Out of competition drugs tests

I disagree, the public should know if a UFC champion is a coke head.

if the commission isn't sanctioning him and if they were not supposed to screen for cocaine then it seems invasive on two counts--screening overly broadly, and unnecessarily embarrassing someone who hadn't even committed an infraction in the eyes of the sanctioning body.

If out of competition drugs tests don't get you punished when you test positive, why do they even bother doing out of competition drugs tests?

There are two WADA lists. Drugs that are banned at all times, like steroids, diuretics, etc, and drugs that are only banned in competition (the 12 hours before an event starts until after the post-fight tests are done). Coke is only on the in-competition test. They tested for it "by accident". The hormones Sonnen was on are banned at all times, which is why he was punished but Jones wasn't.

If out of competition drugs tests don't get you punished when you test positive, why do they even bother doing out of competition drugs tests?

Because you do get punished if you test positive for anything that is banned out of competition. In this case, Jones tested positive for cocaine metabolites, which are banned in competition but not out, because he was tested for it by mistake of the commission/the lab it hired. If you test positive for steroids, a 14:1 T:E ratio, etc., you'll get punished.

Haven't people got suspended for out of competition drug testing finding weed?

Not that I know of. The difference is that marijuana metabolites stay in your system long enough, so in-competition tests have dinged guys that actually smoked out of competition. NAC has recently relaxed the limit for marijuana metabolites to try to stop this from happening. For example, Diaz would not have failed under the new guidelines for the Condit fight.

I disagree, the public should know if a UFC champion is a coke head.

Yes, but the commission and/or the promoter should have a drug abuse policy in place before any test leading to punishment is taken.

So if out of competition testing doesn't really matter that much how come wanderlia silva ran out the back door when they wanted to test him and then he got banned for life for it? He was taking diuretics at the time which would not be performance enhancing out of competition, only during the final pre fight weight cut.

Diuretics are banned because they are masking agents for PEDs, not because they are PEDs. Wand ran from the test, and his excuse (hilariously) was that he was taking drugs that effectively allow him to run from the test.

Haven't people got suspended for out of competition drug testing finding weed?

No, none that I recall.

The thing is that coke leaves the system much quicker than weed. Fighters test positive for weed even if they hadn't smoked a month prior. At least before it was that way, now they raised the allowable limit threefold though.

Back