Outside Of The Gus/Rumble Winner.....

melvinj0

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is the only LHW I think could give Jones a good fight.

liam-mcgeary-bellator-100.jpg

6'6 with excellent striking, not the best take-down defense but he works well from his back. Still fairly untested but he has the skills and size to possibly give Jones a challenge imo.

Liam+McGeary+Stuns+Mike+Mucitelli+Bellator+118.gif

GleamingAmusedGlassfrog.gif

Liam_McGeary_vs._Najim_Wali.gif

tumblr_nbudco5QdM1rofocqo1_400.gif

I'd say the Gus/Rumble loser and, y'know, the rest of the top 10 at LHW probably have a better chance.

But that's just like, my opinion...man.

Big fan of McGeary but he'd get fucking mauled.

Not a fucking chance

A little early to write him off, he hasn't shown much weakness and is only gonna get better. Not saying he is gonna storm into the UFC and beat Jones any time soon, but he is a HUGE guy who has displayed a lot of skill. Could be an interesting match up down the road.

I'd say the Gus/Rumble loser and, y'know, the rest of the top 10 at LHW probably have a better chance.

But that's just like, my opinion...man.

Meh, tbh I'd rather see Jones fight a 6'6 undefeated monster than OSP, Manuwa, or Davis.

Mid-2015: JBJ v Gus/Rumble winner

Late-2015: JBJ v Cain at HW

2016: JBJ v Weidman at 205 (assuming Weidman beats Vitor +2 more)

JBJ defeats them all, is the GOAT, but then losses to 41 y.o. Anderson in late 2016.

McGeary is great... his killer instinct is impressive and the guy is one of the heaviest punchers at 205.

Said that I think that he needs a few more years... he is still green despite being in his 30s.

Robert Drysdale would wrestlefuck him. :wink:

He'd be more promising if he was younger

He's not going to be undefeated after Feb. 27

Ya it's a possibility, Newton is a tough dude and would give a lot of great fighters a good challenge. If McGeary puts him out easily though it will be damn impressive.

Rumble, gus II, Cormier II, then whatever he needs to do to stay busy. There are no other threats on the horizon.

Rumble, gus II, Cormier II, then whatever he needs to do to stay busy. There are no other threats on the horizon.

8-0 fighter who is one of the few LHW's that is actually taller than Jones and he isn't a threat on the horizon?

I mean there is pretty much no other LHW out there right now that Jones hasn't beat who has looked this dominant even over lower competition. Enough to spark some curiosity in me, not sure why everyone else is so quick to turn their heads.

True but he isn't that old, I think 1-2 years we see him come into the UFC and get a top 10 guy right away.

Eh , not impessed by who he has beaten , and also him getting a top ten guy right away hinges on him dominating Newton next up and probably King Mo right after , not impossible , but I would take both guys due to experience. Now of he does I'll maybe be more of a believer

Level of competition matters. Many an MMA fighter has looked like a badass in the minor leagues and failed to deliver on the hype in the UFC.

For example once upon a time people were saying that Sean McCorkle could be the next big thing at HW. He was an undefeated prospect with a ton of first round finishes, both KOs and Subs. He is tall and has huge reach. He even came into the UFC and subbed recent HW title contender Mark Hunt in the first round in just over a minute. Then he got finished in his next two fights and returned to the regional MMA scene.

MAYBE, just maybe Liam he is legit, but it will be hard to tell until he faces top competition. As of now his biggest win seems to be a guy who failed to make it into the TUF house. I think it is a stretch to place him in the same conversation as Jon Jones, DC, Gustaffsson, etc...

*Yes I have seen Liam fight. I do not see what TS claims to see.

Eh , not impessed by who he has beaten , and also him getting a top ten guy right away hinges on him dominating Newton next up and probably King Mo right after , not impossible , but I would take both guys due to experience. Now of he does I'll maybe be more of a believer

Pretty much every great fighter started out by dominating meh competition, not fair to assume he would fail against top competition just because he hasn't had the chance to fight them yet.

I think there is a pretty good chance he beats Newton and Mo. Both guys are going to have trouble getting in on him without getting popped. Even on the ground he is super active and constantly attacks with subs.

Back