Overcoming slumps

fwb

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been wrestling in highschool for 4 years. My sophmore year I went varsity and did amazingly well, going nearly undefeated (only lost once, to the division champion), also ended up winning the school's athletic "most improved" award nominated by my coach. However, since then, I've fallen into a huge slump. My junior year I barely won half my matches and didn't even place in the finals. Now it's my senior year, and I have yet to win a match (0-2). I have no idea whats going on. I thought at first my poor performance junior year was because I was too harsh on cutting weight and it weakened me. Therefore, I decided to forget about drastic weight cuts this year, and just get as strong as I can and go from there. Still no luck.

I really have no idea what's happening to me. I have twice as many years of experience now, but my record is the inverse of what it used to be. Anyone have advice for getting out of slumps?

fwb said:
I've been wrestling in highschool for 4 years. My sophmore year I went varsity and did amazingly well, going nearly undefeated (only lost once, to the division champion), also ended up winning the school's athletic "most improved" award nominated by my coach. However, since then, I've fallen into a huge slump. My junior year I barely won half my matches and didn't even place in the finals. Now it's my senior year, and I have yet to win a match (0-2). I have no idea whats going on. I thought at first my poor performance junior year was because I was too harsh on cutting weight and it weakened me. Therefore, I decided to forget about drastic weight cuts this year, and just get as strong as I can and go from there. Still no luck.

I really have no idea what's happening to me. I have twice as many years of experience now, but my record is the inverse of what it used to be. Anyone have advice for getting out of slumps?
Wow, good luck man. The EXACT same thing happen to me, and I was never the same again. I have been stuck in this slump for like a year and a half now. I am being deadly serious. I even went out an bought a few books about the mental part of being an athlete, and even that didn't help. I would suggest picking up a book called "Mind Gym" by Gary Mack. The book isnt that expensive and it could help you out. I hope you figure it out man, cause I have yet to...

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Wow, good luck man. The EXACT same thing happen to me, and I was never the same again. I have been stuck in this slump for like a year and a half now. I am being deadly serious. I even went out an bought a few books about the mental part of being an athlete, and even that didn't help. I would suggest picking up a book called "Mind Gym" by Gary Mack. The book isnt that expensive and it could help you out. I hope you figure it out man, cause I have yet to...

lol, damn. Yeah I'm pretty sure it's mental as I'm in the best shape of my life right now. Just can't put my thumb on it though......

Yes, actually he noticed it more than me. He has just suggested different new sets of moves or strategies to try for a match or two at a time, haven't been too successfull though....I swear I've tried everything :/

well damn, just went 1-2 in a tournament, and the one win was due to an injury forfeit....

I'm getting so frustrated. I decided I am going to cut 10 lbs and get into a lighter weight class, cause obviously I can't do crap where I'm at now. Freeze weight day is in 6 days though so it's going to be tough. I'm really determined to get out of this slump...whatever it takes.

Back