though. Marquez set up both examples by setting pac up to the body. That forced him to draw his elbows into his body. This was succesful largely because mannys a southpaw and he tends to square up thereby literally opening himself up to be hit on either side. Its brilliant technique by marquez but not "textbook".

Im right handed but adopted fighting southpaw and find slipping to my left awkard,how would you recommend doing it properly?

Check out the tile exercise thread.

I dont think this is a great example though. Marquez set up both examples by setting pac up to the body. That forced him to draw his elbows into his body. This was succesful largely because mannys a southpaw and he tends to square up thereby literally opening himself up to be hit on either side. Its brilliant technique by marquez but not "textbook".

What makes it not "textbook?"

IMO what makes it not Textbook is that Mannys an southpaw, An unorthodox one at that . In my opinion Marquez has tailored that particular punch for the particular fighter that manny is.Most folks learning to box will not be taught as if they were boxing a southpaw much less one like paqcuiao.

I'm asking you what you think it is he's doing so differently that makes it...well, different.

Hey you're at Jonny's right? You know the Casal's? Ray, Nick, Leslie, Anthony? I trained at their gym in Niagara Falls 1998-2002.

I'm asking you what you think it is he's doing so differently that makes it...well, different.

Marquez isnt turning the punch over. You can see his elbows are facing horizontally much like they would in a hook. when you throw an overhand right you r elbow should be turned towards sky as you drop it down on the target. I may be wrong but thats how i was tought.
An example of what i think is Textbook is brought to you by Tim Witherspoon. The fireworks start at 1:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfVcUCVifI

Hey you're at Jonny's right? You know the Casal's? Ray, Nick, Leslie, Anthony? I trained at their gym in Niagara Falls 1998-2002.

Does this answer your question?

(BTW if you watch that whole video, it contains the greatest nut-shot in Tocco's History.) I met Nick first, we trained together at Top Rank's Gym before I came to Tocco's. Then when I came to Tocco's Lesli was running the place. Then I met Anthony once I took over, and he and I are the tightest.

Marquez isnt turning the punch over. You can see his elbows are facing horizontally much like they would in a hook. when you throw an overhand right you r elbow should be turned towards sky as you drop it down on the target. I may be wrong but thats how i was tought.
An example of what i think is Textbook is brought to you by Tim Witherspoon. The fireworks start at 1:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfVcUCVifI

I think what you're seeing is just Marquez accounting for the fact that Pac is moving away from the punch. If you turn Pac around, it would land just the same, so I don't think it's because he's a Southpaw. It's a distance adjustment. If he were closer, Marquez wouldn't need so much of a compensation with the elbow-placement.

I don't disagree, I was probably being Pedantic. Definitions are by rule pretty rigid. A prizefighter doesn't have that luxury, from what i hear. thanks for the reply.

Is one of them you ?

No, I am neither Chuy, nor Anthony Lenk. Im taking the footage and assisting in Anthony's corner. I have sparred Anthony a week out from a fight of his, when he was very sharp. It sucked.

They're more effective against Pacquiao not because he's a Southpaw, but because his response to them is to lean back and give himself no real means to evade them if he judges the distance wrong. He's always relied too much on leaning, both offensively and defensively.

They are more effective not only because he is a southpaw but that is one of the reasons they are effective against him as well as his reaction to them. That second gif really shows how open he is against the OHR as it goes right around his defending arm. If that had been against an orthodox fighter he would have hit the shoulder and not his chin.

I mentioned Pac's reaction, all he ever does it pull straight back with his hand up, and twist to try and get his hand in the way. It's a poor defensive maneuver against that particular punch.

However, I don't agree that would land on an orthodox fighter's shoulder. Maybe Floyd Mayweather's shoulder, but not your standard issue orthodox fighter. Marquez lands plenty of similar punches on them. And if memory serves me the one definitive punch I think he did land on Floyd was that right when Floyd was against the ropes and had nowhere left to go. Will it always hit their chin? No, but cracking a guy in the temple with an overhand right is nice, too.

In this HL, check out how many times he lands it against Barrera:

What is the proper defense against an overhand right? Being honest, I suck ass at avoiding right hands in general. And I'm certain every time that I'm about to slip right into a looping punch rather than a straight one.

Two.

Don't be there or pivoting combined with good lateral movement.
If you got good height , long arms you can do a high block with your left arm , not the triangle arm on head one but more like a Nazi salute . See George Foreman or Larry Holmes .

It also gives u a lot of countering opportunities (especially if you use the more sideways stance) so a good defense might also be to counter back and do it clean.
See James Toney , Mike McCallum , Floyd jr

Last edited:
What is the proper defense against an overhand right? Being honest, I suck ass at avoiding right hands in general. And I'm certain every time that I'm about to slip right into a looping punch rather than a straight one.

Dunno about the nazi salute lol but I think answering the phone is the only way to block this one..

And slipping an overhand is bad, I think if your at just the right distancd for a straight right you will be out of range of the overhand

The tile exercise contains your answer.

Plus a slip in the right direction.

Back