Overeem's career resurgance

I think everyone is forgetting..Rothwell KO'd Reem about a year ago, I think he is more deserving of the title shot. There would be no doubt, however, if he beats JDS next.

Happens at HW. One punch ends fights. Guys like Overeem, Arlovski and Mir can appear back after landing a few bombs and then boom. One punch and theyre cracking again. And that's why we love them.

He's very exciting to watch and is highly skilled, also great in interviews. Never understood why he has so many haters. Wish he was still on the horse meat though.

yes, he was completely dominating those fights. more times than not a fighter in overeems position versus both of those opponents either finishes or at least wins a decision.

but it's mma and shit happens.

No, shit doesnt just "happen". Against Browne Overeem ate a kick his opponents had just thrown 7 times, and against Bigfoot he got wrecked in the third. Its not like he got struck by lightning.

I don't know, Reem's had winning and losing streaks before...but it always seems to come back to...

overeem-knockout.gif

He's a massive K1 champion with more wins by submission than KO. He's one of the few HWs with legitimately elite skills.
If he sorts out his mental game, he's a nightmare for anyone

Yup... it is pretty good.

I always said he was the most skilled HW in the world but never put it all together. Plus his cardio and chin are below average.

But this shows how skills+gameplan from Jackson-Winklejohn can get you really far in the sport. He has been fighting the perfect fights lately.

I would love to see him fight Cain.

Anyone who knocks out JDS is a beast
At this point in time in the UFC heavyweight division this is what defines him from the rest. No one has stopped JDS purely in the stand up. Overeem went through the paces, timing, control and patience. He needed to learn not to look for the finish but let it materialize.

He should he have won two fights in which he got KO'd? Huh?
lets be real here, those shots came out of nowhere from fighters that were currently getting thrashed. Overeems chin is his biggest enemy

Unabashed fan of The Reem. Think he is the most highly skilled all-around guy at HW. I give him respect for always looking to improve, and never giving up on his career, even after so many losses. His chin is an absolute liability, which makes his fights incredibly tense and nerve-wracking, but he also has the potential to end fights in a variety of different ways. Not many guys hit harder with punches, kicks, and knees; can take you down and pound you out, submit you, etc. Just an all around killer with improving gameplanning and defense.

The PED bust really hurt his stock, but he's looked pretty impressive after the switch to Jackson's.

He has amazing skills and accuracy (1st in the whole UFC, more than 75% significant strikes accuracy, which is more than 10% than the guy that took second place in the ranking, I forgot who it was, this can be checked in the UFC website).

He has to have them if he wants to win fights with very weak chin. And he wins those fights. If you put any other guy in his position with a chin like that, they wouldn't win any fight. Every top fighter gets blasted in the chin a lot, they survive only because of their chin.

Jackson/Wink...best career cpr people in the biz, imo

At this point in time in the UFC heavyweight division this is what defines him from the rest. No one has stopped JDS purely in the stand up. Overeem went through the paces, timing, control and patience. He needed to learn not to look for the finish but let it materialize.
#PatientReem

reem the most lovable cheater.

the new drug testing protocol is actually good for these guys, as we consider them clean now.

he hasn't proven much even now tbh. Knocking out JDS is impressive, but I don't think anyone ever questioned his power. His kick boxing style is not great for mma. He likes to stand right in front of his opponents and pick his shots, while blocking punches with his arms. This is not a great style for small gloves. JDS gave him too much respect and played right into his game.

Juiced or not, Reem is the same guy. He has always had skill and power. He has always lacked stamina and a chin.

He is hanging around near the top because he is a HW. The division is seldom good and never deep. Reem seem marketable and so he is always a couple of KO wins away from a title shot.

Unless there was some sort of iffy reffing or judging the fighter who won should have won. That's not accounting for fanboyism though. When you're emotionally attached to a fighter, you look at his losses as aberrations and mistakes, and when he wins that's what was supposed to have happened all along.

If all of overeem's ko/tko losses are "aberrations" he must be the most unlucky fighter in history.

His last fight he won by knock out but I was not that impressed with his strategy but it worked so their you go
It was boring but he neutralized JDS' offense and got the KO. He was more reckless against Nelson and got caught with a right and dropped with a left. He wasn't going to take that chance with JDS.

Back