Out of the GOATs, who has the single greatest victory?

Depends on your definition. If it's strictly based "on paper" (crecedentials, ranking, skill of opponent etc.), then you can make a case for Jones-Cormier. If it's also based on performance (= how dominant/impressive was the performance), then you have to consider GSP-Penn 2, Fedor-Nog, Fedor-CroCop, Jones-Shogun, Anderson-Forrest, Fedor-Sylvia and a few others.

Fedor over Nog. Nog is a top 5 all-timer, and was 19-1, 13 fight win streak (only loss was a poor split decision to Hendo, which he avenged with an armbar) when Fedor dominated him.

I think DC is as good of a fighter as we have ever seen...ExceptIon of Jon Jones. So I agree. But GSP vs Hughes #2 was definitely impressive and an epic match up.

Nog is the highest quality of opponent that any of them beat(not by much tho). But if you factor in impact of the win, quality of performance, stakes, and the "moment" then I think Jones-DC, Anderson-Forrest/Vitor, and maybe GSP-Penn 2 are in the discussion.

in 2003 Fedor beat the living sh*t out of the clear nr. 1 in the world, who was considered unbeatable at the time. That was the Fedor vs Minotauro 1 fight. People said that Fedor wasn't ready for Minotauro, but then exibited a perfect beatdown.

Bas and Quadros were going nuts. It was a sick fight.

Fedor made the Japanese female commentator cry.

Fedor had a tonne of exciting and huge fights, but this one was the greatest win IMO.

Because TS is talking GOATs with a resume of real fights. Not fluke knockouts of people that are ready to retire.

When a comment like this one receives more than 2 likes you see that something is wrong with this forum.

One of the most impressive wins ever because of HOW he beat him for sure. I personally think his AA win was better though and he doesn't get credit for it. AA was the consensus #2 HW at the time by a large margin. Crocop had just gotten submitted by Nog in his last fight and was ranked 3-4

Impressive indeed, however, Cro Cop was actually winning that fight against Nougeria until he got taken down and arm barred in quick fashion. A remarkable arm bar no less. But people, in the general consensus anyway, always had Cro Cop as the single most dangerous man in heavyweight division....even more so than Fedor. To tell you a truth, i always wanted to see an Arlovski-Cro Cop fight.

You don't see the paradox in saying it was a fluke knockout and so readily determining that Aldo (Who was dominant for a 10 year period prior to said fluke) is over the hill?

Still haven't seen enough of mcgregor to determine the quality of that win in the context of GOAT. Given the data we know about MMA fighters and average career length, it makes more sense to say Aldo is over the hill, rather than mcgregor is a goat.

Anderson has the most spectacular with the Vitor KO but DC is at worst a top five Heavyweight, won the SF Grand Prix and hell he could maybe even be Heavyweight Champion so Jones over DC.
IMO the Arlovski KO was better than the vitor kick. I also thought Machida's crane kick on Randy was way better (I compare them because they were close chronologically and Sensei Seagal taught both), but Machida isn't in the GOAT discussion.
I think each of the greats' best wins are as follows:
Fedor over Nog/CC
GSP over Hughes/BJ
Anderson over Sakurai/Hendo

GSP over Hughes takes the cake for me. I still think Fedor is the GOAT, though.

Overrated fight and overrated fighter in Cro-Cop.

As many here have said before, Fedor dethroning Nog for the belt is a much more notable victory.

Some people just can't separate hype from reality.

The reality is Fedor is the consensus HW GOAT and that at the time he was considered the best fighter in the world.

The reality also is that Crocop was considered his greatest threat at the time.

And there's nothing overrated about it.

Jones/Shogun imo. Getting a legend to tap to strikes while winning the title was something amazing.

Fedor over Minotauro - followed by one of the single greatest moments in MMA
gEVkrDw.jpg

Still haven't seen enough of mcgregor to determine the quality of that win in the context of GOAT. Given the data we know about MMA fighters and average career length, it makes more sense to say Aldo is over the hill, rather than mcgregor is a goat.

nobody is making you say either.

Fedor over Nogueira. I consider Nogueira a top 5 ATG himself.
This. Fedor did everything that you were not supposed to do against Nog, and still ended up destroying him, not once, but twice. It just showed how well rounded he was, whether it striking or grappling. I don't even know if "well-rounded" is the right term for Fedor, because he wasn't just good at all aspects of MMA, but excelled past nearly everybody in all of the aspects. People seem to forget that Nog was no slouch, and I have to agree that he and Fedor are both easily in the top 5 GOAT list.

GSP vs Hughes is also a contender, another 2 guys who could easily be in the top 5 GOATs, with GSP definitely, and Hughes possibly. GSP not only outstruck, but outwrestled AND outgrappled a guy known for his exceptional wrestling and grappling prowess. Nobody took down Hughes before this fight, and GSP's redemption against Hughes was a masterpiece of fighting.

While Jones is definitely in the top 3, I don't include his wins because he was supposed to win all of those fights. There wasn't much debate about whether he'd defeat Shogun, Gus, Cormier, etc. He was a big favorite in all of those fights, and while the Gus win was a hard fought FOTY which was so awesome that the outcome is still widely disputed and divided among fans, the fact that he won wasn't as impressive as the fight itself. While I'm a huge Conor fan, I hesitate to include him in the GOAT list, but if he keeps it up in the future, his destruction of the #1 ranked p4p fighter has to be up there. You don't just get a lucky punch on a fighter of Aldo's caliber.

You have fitch and condit above hughes, BJ penn and Jake Shields? Not that Fitch and Condit were not great, great wins because they were.

Yes, I do. Just my opinion.

Penn was never really a proven top welterweight, he just had one single amazing win there (Hughes).

Hughes is historically a great fighter, but I'm not sure how good he really was h2h at the time GSP fought him.

And personally I think Shields looked like shit for the vast majority of his time in the UFC. Has a good overall record etc, but often fought like a mediocrity.

All of the above were VERY good wins mind you, I rate them all, but personally I consider Fitch and Condit his two greatest victories.

Both convincing wins over prime natural proven welterweight elites. Superb.

Werdum isn't GOAT, but his win over the GOAT is the most impressive one.
Fedors wins over Timmy, Arlovski and Nog his most impressive ones, so one of them I guess.

I think to make a "solid" pick you need to think of one where a "GOAT" won a fight that was deemed to be his kryptonite. The one where he shut up all the guys who said "this is the guy that can beat this guy".

Conor's one is obviously a great choice - but he isn't a "GOAT" yet! He has 2 wins against elite competition, not enough... YET!

Jon over DC is a good one but because it wasn't a stunning win, and that DC actually won a round on my book - I wouldn't say it's the best.

Anderson over Chael is a great choice. Chael was on roids (Silva maybe too?) and Silva had several broken ribs. He lost every round including some 10-8's and did some movie shit to win the fight. I remember honestly thinking after that fight, "Wow, this guy is invincible" like there is no way he can lose. Even if you think it's going to happen, it won't!

Fedor over Cro Cop or Nogueira is a good shout.

How about Penn RNC'ing Hughes? Nobody saw that shit!

GSP eventually putting the doubters to rest when he beat Diaz? .... Nah lol.

Fedor vs Nogueira I
GSP vs Penn II
GSP vs Hughes II
Anderson vs Sonnen I
Jones vs Cormier
Cruz vs Dillashaw

Back