Overeem Overcoming Adversity

Irishhandbomb

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As title states, it was amazing to see Overeem overcome adversity yesterday during his fight with Oleinik.

Reem was hit with some heavy shots, but kept his composure and stuck to a solid game plan.

When put under pressure and heavy strikes Overeem has a history of collapsing, at least during his tenure in the UFC. He seemed calm and got the big W and was humble in victory.

War Reem.

GloomyThornyIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Actually he didn't, he said in the post fight interview nothing really hurt him, but he understood it looked that way.

Normally i would call bullshit, but i believe Alistair when he says shit like that.

WAR OVEREEM

<Goldie11>

Actually he didn't, he said in the post fight interview nothing really hurt him, but he understood it looked that way.

Normally i would call bullshit, but i believe Alistair when he says shit like that.

WAR OVEREEM

<Goldie11>
I’m sure you’re not biased in anyway

I don't think he was ever actually hurt, he's just aware of his own shit chin so he was turtling instead of risking getting hit every time Oleinek started swinging wildly.

He didn't look hurt at all, not even a little bit.
9/10 times the commentators yell he is hurt, they are wrong, like today.

He seemed like he went in there with a really simple and specific gameplan. Also didn't seem to really wanna hurt the dude. Once the dude dropped his head down in the clinch though...Reem can't resist being handed an opening for those knees.

WAR OVEREEM

<Goldie11>
Fair, but not simply claiming he was on the verge of being finished.

I saw a big difference in how he kept composure as Alexey moved forward aggressively as opposed to many of his fights in the past (Rothwell and Bigfoot come to mind).

It seemed he faced as much adversity from Alexey as he did internally - sticking to a clinch heavy game plan; his real bread and butter.

Anyway, thanks for the note.

He wasn't hurt. He used rope a dope.

WAR OVEREEM

<Goldie11>
Actually I believe he said it looked bad and it connected, but he never got nervous. I interpreted that as Reem saying he got hurt, but he never lost his wits (like many do when hurt), he was ready to fire back. He definitely got clocked clean and was on a pair of size 14 bambis for a second there.

First question so no time stamp.

Also nice thread TS, tired of all the troll threads, Overeem is one of those guys who deserves recognition for never giving up.

Last edited:
I agree TS -- Overeem has come a long way since his losses early on in his UFC tenure. I applaud his newest version fighting smarter and more strategic. It was neat to see him display some resilience against such a dangerous opponent. I felt he would beat Oleinik but when Oleinik has him against the cage, he survived an onslaught and maintained his good take down defense in a situation where many lesser fighters would not have been able to survive. It was a very impressive win in my opinion.

I actually I believe he said it looked bad and it connected, but he never got nervous. I interpreted that as Reem saying he got hurt, but he never lost his wits (like many do when hurt), he was ready to fire back. He definitely got clocked clean and was on a pair of size 14 bambis for a second there.

First question so no time stamp.

Also nice thread TS, tired of all the troll threads, Overeem is one of those guys who deserves recognition for never giving up.

Thanks for the link.

"It might have looked like I was in trouble; it didn't look too good. Other than that I was very relaxed."

His relaxed approach and just overall sense of calmness is what really amazed me. He fought smart but still got the finish. Looking forward to a Volkov match!

Let's not get too excited. He won a short, violent, back-and-forth striking match against a 41-year old grappler.

I like Oleynik, but gosh his striking is bad. He was throwing these crazy looping punches - it almost look like what you would see in a street brawl.

It didn't look like he ever got caught flush, he was covering up and Oleinik is not a striker.

Did the same thing in the Hunt rematch.

Alistair doesn't seem to wilt like he used to. His recent losses have all seen him get put out cold, not give up or panic.

Didn't watch live but read the play by play. I wouldn't really know what spot they were talking about when he was 'hurt'. I think Overeem's done that a few time anyway in the past where he covers up against the fence to actively defend instead of reactively covering up from being hurt.

Back