Overeem should take Stipe down

S

SouthoftheAndes

Overeem has great takedown defense and good grappling and ability to get to his feet. I doubt Stipe can get Reem down or hold him there. And Stipe fancies himself a striker so I figure he will look to try and beat Reem on the feet.

Which is exactly why Overeem should throw off Stipe's game. Kicks his legs and take his ass down, take him down as much as you can and try and keep him down. Reem has good ground and pound and decent takedowns. If he could hold Stipe down or just damage Stipe enough and tire him out in the clinch and via takedowns it will take a lot of Stipe energy away.

I don't see Reem taking it in that direction, but I think he'd have a huge advantage in top position. Plus, let's not forget that he showed some pretty decent submissions back in the day.

Wasn't Stipe a ncaa champion in wrestling?

Don't see overeem taking him down

Overeem has a very solid ground game, I could very well see him submitting Stipe

Wasn't Stipe a ncaa champion in wrestling?

Don't see overeem taking him down
Not a champ, but he was D1

To TS, I say good luck. Taking him down is one thing, keeping him there is another. Stipe is not used to being on his back which could work well for Alistair if he ends up there for extended periods, but I don't see it. Plus, if Alistair can't finish there, he'll only get tired quicker. Stipe's gas tank will be deeper no matter what, so dragging this out into a war and a battle of wills might not be Overeem's best bet

Reem's a good grappler, but not that good. He couldn't take Browne down, doubtful he could take Stipe down.

Not going to happen. The only way he would take Stipe down was if he were trying to steal a round somewhere

Mixing it up would be good.

He has a good ground game but his takedowns aren't the best. Many of his opponents see him coming a mile a way with his telegraphed takedowns.

Overeem has very good ground and pound, so yeah it will be the smartest move for him. He will find out very quickly in the fight about Stipe's hand speed and boxing, he will realize quickly that Stipe is way too fast and fit for him. Overeem better be working on his takedowns, or he is gonna get dropped hard and early.

It's not been easy to get Stipe down much less keep him there. I think he's been kept on the mat less than 1 minute total in his entire career.

Overeem has very good ground and pound, so yeah it will be the smartest move for him. He will find out very quickly in the fight about Stipe's hand speed and boxing, he will realize quickly that Stipe is way too fast and fit for him. Overeem better be working on his takedowns, or he is gonna get dropped hard and early.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stipe impose that. But you really think he wants have a striking battle with Overeem? Dude Overeem is motherfucker for anybody standing. I think 9 times out of 10 you have to survive a beatdown from Reem til he gasses an then gets knocked out like a white belt. Rothwell is the only guy I recall crumbling a refresh Reem. After watching the Hunt fight an seeing how well Stipe can stick to a smart game plan an defending the belt I have a feeling he is to avoid as many risks as he can til Reem gasses out. The gameplan for Stipe will be to use the one area he has the most advantage in his cardio and try to grind out Reem with a clinch or hold him against the cage if he can an maybe take him to the ground. An even in the clinch you have to worry about the most devastating knees in the business. It may just come down if Stipe can survive the initial onslaught of overeem if he gets in his face. Stipe don't want to play a distance game with him an let him set up strikes. I am very interested to see what Stipe does he has handful.

He is with Jackson now so surely they will co
I don't see Reem taking it in that direction, but I think he'd have a huge advantage in top position. Plus, let's not forget that he showed some pretty decent submissions back in the day.

He is with Jackson now so surely they will come up with some amazing game plan. So much of fighting is game plans and different plans. Whatever Greg Jackson does he has a very solid record having his fighters win fights.

Assuming it isn't a close decision loss or the fighter was totally outclassed.

I think Stipe has better take down defense than Overeem has takedowns

I wouldn't mind seeing Stipe impose that. But you really think he wants have a striking battle with Overeem? Dude Overeem is motherfucker for anybody standing. I think 9 times out of 10 you have to survive a beatdown from Reem til he gasses an then gets knocked out like a white belt. Rothwell is the only guy I recall crumbling a refresh Reem. After watching the Hunt fight an seeing how well Stipe can stick to a smart game plan an defending the belt I have a feeling he is to avoid as many risks as he can til Reem gasses out. The gameplan for Stipe will be to use the one area he has the most advantage in his cardio and try to grind out Reem with a clinch or hold him against the cage if he can an maybe take him to the ground. An even in the clinch you have to worry about the most devastating knees in the business. It may just come down if Stipe can survive the initial onslaught of overeem if he gets in his face. Stipe don't want to play a distance game with him an let him set up strikes. I am very interested to see what Stipe does he has handful.
Not a bad post. but to answer your initial question, I don't think stipe has any problem striking with Overeem. Not in the sense that he will walk through Overeem, but mentally, I think Stipe is prepared and confident going into a stand up fight with him

He is with Jackson now so surely they will co

He is with Jackson now so surely they will come up with some amazing game plan. So much of fighting is game plans and different plans. Whatever Greg Jackson does he has a very solid record having his fighters win fights.

Assuming it isn't a close decision loss or the fighter was totally outclassed.

Having Jackson in his corner didn't help Arlovski much against Stipe, though.

And Stipe's team is also big on gameplanning, they go through the opponent's fight footage like it was the Zapruder film.

Cunning gameplan vs cunning gameplan...unless one can outguess the other's gameplan and counterplan...crap my head's starting to hurt. It's like an Octagon "Inception".

It's not been easy to get Stipe down much less keep him there. I think he's been kept on the mat less than 1 minute total in his entire career.

Who has seriously tried to get him there though? I haven't seen all his fights.

Having Jackson in his corner didn't help Arlovski much against Stipe, though.

And Stipe's team is also big on gameplanning, they go through the opponent's fight footage like it was the Zapruder film.

Cunning gameplan vs cunning gameplan...unless one can outguess the other's gameplan and counterplan...crap my head's starting to hurt. It's like an Octagon "Inception".

Arlovski isn't known for great grappling, or takedowns. Reem has better takedowns and Arlovski isn't really known as a kicker or diverse a striker as Overeem is.

Who has seriously tried to get him there though? I haven't seen all his fights.

Beltran took him down in Stipe's first fight, Gonzaga a couple of times I think, then JDS? Gonzaga's really the only one whose style it fit to do so, I suppose, so maybe you have a point about Stipe not really being challenged so far on that front. Nevertheless his wrestling is not to be taken lightly.

Back