Media Overeem's lip injury broken down by a doctor.

For the people who don't have the patience to watch a five minute video (which is like 90% of this forum), the relevant part is at 3:35.

Cliffs -
  • Overeem's injury is a "through and through," meaning it wasn't just superficial damage to the skin and tissue.
  • He had a muscle tear that had to be repaired.
  • Probably not career threatening in and of itself, but there might be long-term issues related to muscle functionality where his lip was ripped up.
  • Might permanently affect the way that his face looks and his speech.

ehhh. looks bad, but at the end of the day its just his lip. nothing life or career threatening at all. once it heals up he'll be back to normal. itll probly just look like he had a cleft lip

He might never be the cunning linguist he once was again.

giphy.gif

No matter what second of that round it was and who was ahead on points.
When this happens, a fight should be stopped.
And I'm a Reem fan.

Last edited:
Yeah.

Still thought it was a terrible stoppage and that he should be about 1, or 2 tops, away from a TS.

The doc in the vid said it was due to the lip tearing on the teeth.....

No mouth guard?
he had one in. doc meant to say lip tearing against mouth guard

No matter waht second of that round it was and who was ahead on points.
When this happens, a fight should be stopped.
And I'm a Reem fan.
imagine what another hard shot to the same spot wouldve done... im a reem fan too and as much as that sucked to watch happen at the end of the fight, i agree it was the right call

What does 5 seconds left on the clock and Jair walking away have to do with anything? He sustained a fight ending injury. It's literally the worst cut many have ever seen in MMA making Lawler's seperated lip look like a paper cut by comparison. Why are you so desperate for Overeem to get a win he didn't deserve?
The ref likely didn't even notice the cut until after the stoppage.
So the argument here is about whether the stoppage was correct given the information at the time.

People want stoppages to be based on the rules. Even if a stoppage turns out to be fortunate in hindsight, people can still argue it was an incorrect decision.

The main debate is whether or not fights should be stopped as opponents hit the ground. Is that conclusive enough to stop the fight due to a KO - or should they wait a while longer.

PS: Personally I'm fine with the result. I think that the Reem hitting the ground with limp arms proved he was out for a while, which to me is enough to call a KO. But I know a lot of people disagree and say "this isn't boxing, a knockdown isn't enough". And I'm not confident enough about the UFC rules to say what's enough to call a KO.

Last edited:
Yeah he should have ripped his face off just for your entertainment.

Bad stoppage though right guys?

the referee didn't stop Overeem from incurring more harm. in fact, the referee was too fucking slow to get there to save Overeem had Rozenstriuk chosen to punch him again.
ConventionalScrawnyEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

the fact Rozenstriuk turned around and began to walk away and celebrate before the referee even did anything should alone, tell you that it was a bad stoppage. not to mention that Overeem immediately gets back up.

the ref should've been waving the fight off as he rushed in, OR waved the fight off as soon as he got there to break it. but he didn't, he waited until Overeem stood back up and wobbled over to the corner before he saw his lip and actually stopped the fight.

basically the fight was stopped because the referee was disgusted by Overeem's cut, not because Overeem wasn't intelligently defending himself or because Rozenstriuk was unloading power strikes on him.

nobody is arguing that the cut isn't bad or that it would've been horrible had he continued to take damage or that it would've been fair to stop the fight if it occurred with more time on the clock, but 5 secs, the dude is still awake and conscious, and the other guy has already walked off is a bad stoppage.

For the people who don't have the patience to watch a five minute video (which is like 90% of this forum), the relevant part is at 3:35.

Cliffs -
  • Overeem's injury is a "through and through," meaning it wasn't just superficial damage to the skin and tissue.
  • He had a muscle tear that had to be repaired.
  • Probably not career threatening in and of itself, but there might be long-term issues related to muscle functionality where his lip was ripped up.
  • Might permanently affect the way that his face looks and his speech.
[/QUOT
I always felt Overeem was a Heavyweight Fighter with a Welterweight head.

YouTube quack talking inaccurate bullshit. Interwebz these days.

the referee didn't stop Overeem from incurring more harm. in fact, the referee was too fucking slow to get there to save Overeem had Rozenstriuk chosen to punch him again.

the fact Rozenstriuk turned around and began to walk away and celebrate before the referee even did anything should alone, tell you that it was a bad stoppage. not to mention that Overeem immediately gets back up.

CarelessLittleAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

I heard an interview with Rozenstruik on Luke Thomas's show. He said that he walked way because he saw Mirg running towards them out of the corner of his eye. Mirg also puts his hands on Rozenstruik when he ran in. That wasn't a premature celebration. He was reacting to the ref.

Also, these gifs are slowed down. There was nothing wrong with Mirg's response in real time.

the ref should've been waving the fight off as he rushed in, OR waved the fight off as soon as he got there to break it. but he didn't, he waited until Overeem stood back up and wobbled over to the corner before he saw his lip and actually stopped the fight.

This isn't true.

You need to go back and watch the fight and pay attention to the time.

The fight officially stopped as soon as Mirg touched Rozenstruik. The point where he waves his arms after Reem stubbled was when time would have already expired.

It's confusing because Mirg waved his arms after the fact, but the fight was recorded as being officially over as soon as he touched Rozenstruik.

the dude is still awake and conscious, and the other guy has already walked off is a bad stoppage

The standard for a stoppage is when the ref assesses that the fighter can't take damage anymore. Being "awake and conscious" is irrelevant as is the amount of time on the clock.

Mirg had every right to stop the fight based on the way that Overeem went down and the superficial damage on his face. If you disagree, I sincerely hope that you're never in a position to officiate fights.

Last edited:
Well, no shit, you can clearly see all layers from skin trough muscle to skin again sliced completely,

r9i79vtbuc341.jpg

I just wonder how the hell is it possible that this shit isn't bleeding like crazy.

While relatively small gash on the forehead can cover half of the octagon in blood.

There was a decent amount of blood, this is a still from right after the doctor wiped down his face.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.46.11 PM.png

But yeah, I am surprised that it wasn't consistently gushing out.

Last edited:
Perfect stoppage. Good job Jairzinho and Dan.

Last edited:
The ref likely didn't even notice the cut until after the stoppage.
So the argument here is about whether the stoppage was correct given the information at the time.

People want stoppages to be based on the rules. Even if a stoppage turns out to be fortunate in hindsight, people can still argue it was an incorrect decision.

The main debate is whether or not fights should be stopped as opponents hit the ground. Is that conclusive enough to stop the fight due to a KO - or should they wait a while longer.

PS: Personally I'm fine with the result. I think that the Reem hitting the ground with limp arms proved he was out for a while, which to me is enough to call a KO. But I know a lot of people disagree and say "this isn't boxing, a knockdown isn't enough". And I'm not confident enough about the UFC rules to say what's enough to call a KO.

We've seen fights stopped over way less violent shots even if there wasn't a cut. The punch sent Overeem flying onto his ass and he got up and he was stumbling around. Jair didn't follow up because he assumed the fight was over. Imagine if he had followed up with more punches.

Think what's really going on is Overeem's fanboys are literally desperate for him to become champion. And now it's getting further out of reach, so naturally they aren't happy.

basically the fight was stopped because the referee was disgusted by Overeem's cut, not because Overeem wasn't intelligently defending himself or because Rozenstriuk was unloading power strikes on him.

nobody is arguing that the cut isn't bad or that it would've been horrible had he continued to take damage or that it would've been fair to stop the fight if it occurred with more time on the clock, but 5 secs, the dude is still awake and conscious, and the other guy has already walked off is a bad stoppage.

It actually doesn't matter the "reason" for the stoppage, because in actuality it was a good stoppage due to the damage Overeem sustained. Whatever the ref's "thinking" was is irrelevant. Overeem sustained fight ending damage.

He lost the fight, deal with it.

Well, no shit, you can clearly see all layers from skin trough muscle to skin again sliced completely,

r9i79vtbuc341.jpg

I just wonder how the hell is it possible that this shit isn't bleeding like crazy.

While relatively small gash on the forehead can cover half of the octagon in blood.
there aren't any big arterias in that area, as opposed to the forehead and top of the skull. also, the adrenaline effect which contracts blood vessels

Back