Overeem's career resurgance

He should he have won two fights in which he got KO'd? Huh?

yes, he was completely dominating those fights. more times than not a fighter in overeems position versus both of those opponents either finishes or at least wins a decision.

but it's mma and shit happens.

yes, he was completely dominating those fights. more times than not a fighter in overeems position versus both of those opponents either finishes or at least wins a decision.

but it's mma and shit happens.
Unless there was some sort of iffy reffing or judging the fighter who won should have won. That's not accounting for fanboyism though. When you're emotionally attached to a fighter, you look at his losses as aberrations and mistakes, and when he wins that's what was supposed to have happened all along.

he embarrassed browne and bigfoot in the 1st round which were 10-8 !!! he just didnt have enough time to get his body acclimated to no test which is why he gassed in 2nd round and got fluke koed

I believe in Reem! :p

But I love Werdum too...would be cool to see the trilogy completed but don't want to see either lose... Want Werdum to retire as champ, then Reem take the belt. Unlikely to happen that way though seeing how close to a title shot Reem is now...

He's gotta be the only fighter to get off the sauce and improve.........allegedly

He had 'resurgences' like that his whole career to be fair.

He's just that type of fighter that can beat anyone, but usually won't.

He definitely has decent chance to get the title at current HW.

Now he seems completely aware that his chin doesn't hold up and avoids positions where he's opportune to taking some damage like death itself. His defense very much dictated the pace of the JDS and Nelson fights I thought.

I would get very excited for Reem/Werdum 3 and quite frankly that's the one I was the most looking forward to, but alas doesn't seem like it's happening

Well most of those loses were his fault. Even tho he claimed "blackzilians" he trained away from them and brought his own guys in so it was pretty much reem using gym space and that's it never sparred with his own team like sponge does.

Even tho he did that the loses were bad cardio and bad cardio management he was winning against bigfoot and got tired in the last round he couldn't even lift his arms.

In the browne fight he looked like a straight killer and his hands were sharper then they have been in a long time because of Mike but again he floored it and gassed after damn near killing browne with knees and strikes. At Jackson's they have that perfect balance of explosion/cardio/saving cardio. He's not taking unnecessary strikes he's more calculated.

SleepySphericalBream_zpsil1uuomb.gif

Big Ben Bless

Less than 2 years ago Overeem was almost written off by everyone. He had a mere 2 wins from 5 showings in the octagon having lost by KO to Silva and Browne, with his only wins coming over an injury plagued Lesnar and a very deflated Mir. Now on 3 fight win streak (2 via KO/TKO one of which was against the former champion) he is on the cusp of a title shot. I think Overeem should be given a lot more credit, especially since most thought after the UFC'S anti doping polices came in he would have no chance. He has shown great resilience in a career that has exceeded over 15 years. I hope Overeem gets to fight for that title and I for one hope he wins.

Overeem's career resurgence?

That happened after 2007; going 1-4 (or 2-5) after losing to Sergei Kharitonov. Overeem then went on an 11-0 run.

Losing two in a row to Bigfoot and Browne the wasn't that earth-shattering... the Frank Mir win (Ranked Top 10) lifted him right back up... and Overeem was still ranked Top 10 even after the loss to Rothwell (#9 HW by MMA Junkie Ranking, Sep 23, 2014)

susumu25.jpg

Last edited:
His flaw of crumpling under pressure has done wonders for his career longevity and probably saved him some severe concussions.

I really like watching him fight and I enjoy the documentaries too. Win or lose, he's good for the business.

Unless there was some sort of iffy reffing or judging the fighter who won should have won. That's not accounting for fanboyism though. When you're emotionally attached to a fighter, you look at his losses as aberrations and mistakes, and when he wins that's what was supposed to have happened all along.

Well I mean Browne basically verbally tapped twice, not to mention he ate about 100 unanswered shots, so yeah there was some iffy reffing in the Overeem/Browne fight

Pride total elimination absolute back in 06 my friend. Werdum got a Kimura on him. They have a win over each other.

Ah, good times. I miss the old Overeem though before he became a horsemeat phenomenon. I wish he would start carrying his big old hammer again.

According to kimura.se Alistair Overeem is back in the UFC .

"Alistair Overeem last went his last match on his latest UFC contract , when he knocked out Junior dos Santos in the second round for " UFC on Fox 17 " . Now it has become clear that Overeem decided to extend with the organization , which is communicated through " EPIC MMA " .

Alistair is expected to go off at " UFC Rotterdam " on May 8
"

http://www.kimura.se/alistair-overeem-fornyar-sitt-ufc-kontrakt/

Last edited:

Has nothing to do with fanboyism. You go back in time to the middle of those fights and it is highly likely that Reem comes out the winner. The Rothwell fight was bad although with Rothwells recent winning streak it looks much better now. Back then it almost seemed embarrassing and everyone was giving up on Overeem because losing to Rothwell like that was just too much.

Back