Outside Of The Gus/Rumble Winner.....

Level of competition matters. Many an MMA fighter has looked like a badass in the minor leagues and failed to deliver on the hype in the UFC.

For example once upon a time people were saying that Sean McCorkle could be the next big thing at HW. He was an undefeated prospect with a ton of first round finishes, both KOs and Subs. He is tall and has huge reach. He even came into the UFC and subbed recent HW title contender Mark Hunt in the first round in just over a minute. Then he got finished in his next two fights and returned to the regional MMA scene.

MAYBE, just maybe Liam he is legit, but it will be hard to tell until he faces top competition. As of now his biggest win seems to be a guy who failed to make it into the TUF house. I think it is a stretch to place him in the same conversation as Jon Jones, DC, Gustaffsson, etc...

*Yes I have seen Liam fight. I do not see what TS claims to see.

Yes I did mention that he is untested, however I don't think that is reason enough to write him off. McCorkle had a good record but anyone who actually watched his fights knew he wasn't a world beater. It's a been a while since someone int he heavier weightclasses has looked as good as Liam has, even against low competition.

He is interesting because of his size and because of his ability to attack on the feet and on the ground. He has looked far more dominant than McCorkle or any other recent prospect did.

That guy who couldn't make it into the TUF house lost a very close decision to the guy who went on to win the show, not embarrassing imo.

Last edited:
Pretty much every great fighter started out by dominating meh competition, not fair to assume he would fail against top competition just because he hasn't had the chance to fight them yet.

I think there is a pretty good chance he beats Newton and Mo. Both guys are going to have trouble getting in on him without getting popped. Even on the ground he is super active and constantly attacks with subs.

I'll reserve judgement after Newton is a bigger step up th an usual for up and coming prospects

I'll reserve judgement after Newton is a bigger step up th an usual for up and coming prospects

Fair, I just think he is one of the more interesting future opponents for Jones.

Maybe he can br a yhreat to jones down the line...but it is too early to assume...he sud first get into the UFC...so many cases where undefeated fighters cud not deliver...or won against the good ones but failed against the elites...u can take the example of miles jury...he was undefeated...beat sanchez pretty well butngit humilated and spanked by cerrone...but again...u cant judge...everyone starts frm the small leagues:)

Wow are you serious? saw this Victor Ortiz look alike twice or three times, he's fun to watch and that's it, he can't hang with the big boys.

Hopefully he gets active after winning the Bellator title...

He could have wins over Newton, Tito and King Mo by the end of the year, which would certainly garner him some attention.

Back