Overeems boxing is average at best

you got guys in MMA with huge standup success like Hendo, Hendricks and Nelson who by boxing standards look like a joke throwing wild haymakers. Overeem looks much crisper in comparison to them. MMA is just different.

i don't understand how Reem having better hands would've helped him in his last 2 fights. nobody catches him when he's fresh. it's not like these guys were outboxing him up until he got caught. his main weakness is gassing out, and not having a dependable chin.

Aerts was 39yo or 40yo in the first fight....

modacanina4.jpg

Yea he was also still beating guys like Shilt and Bonjasky

Yea his boxing is nothing special. He has no head movement, really poor defense, doesn't know how to throw combinations, etc... But he fights MMA so he could get away with having poor boxing if his chin and cardio were better.

I wouldn't say he doesn't know how to throw combinations but rather he only throws a few simple combinations with his hands. Usually jab, cross, hook, hook. Everytime I see him hitting pads it's pretty much the same combo or a slight variation of it. He now has Pedro Diaz at Blackzillians yet still relies on Roberto Flaminco for his boxing. Kind of odd if you ask me. If nothing else, Diaz could improve his defense and probably also improve his punches a good deal. I think Big Mike is a good coach to up his aggression but I don't know how much technique he's improving.

So what credentials does your instructor have that allows him to make a statement like that about a professional fighter? How many pro fights has your instructor had? How many boxing champions has he coached?

It's easy to sit on a couch, or teach some MMA class in some gym somewhere, and hurl insults. But unless I know what creds your coach has to back up his claim, I'm not buying it.

For the record, Overeem's striking is good. It may be overrated - but to call it "shabby" is fucking ridiculous...

Overeem's striking is mediocre at best if you compare it to people in other weight classes. He used to be a much better striker @ LHW, but he can't even move properly with all the weight he has now. He just got finished quickly by Bigfoot and Browne. That's not a decent striker guys.

He'd be a much better fighter today if he stayed at 230 and focused on technique. All his losses at LHW were against people like Shogun, Chuck, Rogeiro etc. No shame in that.

For the record, Overeem's striking is good. It may be overrated - but to call it "shabby" is fucking ridiculous...

Compare Overeem's striking to an elite striker in Aldo.

His striking looks like a bad joke in comparison. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I didnt forget, was a good body shot, and happened to be Meins only victory that night, the rest of the figth was brown smashing him to bits.

The rest of the fight was Browne smashing? Hell no. Browne did nothing. He landed a lot of front kicks and they where all missed except one.
Browne did a good job surviving the early onslaught, but you can't say he was winning the fight from the first minute. That's really bullshit.

i think his biggest skil was his size and power. wihtout roids he loses that and all he's left with are his knee's if he doesn't gas or get hit too much. he doesn't like being hit at all. u see him make bad decisions as soon as he gets rocked

Good thing he's not a boxer. If you think his striking isn't good you need to attend more weekly classes. He doesn't throw many combo's in MMA because of the threat of TD's, in K1 there are plenty.

Good striker and good power but just can't finsih.

Looking forward to his next fight.

He did well in K-1 cause he could cover up easier with the bigger gloves. For MMA, to have that take a few shots covered up and counter style only really works by avoiding the strikes altogether like Machida/Edgar. The only time I've seen someone successfully cover up with gloves at a higher weight class and counter was Page/Wanderlei III.

Werdum took advantage of that in their strikeforce fight and threw away a win by continually pulling guard. Reems boxing is good. It's just not good for mma cause of the gloves.

Good thing he's not a boxer. If you think his striking isn't good you need to attend more weekly classes. He doesn't throw many combo's in MMA because of the threat of TD's, in K1 there are plenty.

It's not about him not throwing combos.

His footwork is a mess, his defence is a mess, his gas tank is non-existant, he can't take a decent shot, etc.

Just compare him to elite strikers in Aldo and Anderson. Overeem is not a good striker. He does have some dangerous tools that lasts for half a round though..

So what credentials does your instructor have that allows him to make a statement like that about a professional fighter? How many pro fights has your instructor had? How many boxing champions has he coached?

It's easy to sit on a couch, or teach some MMA class in some gym somewhere, and hurl insults. But unless I know what creds your coach has to back up his claim, I'm not buying it.

I was hoping someone would ask me :D. Our boxing coach is Adam Booth, who also happens to be David Hayes trainer so ;) ;) ;) ;) ;). Check mate!

his chin is below average, and he lost that aura he had for a minute when he came over from strikeforce.
overeem still has probably the most brutal knees in the business though.

when has he mentaly folded? he smashed browne and bigface easily til he gassed. his problem is gas and chin. thats it. and never compare brock to reem

Back