Out of the two contenders, Gus is the tougher-match up for Jones

It Just Is

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm a big Jones fan, and even I can see why Jones is lobbying for Cormier. Not saying Jones will get Cormier next, Gus is next and what Jones is doing is rather interesting and frustrating for fight fans, haters, Gus and his fans, though Jones saw something in Cormier's bout with Hendo that warranted a little revaluation of the situation.

-First things first, Jones is not scared of Gus, but he does realize the reality of the situation, if he can get the easier fighter out of the two while nothing is yet finalized, he will at least have gotten ahead (at least for a little while; he still has to fight both fighters at some point). Why take on the most difficult challenge out there right away when he can take on what most considers to be the tougher challenge (even though it isn't)?

-Cormier is not the Jones killer, not even close, and I'll explain why. Cormier possesses incredible skills, but they just don't pose the type of threat to Jones that the media and forum members would have you believe.

-Cormier's shot is too slow for Jones, plus, the type of distance Jones will keep between himself and Cormier will be unreal. Cormier's shot will be seen from a mile away and the takedown will be easily stuffed.

Jones has one of the best takedown defenses in MMA and combine that with the distance game, that makes him even harder to get a hold of. There's only a few ways Jones can end up on his back (all of which can possibly happen against Cormier)

1. Jones is caught out of position (like he was against Gus), anyone who is a competent grappler can get Jones down when he's like that, Shogun almost did as well, but he couldn't capitalize because Jones was so much more than him + was already beaten to a pulp to secure anything.

2. Jones is knocked down, it never happened, but don't no fighter is immune to that.

3. If Jones pulls guard. Jones has done crazy things in the octagon, sometimes just to prove a point. If Jones can find an opportunity to spice things up and pull off something crafty here, I would not be shocked.

With the exception of the three above occurring, taking Jones down is a daunting task, and may even prove fruitless in the long run. Also, Cormier's strategy of wanting to put Jones on his back because he believes he can work some offense there given that Jones is virtually a mystery of his back is a troubling approach.

As Jones has said before, if he gets taken down, it's not the end of the fight. Everyone was clamoring for Shad against Jones because Shad had the ability to take Jones down, though in the interviews, Jones maintained to have confidence in himself, saying that it's possible he'll get taken down, but he's been training to fight off his back and in multiple vids he has looked really slick off of his back, transitioning to submissions and reversals with ease (of course it's training, but it's something [in regards to the proficiency of Jones' bottom game] to take into consideration and given how very versatile Jones has appeared overall in his UFC career, don't expect Jones to be brand new here).

-Just because Cormier was all over Hendo like some heartless predator on a rape victim, doesn't mean we should even fathom him doing that to Jones. Hendo is old, worn down, and was gassing due to Cormier's weight. Cormier also didn't show anything on Hendo on the bottom that looked harmful for Jones. Cormier's GNP and control may have been enough to stall and sting Hendo, but it didn't look suitable for the kind of active, slick, and strong guy like Jones. Cormier on Hendo was a slow, grinding pace mixed in with a couple hard shots here and there, that statement encompasses the GNP, transitioning, and control Cormier displayed over Hendo. Won't work on Jones. I don't expect Cormier's wrestling to have any kind of measurable effect on Jones.

-Also, Cormier was visibly tired in the fight against Hendo despite the pace not being at a high level, I think that will also play into Jones' favor.

-Finally, the striking game, where Cormier basically poses as much threat to Jones here as Rampage, Vitor, Shad, Glover, and Bader did. Cormier's sneaky right rook is clever, but it's literally the only thing Jones has to worry about. It's fast and is set up by a kick, but it's nothing Jones is unable to prepare for.

-Jones prepping for Cormier is a lot easier than prepping for Gus. Against Gus, Jones has to prepare for a rapid pace, striking affair and look for the takedown opportunities which will be far and few in between. Jones is a smart man and is holding out for the possibility to have the easier of the two right away; he may not get it, but Jones is in the unique situation that he has two more contenders left atm, and either one is considered legit contenders (Jones picking here will not look like the worst thing in the world when Cormier is considered the more dangerous contender [even though he's not:icon_chee).

On paper, Cormier looks like the more dangerous threat, the truth is farther from what a lot of us think. A lot of Jones' past opponents seemed troubling to him, but in actual application, we've seen otherwise.

They are both really hard fights. If you don't think Cormier would get Jones down often, you're delusional.

The reach is the big advantage for Gus.

Jones didn't seem comfortable at all in that fight.

They are both really hard fights. If you don't think Cormier would get Jones down often, you're delusional.

If he can get close to him. That will be the big issue, but, yeah, if DC gets within touching distance of Jones in the clinch and grappling department, Jones could be in big trouble.

TS i think you're onto something; Jon Jones+good game plan has me thinking that Cormier won't be inside like he'd like to be and Jones will be prepared for a shot as well

The only thing we Know for sure is that Jones can beat Gus because he already has. We dont know if Jones can beat DC so DC should be next.

I think DC is the harder figth for Jones to answer your question

Both are hard fights for different reasons. As someone said Gus has that reach and Jones didn't seem comfortable with that at all during the entire fight. DC brings just pure wrestling and control. I do think DC can get Jones down to the ground, but can he keep him there? Sub him? Beat him down? That is why I want to see DC fight Jones. Either way I just want this to go away, announce the damn fight already.

Doesn't matter. Jones already beat him. DC on the other hand is a big question mark that needs to be settled inside the cage.

The only thing we Know for sure is that Jones can beat Gus because he already has. We dont know if Jones can beat DC so DC should be next.

Just stop.

We all know who really won that fight and it wasn't the guy who were carried out on a stretcher and had to postpone his next fight 10 times.

Just stop.

We all know who really won that fight and it wasn't the guy who were carried out on a stretcher and had to postpone his next fight 10 times.

/Thread.

A hail mary elbow saved his belt that night. That will not happen again.

Gustafsson is the tougher fight and that's why Jones want a big fight before he lose his belt.

...-Cormier is not the Jones killer, not even close, and I'll explain why. Cormier possesses incredible skills, but they just don't pose the type of threat to Jones that the media and forum members would have you believe.

-Cormier's shot is too slow for Jones, plus, the type of distance Jones will keep between himself and Cormier will be unreal. Cormier's shot will be seen from a mile away and the takedown will be easily stuffed...

That's all well and good, except Cormier doesn't shoot, he ties people up. If he gets his hands on JJ or any other LHW (and most HW's, for that matter) he can pretty much do whatever he wants to them.

Not a big fan of DC but it's plain stupid to speculate what DC can or can not do vs. JBJ. I understand that he doesn't possess the built to give JBJ trouble but this guy has been beating heavyweights and lhw. He deserves his shot just like Gus does when he got his first. Gus-Jones 1 may have some controversy but let's see what DC brings to the table before discrediting his wins.

If he can get close to him. That will be the big issue, but, yeah, if DC gets within touching distance of Jones in the clinch and grappling department, Jones could be in big trouble.

The thing is jones fights at Jackson's who develop the best game plans in the business I can almost guarantee jones will make adjustments and the next fight won't be as close

Edit commented on wrong post

Just stop.

So who really won the fight then and both put on a great fight.

But Jones is the one who actually hurt and rocked a fighter in that fight. He is the one who made Gus run from him in the fight and reset from getting hurt. Jones is the one who hurt Gus very badly inside the octagon and made him move away from jones but it proves nothing outside of jones rocking Gus in the fight.

What proves someone won is actually winning the fight and jones did just that. In order to win you have to do all that stretcher business in the octagon. I know you want to go tick for tack and make these bravado like statements but Gus will have a second chance.

Last edited:
So who really won the fight then and both put on a great fight.

But Jones is the one who actually hurt and rocked a fighter in that fight. He is the one who made Gus run from him in the fight and reset from getting hurt. I always enjoy the bravado from many of you Gus fans but that is all it is. Jones made Gus run from him in that fight and hurt Gus badly inside the octagon but it proves nothing outside of jones rocking Gus in the fight.

What proves someone won is actually winning the fight and jones did just that. I know you want to go tick for tack with others but Gus will have a second chance.

Jones didn't get hurt? Who went out on a stretcher? Who spend the night in the hospital? He postponed the fight against Glover because of the beating he received from Gus in their fight.

Gus won the fight in my opinion and now Jones is trying to duck him because he knows that this time the judges won't save him.

Jones didn't get hurt? Who went out on a stretcher? Who spend the night in the hospital? He postponed the fight against Glover because of the beating he received from Gus in their fight.

Gus won the fight in my opinion and now Jones is trying to duck him because he knows that this time the judges won't save him.

Both put up a great fight and both were hurt and exhausted in the fight and that is as good as it gets. The object of MMA is to hurt your opponent in the octagon.

Cormier said Gus has no chance in the rematch and called jones out after his win and now suddenly Jones wants Cormier. You do the math. Even cormier thinks Gus has no chance in the rematch and stated it and called out Jones and made the statements to Jones. The bottom line is we dont know the entirety of the jones v Cormier fiasco and we dont know much outside of what Dana says.

Both Gus and Jones were hurt but jones did his business in the octagon and actually hurt Gus and made him run in the other direction. The one who rocked anyone in that fight was Jones.

Dont worry because Gus has another chance. Also If you think Gus won the fight than fine but it still does not mean he did.

Last edited:
Obviously from his choice of opponents he doesn't like guys that can counter his attacks quickly. Gus was in his face most of the time. JBJ game is based on distance standing or he has to go to the ground and take top control. We haven't seen him on the bottom yet maybe DC will be the first. The first fight was brutal and maybe he doesn't want to feel that pain again. Tough job being champ. :icon_chee

Back