Overeem was killing Shogun on the feet.

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Pride 33 was a great final show for Pride. 34 sucked! The main event was awesome with a roided up Hendo KOing a roided up, gassed out Wand with a left hook of all things.

Before that was Nick subbing Gomi after pitty patting him almost into submission lol but the best fight was:
images494VHA0D.jpg

Overeem was absolutely murdering Shogun in the stand up but the fight ended with probably the greatest one strike KO while diving into a guard in MMA history!

PRIDE RULES !

Was about to like your post until I saw the last sentence

What matters is the end of the fight was shogun murdering overeem.

Pride 33 was a great final show for Pride. 34 sucked! The main event was awesome with a roided up Hendo KOing a roided up, gassed out Wand with a left hook of all things.

Before that was Nick subbing Gomi after pitty patting him almost into submission lol but the best fight was:
View attachment 658523

Overeem was absolutely murdering Shogun in the stand up but the fight ended with probably the greatest one strike KO while diving into a guard in MMA history!

PRIDE RULES !
Overeem was murdering everyone during round 1, back in those days.

1XAXNd1.gif

Well, Overeem is a better stand up striker and in the clinch. Shogun had great TDs and that's how he beat Overeem BOTH times even though Shogun stopped Reem the 2nd fight by diving into his guard knocking him out

It went a lot like the first fight except Overeem did better on the feet and got finished worse :)

Overeem looked good vs almost everyone in Pride early on but I wouldn't say much of significance happening standing, Reem blocked(and countered with strikes)a few takedown attempts from Shogun who's gameplan was clearly to put him on his back. Probably the most significant strikes of regular standup Shogun landed just before the takedown.

I honestly think that Shogun's ground and pound is some of the best ever. TBH, he might have been even better than he was if he had a wrestling-based gameplan

I honestly think that Shogun's ground and pound is some of the best ever. TBH, he might have been even better than he was if he had a wrestling-based gameplan

A lot of his Pride success was via grappling, a mix of that and very aggressive striking. I'd guess he shifted away from the grappling due to the knee injuries.

Pride FC s website was just so cool,I am still rocking with my Pride FC tshirt proudly

Shogun from what I remember got most of his knockouts on the ground. He was far more dangerous on the ground than he was standing up.

Overeem is probably one of the best offensive fighters we've seen in MMA. That chin tho...

Shogun actually got a lot better in his UFC career to be honest. His boxing improved ten fold.

From the Liddell fight to the second Hendo fight was his prime.

Hendo took his chin which was one of his best weapons. He took shots to give them.

In pride he was sloppy but he was so durable and athletic people couldn't handle it. In his UFC run he developed into a technical mt sniper with a beautiful flow. It was cool to see. He was a brawler that learned from Wand at the end of the day. Wand is super underrated too he's the best lhw ever imo

Reem is one of the technically best fighters of all time, both striking and grappling. He just never had the durability

Will always love both fighters

Shogun > Overeem.

Shogun proved it twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back