Over 7 years later and I still don't understand why Punk/Danielson didn't main WM 2014

Him vs. a speeding bus or a train is a dream match because then we wouldn't have to watch any more of him on AEW.

Him vs. a speeding bus or a train is a dream match because then we wouldn't have to watch any more of him on AEW.

I still wouldn't call it a dream match...a public service worthy of the noble prize if the guy driving the bus or train hits maybe...but not a dream match.

I still wouldn't call it a dream match...a public service worthy of the noble prize if the guy driving the bus or train hits maybe...but not a dream match.
I didn't call it a dream match. It was AEW's marketing machine.

What ever you want to call it, the paying audience ate it up.

Paid their whole $15 <Lmaoo>

At least they like wrestling and they aren't acting like arrogant bitches like some people.

Going "atleast"....the last strawman of the desperate.

<PlusJuan>

The irony is this is also out of bounds.

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif

Yea, I'm not going to get into a back and forth about something I don't care about. And I don't like talking to mods. So please never, ever quote me again.

I'm talking about CM Punk and Bryan Danielson. Here's a good match between them and which could have been 1000% better as the main event of Mania 2014.

Yea, I'm not going to get into a back and forth about something I don't care about. And I don't like talking to mods. So please never, ever quote me again.

I'm talking about CM Punk and Bryan Danielson. Here's a good match between them and which could have been 1000% better as the main event of Mania 2014.

I'll be sure to remember the thing about not quoting you ever again. Putting it in the old digital planner...right...now...go it!

So this went from a 2014 shoulda/coulda thread to a CM Punk and maybe Bryan Danielson appreciation thread?

Both are still wrong and both have still proven to not move the needle with people not in the rasslin bubble btw.

So this went from a 2014 shoulda/coulda thread to a CM Punk and maybe Bryan Danielson appreciation thread?

Both are still wrong and both have still proven to not move the needle with people not in the rasslin bubble btw.
seems more like a low key ts wants a bryan n phil eiffel tower thread.

don't quote me on that tho,
its just a hunch.

seems more like a low key ts wants a bryan n phil eiffel tower thread.

don't quote me on that tho,
its just a hunch.
I don't even know what you are trying to say.

I'm saying that clearly Punk and Danielson should have been the main event for Mania 2014. It's clear in 2021 and it was very clear in January 2014.

I thought of this because they both recently debuted in AEW. It's not as if I was saying Sid and Bam Bam out of nowhere.

The arguments against aren't even good. If someone said that the match wouldn't be as good as Orton/Batista or something that I could see their point. But they are saying that Batista was a "big star" at the time when he wasn't. Orton wasn't either. The WWE could have done their Evolution Explodes match without the title.

Talking about "moving the needle". We aren't comparing CM Punk to 1999 Steve Austin. We are comparing him to 2014 Blandy Orton and Dave Batista. Orton/Batista weren't "needle movers" either as apparent when the company lost network subs when Batista won the Rumble. The fan reaction to Orton/Batista main event was so negative that the company changed the match.

Batista/Orton wouldn't have sold one more ppv or added one more network sub than Punk/Danielson. And Punk/Danielson wouldn't have lost one more ppv or lost a network sub. So the needle mover argument is really stupid.

One goof even said that Punk and Danielson are mid-carders for life. If that was true, why was Danielson added to the main even anyway. Why did the entire Rumble crowd completely turn on Batista's win. Why was Punk champ for over a year. They are "stars" by whatever metric and to say other wise is trolling and/or hating.

The WWE ended up adding Danielson to the match anyway and they lost Punk as a result. And Batista wasn't going to win the title and stay. He was gone right after Mania. Technically around June (just before the Guardians release). He made very sporadic appearances regardless.

There is no good reason that Punk/Danielson shouldn't have been the plan from the start and no one in this thread has made a good argument in the contrary.

I don't even know what you are trying to say.

I'm saying that clearly Punk and Danielson should have been the main event for Mania 2014. It's clear in 2021 and it was very clear in January 2014.

I thought of this because they both recently debuted in AEW. It's not as if I was saying Sid and Bam Bam out of nowhere.

The arguments against aren't even good. If someone said that the match wouldn't be as good as Orton/Batista or something that I could see their point. But they are saying that Batista was a "big star" at the time when he wasn't. Orton wasn't either. The WWE could have done their Evolution Explodes match without the title.

Talking about "moving the needle". We aren't comparing CM Punk to 1999 Steve Austin. We are comparing him to 2014 Blandy Orton and Dave Batista. Orton/Batista weren't "needle movers" either as apparent when the company lost network subs when Batista won the Rumble. The fan reaction to Orton/Batista main event was so negative that the company changed the match.

Batista/Orton wouldn't have sold one more ppv or added one more network sub than Punk/Danielson. And Punk/Danielson wouldn't have lost one more ppv or lost a network sub. So the needle mover argument is really stupid.

One goof even said that Punk and Danielson are mid-carders for life. If that was true, why was Danielson added to the main even anyway. Why did the entire Rumble crowd completely turn on Batista's win. Why was Punk champ for over a year. They are "stars" by whatever metric and to say other wise is trolling and/or hating.

The WWE ended up adding Danielson to the match anyway and they lost Punk as a result. And Batista wasn't going to win the title and stay. He was gone right after Mania. Technically around June (just before the Guardians release). He made very sporadic appearances regardless.

There is no good reason that Punk/Danielson shouldn't have been the plan from the start and no one in this thread has made a good argument in the contrary.
200px-Tour_Eiffel_Wikimedia_Commons.jpg

Back