Overhand Right Mechanics?

Discipulus

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAAMAG suggested a thread get made about this, and I'm interested to hear his thoughts, as well as those of any others around here.

Not too long ago Sully had a thread about working the short chopping right, but perhaps we could get a little more in depth in regards to the long overhand right. What's the proper way to throw it? I'm sure a good many people will say that a long overhand isn't actually proper punch, and I'm interested in hearing about that, too. Where does the power come from? (It's tough to link your hips into the punch when you lift the elbow, it seems) And when is the proper time to throw this punch? In before someone makes a joking comment about using it as a lead from kicking range a la Chuck Liddell. :wink:

Let's hear it.

Well it's a punch you can do a lot of different ways, I don't think theres a set "correct" way. You can throw it at a lot of angles, from almost being a horizontal hook to nearly being vertical and coming down from above. I think it's good for getting around people's guards and you can put pretty much all your power into it. I don't know what you mean about not being able to throw your hips into it because I've never had that problem.

Also: read overhand. (see clip below)

Last edited:
I don't really know if it generates more power or if it's just harder to see coming and almost always lands on the "right spot".

Anyway, I guess the length of the lever arm plays a role. The path traveled by the fist is longer so it generates more torque and power. But as TS said, hard to say if you can put all your body behind it and generate the same force as in other kinds of punches.

I realize this doesn't really answer anything, but the subject is interesting and I'd like to know more about it.

Think of throwing a right hook but your shoulder angled 60-90 degrees, by your head being kept safe on your opponents right side.

Its a great deceptive punch in boxing because when Marquez throws it, it looks like hes trying to go to the body with a left hook or right hand. THe reason it works so well is because people follow where the head is going and level changes
iY68RuMBKxC5x.gif

Its even more deceptive in MMA when done properly because looks likes you are going for a double

Last edited:
I think it has its place strategically for tagging taller fighers, just check out gus vs shogun.. Especially if the taller figher has a lazy jab

Biggest thing IMO is moving your head off center as you throw the punch

Edit: and treat it like any other weapon in your arsenal. Set it up with other strikes, chain other attacks off of it.

Too often I see people head hunting with it as a single strike

Last edited:
Sully's thread is basically the go-to on what to do with the legs. The rest is just arm angle degree (at the elbow).

Sully's thread is basically the go-to on what to do with the legs. The rest is just arm angle degree (at the elbow).

Does the punch lose power once the elbow goes above the shoulder, or is there a way to avoid that? And what about head position? Is it possible to throw an overhand in the style of Marquez without the head going forward so drastically?

I'm making a video review actually of this punch from a clip I found on you tube. It's not the ideal but it illustrates some key things to do and not to do (IMOAE). Should be up shortly.

To answer the question, the less your punch is in coordination with your body, the less power you will have. The JMM punches above looked to be more like haymakers than overhands--though they were in an arc. The first was more of an over-arc, the second more of a looping hook.

I prefer my overhands to be tighter and not so long and looping. Not that the way JMM is doing it is "wrong"...it's just not MY preference.

Last edited:
There are plenty of ways to execute overhand- moving forward, moving backwards, sideways, as a counter, as a offense...
The mechanics are different with every set up.
I like variation with a bit more torque in the thighs, to include the legs into the punch.
Also, I prefer to throw the right hand almost like I throw an elbow, driving the right shoulder forward...

Last edited:
Its a great deceptive punch in boxing because when Marquez throws it, it looks like hes trying to go to the body with a left hook or right hand. THe reason it works so well is because people follow where the head is going and level changes
iY68RuMBKxC5x.gif

Its even more deceptive in MMA when done properly because looks likes you are going for a double

Those are two great gifs of how you can set it up properly off of feints. They are even more effective against Pac because he is a southpaw.

They're more effective against Pacquiao not because he's a Southpaw, but because his response to them is to lean back and give himself no real means to evade them if he judges the distance wrong. He's always relied too much on leaning, both offensively and defensively.

Does the punch lose power once the elbow goes above the shoulder, or is there a way to avoid that? And what about head position? Is it possible to throw an overhand in the style of Marquez without the head going forward so drastically?

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, this thread just got neglected by me in general. The punch does lose power when the elbow goes above the shoulder, so if you can reduce how much the elbow raises and still throw the punch, you're going in the right direction. As for the head, the tile exercise should answer that question.

Since I tower over most everybody , it's a punch I almost never get to use

:(

On the other hand , when I spar heavier guys but my height , it's a bomb !
Love the feel of it ......especially against a southpaw.
Opposite stances , coupled with the appropriate head placement , it's practically a free shot !
Throw a long up jab after (lead uppercut to body or head if same stances)

Last edited:
Unfortunately very few Southpaws nowadays are taught how to pivot or slip properly to their left. Fortunately for me I had to do a lot of sparring against a guy who PRIMARILY throws over-hand rights, so learning that was a necessity.

I'm a switch hitter. I probably box better as a SP (though I've got more variety and power as an orthodox) especially for amateur rules.
Slipping I can do , pivoting to the left .......now that's hard.

As a sp , f i have to , i counter the OVH right by going under and out with a right hand hook to the head or body.
My main defense to that is always angling and distance though.
I'm always too much to his left and too far and threatening with a quick left (rear) straight through.
Works for me but harder against guys who keep marching forward slinging hat shot again n again.
As an orthodox , I love these guys ^ though. Counter right uppercuts all day !

Because its a similar chamber, when someone first starts training, they often can't do a cross and overhand. Quite funny really. Its a great punch because its unorthodox.

Back