News Overeem VS Volkov targeted for February 6th. Who takes it?

If Reems shows up in a Wrestling singlet he might take this. Otherwise it's Volkov via methodical striking.

Volkov destroys him on the feet. Overeem might take him down but won't be able to do anything significant with it.

Volkov by front kick to the face

images

Think people also forget that his coaches have just finished a full camp for volkov.

Heart says reem, mind says fuck knows.

Reem's "stand there and shell up while eating everything coming my way" tactic that he used against Sakai won't fly against Volkov. The guy's too good of a striker. Not immensely powerful, but powerful enough when it counts -- especially considering how much more technical and accurate he is on the feet than most Heavyweights.

I think Reem will definitely try to employ his grappling against Alexander, but I don't know how much success he'll find there. Blaydes -- a far more proven wrestler and one of Alistair's primary training partners ever since he brutalized him in their fight -- struggled immensely in taking Volkov down and holding him down, much less dealing meaningful damage once he had him there. Werdum was able to land a few takedowns against Volkov prior to the Curtis fight, but also struggled to do anything of note with them before getting finished on the feet. I've said repeatedly that Reem's ground game is underrated, but I don't know if it's the secret sauce here.

I'm favoring Volkov by UD or TKO in the second half of the fight, but I could see Reem pulling something off. Alexander's inconsistent/porous striking defense in the pocket is always a cause for concern; Old Man Reem still has plenty of power and is a sufficiently crafty striker to pick up on holes in an opponent's arsenal like that. Maybe he lands a heavy shot during a clinch break and finishes Drago on the ground. I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

Old time Reem fan here but this one is hard to call. My heart says Overeem, my head says this is Volkov's coming out party.

Speaking of Reem, it's amazing that he's still fighting in 2020/2021. Just goes to show you, all the PRIDE FC guys far outlasted their UFC counterparts from the same era. Where are the Sylvia's, the Hughes', the Franklin's, the Liddell's, the Pulver's of the world? All far into retirement, that's where they are. Shogun and Reem are about to fight soon and on winning streaks in 2020.

Been following mma and training BJJ and mma since 2004 and I am amazed that Shogun and Reem etc are still at it professionally. I'm sore and tired every morning haha

Reem's fights are hard to pick, as already said, but this is good matchmaking. 2 guys who are very skilled from distance. It'll be good technical kickboxing. Maybe Reem takes him down.

Though Volkov is a methodic mother fucker, Reem can be too, it's a very high IQ match up.. I'd probably edge Overeem via strength advantage in the grappling, could be completely wrong.

Hard to call any Reem fight but I think he can decision Volkov or score a late stoppage. Still not massively sold on Volkov.

Volkov had much much easier time with Harris. Look for Reem to mix up wrestling like he always does - we shall see if it's enough.

Just seen Overeem VS Volkov targeted to headline February 6th card.
Who do you see taking it and how do you see the fight playing out?

A fight I have personally been hoping too see for a while now.

Any chance a mod can put a poll up for this too?

All Volkov has to do is stick his long arm to that chin one time and it's over.

A good match up for Volkov.
Volkov by KO.

Great match up, I think Volkov gets it done. He's a dark horse though I'd like to see Reem win.

good fight. the winner of this is right behind francis and blaydes/lewis

Back