Overall Gi Ranking Results

BorisBJJ

White Belt
Reaction score
About a month ago I got the 1000th response for my BJJ Gi Survey. I sent the data to BA, a statistician, who processed the data and used a technique to measure which Gi brands are most preferred.

Check out my blog to see the graphs which describe which brands are most and least preferred among the Overall polled population, among Tall people, Short people, Light people, Heavy people, etc.

I've discussed the results in my blog, and if you have any commentary on the survey, the results and the writeup, I'd like to hear it here.

See the results on my blog here: Jiu Jitsu Theory and Practice

BA, the statistician who did the "Overall gi Ranking" for the survey at Aesopian's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Journal has sent me graphs which analyze the data from my survey.

"I have run a multinomial logit on the whole dataset. After cleaning up a few entries and removing (Your Academy's / Association's gi) as I wasn

im amazed that break point is ranked so high. i still think shoyoroll is a superior brand, but thats just my opinion.

Really neat survey. Is there any way to get the dataset that BA ended up running tests on? I see the raw data on your blog but I'm sure BA had to do some cleaning to get the dataset he used.

I am curious at looking at the relation between price and ranking.

Wow. Pretty surprised about Breakpoint... How many people rated that gi?

Interesting. Does anyone else notice that the surprise results miraculously mirror the positive review of the survey's conductor? Might just be a coincidence. I wonder if he's sponsored of affiliated with BP in any way. I'm just as surprised as most of you.

I've never even seen a Breakpoint Gi in real life so this confuses me as well.

I've never even seen a Breakpoint Gi in real life so this confuses me as well.

I've known 4 guys who bought them only one guy wears his now. My instructor is taller and lanky and he complained about the fit. The Gi's look good, but the only guy that still wears his only owns that gi and a century gi.

Yeah, I too realized the survey mirrors the fav gi of the surveyor. Coincidence? Who knows.
But I am certain that out of a total of 35 that actually own this gi...only 17 listed it as fav. Thus 17 out of a total of over 1000 participants of the survey.
This is indeed interesting, but only that.
Those 17 could potentially be from the same academy and putting the same gi forward as a fav.

Further more...how out of 17 that like it, can it rank so high for fit for heavy, light, tall and short people. Split the 17 in 4 and you have approx 4 per category. Hmmm...call me a bit sceptical I suppose, but that judt doesn't "fit".

Yeah, I too realized the survey mirrors the fav gi of the surveyor. Coincidence? Who knows.
But I am certain that out of a total of 35 that actually own this gi...only 17 listed it as fav. Thus 17 out of a total of over 1000 participants of the survey.
This is indeed interesting, but only that.
Those 17 could potentially be from the same academy and putting the same gi forward as a fav.

Further more...how out of 17 that like it, can it rank so high for fit for heavy, light, tall and short people. Split the 17 in 4 and you have approx 4 per category. Hmmm...call me a bit sceptical I suppose, but that judt doesn't "fit".

If you read my writeup, you will see that the way I gathered respondents for the survey should not have favored any one school over another. I advertised the survey to different forums where Jiu Jitsu practitioners post. I made sure not to advertise my survey at any schools and was very careful not to bring it up at my own school.

Also, your facts are incorrect. 19 of 35 owners (not 17) called Breakpoint their favorite. Their locations were varied (and thus from differing schools) - 7 from CA, 3 from the United Kingdom, 2 from TX, 2 from AZ, 1 each from FL, HI, NY, Canada and 'Other.'

The graphs and data were processed by BA, an independent statistician, and the respondents' data is available for viewing and download on my blog. I ensure you the results were unbiased and impartial.

If you read my writeup, you will see that the way I gathered respondents for the survey should not have favored any one school over another. I advertised the survey to different forums where Jiu Jitsu practitioners post. I made sure not to advertise my survey at any schools and was very careful not to bring it up at my own school.

Also, your facts are incorrect. 19 of 35 owners (not 17) called Breakpoint their favorite. Their locations were varied (and thus from differing schools) - 7 from CA, 3 from the United Kingdom, 2 from TX, 2 from AZ, 1 each from FL, HI, NY, Canada and 'Other.'

The graphs and data were processed by BA, an independent statistician, and the respondents' data is available for viewing and download on my blog. I ensure you the results were unbiased and impartial.

Boris,

With regards to my earlier post, can BA supply his cleaned up data set? It appears to be well-done. However, I would like to look at price effects on the gi rankings. That may enable users to get a feel of "best gi for the price".

There were only 8 entries which he deleted because he believed they were duplicates.

I have the 8 entries in a text document.

But the uncleaned data set is available from a link in this blog:
Jiu Jitsu Theory and Practice: BJJ Gi Survey Results

That is, this link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...QMlR5QXVQLU5PaUE&hl=en&authkey=CNP125YP#gid=0

But yeah, if you're interested, I can post the document he sent me which describes the 8 entries he cleaned out of the data. Let me know if you'd like it, cause I'll have to post it later when I get back to my desktop.

Back