Overall analysis of Jones - Cormier fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gregoire1, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота

This was a great fight, lets discuss it. I have a couple of questions for whom watched the fight at least one time.

1. How you scored it round-by-round?
    2. Who won striking battle overall?
    3. Who do you think won if fight consisted from 3 rounds and would it close?
    4. Who won wrestling batlle in your opinion and could we do the conclusion from these who is better MMA wrestler?
    5. Who won in your opinion the clinch battle?
    6. Did Jones fight more in the clinch and went for takedowns rather than keeped distance to give the message he is better in wrestling and clinch?
    7. According to damage done and the conditions at the end of the fight was it close fight or not? Who looked more exausted? less active and in trouble? Who would won 6 round, if it exist?
    8. Was these fight more close than Jones- Gus and why?
    9. Would DC chances in rematch better than in the first fight? Who had better chance in rematch Cormier of Gus?
    10. If Jones choosed best possible strategy for these fight? And DC?
    11. Who won the activity battle and octagon control overall?
    12. If the odds would be different if they fought in HW?
    13. If Jones underestimated Cormier like Gus?

2. TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

I thought it was super competitive but DC had the fight going his way up until the eye poke. Then DC just inexplicably stops doing every single thing he was doing and became a punching bag.

Pretty frustrating actually.

3. Jin Akutsu

Jin Akutsu Gengar Belt Platinum Member

1. Jones 1,4,5. Round 3 draw, Round 2 Cormier.
    2. Jones.
    3. Hard to say.
    4. Jones.
    5. Early on, Cormier. Later, Jones.
    6. Probably.
    7. Yes, both were tired, DC gassed a bit earlier. Neither look too terrible, although post-fight Cormier was feeling the body shots. You could tell at the post-fight presser.
    8. No. Cormier tired out late and got figured out.
    9. Maybe. Gus.
    10. He chose a strong game that would have mental effects. DC did what he had to, needs to work on the cardio if he can.
    11. Jones.
    12. Haven't seen Jones at HW. Hard to say.
    13. Who knows?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. Spearfish CA

Spearfish CA Silver Belt Platinum Member

Jeez TS I feel like I'm doing homework
    1 2nd round was close cant remember who I scored it for, the rest went to Jones
    2 Jones
    3 Jones, might be a 29-28 but a clear win for Jones
    4 Jones, yes he's the better MMA wrestler
    5 Jones
    6 I think he felt comfortable in there and Cormier felt most comfortable in there so it ended up there
    7 Cormier looked like he'd given up and knew he was defeated. Not too much damage from either guy but Jones controlled and Cormier knew he wasn't good enough and it showed on his face. RD 6 Jones. Jones looked fresher too
    8 Gustafsson fight was way closer
    9 well his chances of winning the first fight are 0 so yeah, lol. But I would expect Jones to win by even more next time. Gustafsson has a better chance in his rematch
    10 Not sure I understand the question, but I think Jones fought smart in this fight and could fight a smarter fight vs AG next time. DC made some mistakes, he kept looking for takedowns in the fifth when he must have known he needed a finish. Let the fifth round be a wall and stall which he wasn't even winning.
    11 Jones
    12 No
    13 No

5. vkram

vkram Brown Belt

1. DC 2 JJ 1,4,5 (round 3 was a draw IMO)
    2. Jones (very close)
    3.Draw IMO or if you mean the fight was supposed to be 3 rounds then Jones would has adjusted to that.
    4. Jones
    5. Jones
    6. Most probably
    7. DC gassed after round 3, the longer the fight went on the more JJ was in control.
    8. No, Jones was never really in any trouble
    9. Hard to say, time isn't on Cormier's hands. However, you can say that JJ underestimated Gus in the first fight and would be much more prepared for the rematch.
    10. Good strategy. Jones has a great fight IQ (and a great coach). DC was doing well until he gassed.
    11. Jones
    12. Hard to know. Would help if we saw Jones fight at HW.
    13. No

6. Uncommon Valor

Uncommon Valor Super Fly

How you scored it round-by-round?

1. I had Jones winning every round except for the 2nd round. Although nothing really happened in the 5th around.

Who won striking battle overall?

2. Jones.

Who do you think won if fight consisted from 3 rounds and would it close?

3. Jones.

Who won wrestling batlle in your opinion and could we do the conclusion from these who is better MMA wrestler?

4. Jones.

Who won in your opinion the clinch battle?

5. Overall, Jones.

Did Jones fight more in the clinch and went for takedowns rather than keeped distance to give the message he is better in wrestling and clinch?

6. I believe so, yes.

According to damage done and the conditions at the end of the fight was it close fight or not? Who looked more exhausted? less active and in trouble? Who would won 6 round, if it exist?

7. I guess you could say it was close, but in my opinion, Jones clearly won the fight. Cormier, and even he stated that the bodyshots started to wear him down. Cormier. Jones. Cormier was exhausted and had pretty much given up in round 4.

Was these fight more close than Jones- Gus and why?

8. No, it was obvious who won this fight.

Would DC chances in rematch better than in the first fight? Who had better chance in rematch Cormier of Gus?

9. Possibly, but I don't see how he could beat Jones. Especially considering the fact that Jones beat him everywhere. Gus.

If Jones choosed best possible strategy for these fight? And DC?

10. Yes. DC has a good strategy, but Jones adapted to his gameplan and figured him out.

Who won the activity battle and octagon control overall?

11. Jones.

If the odds would be different if they fought in HW?

12. It's impossible to say considering the fact that we have never seen Jones fight at HW.

7. mental mickey

mental mickey Yellow Belt

Obvious troll is obvious

8. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

Short answer, 4-1 Jones and Jones beat Cormier everywhere except uppercuts.

Jones/Gus was much closer imo. There's zero argument for DC winning the fight, but you could argue Gus eeked out 3 rounds. It's a poor argument, but it exists.

9. ostlerrage

ostlerrage Black Belt

Very competitive up to the end of round 3 with Cormier ahead. Then the strange levels of hormones in his blood kick in enabling him to hold cormier against the cage for 2 rounds getting the decision.

10. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Reported for trolling.

11. mmacrosstrain

mmacrosstrain Orange Belt

True! The Gus fight had pretty much everyone waiting & wondering who won that fight. Gus still feels he won. Most people had an idea who won the Cormier fight. Cormier does not even believe he won the fight.

12. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота

And in the Bones- Gus you think it wasnt obvious?

13. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

I thought that until the eye poke it was fairly even. Jones won round one. DC won round two. Both rounds were highly competitive and contested. Round three was about level until the eye poke, and then, in my mind, Jones took it but I can see a vague case for DC. Jones then won rounds four and five. 4-1 on my card, but I can see 3-2.

14. Uncommon Valor

Uncommon Valor Super Fly

In my eyes, yes. However, it was MUCH closer than DC/Jones.

15. sickboy_1

sickboy_1 Brown Belt

That's extremely self righteous of you.

16. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I didn't report him. Was just a way of saying "obvious troll post".

17. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

1. Jones 1,3,4,5.
    2. Jones, great body work.
    3. Jones 29-28. It would be close
    4. Jones won the wrestling and I believe he's the better MMA wrestler. His hand fighting and positioning in the clinch is phenomenal and where he excels over Cormier.
    5. Jones no question
    6. I think it was just a mid-fight adjustment.
    7. I'd say Jones, Cormier has spoken on the damage to the body he suffered. They both were tired though Jones had more of a second wind than DC. Jones would win a 6th.
    8. JJ/Gus was closer. Gus could have been scored the winner while Cormier could not.
    9. I can't gauge that until DC has a rebound fight but he could do better in places. I believe Gus is the tougher rematch from what I've seen.
    10. Not sure of the question here. I guess still Gus.
    11. Jones outpaced DC.
    12. I don't think JJ/DC at HW would affect how a fight between them played out. DC's conditioning was less of a problem compared to the body shots he absorbed.
    13. No comment

18. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

Bones won.

It was fairly painful because I wanted DC to win.

Jon won. Hats off to him.

19. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

What fight were you watching? Dc won 1 round. That's it. He was out struck, out wrestled and out clinched. Jones' beat him at ever single facet of the fight. the eye poke. dc took about 10 seconds to rest. IT didn't affect him.

20. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

Certain things are now coming to light about how jones trains. The guy literally never sets foot in a gym, until it's time to get ready for the fight. And he barely trained for Gus. Yet, he still won.