out of all the strikers that have competed in mma, most impressive striking background before mma

it is what it is

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I kept hearing people say that Wonderboy is the best striker to compete in mma. I know he was 52-0 in karate before competing, but I would think there would be more impressive striking accomplishments from striking arts deemed more challenging. He is a total badass, and I may be ignorant to sport karate, but it just seems like there would be some pretty impressive striking accomplishments from others at this level

tyrone-spong.jpg

James Toney and Ray Mercer, I guess.

Most of the K-1 legends had at least one MMA fight.

Cung Le was pretty good.

Valentina Shevchenko however you spell it is 56-2. That's the only one I can think is close. A lot of Thai guys have crazy records if any of them have transitioned to MMA.

Always heard Cung Le was pretty great. You know how his art compares to Karate?

Not really. I've never really seen a Sanshou vs Karate match.

I just know they both hold up well against this...

Terms of accomplishments I'd say Jim Toney followed closely by olympic gold medallist and HW belt holder Mercer. Holly is a no brainer for WMMA.

Overeem, Hunt and Schilt deserve a mention for their K1 open weight titles.

Hoost too but it's hard to overlook those losses to Sapp.

Peter Aerts. Semmy Schilt. James Toney. Ray Mercer. Ricardo Mayorga.

Mirko (Cro-Cop) Filipovic
Jose (Pele) Landis-Jons
Jose Aldo
Igor Vovchanchyon
Pedro Rizzo
Junior Dos Santos
Anderson Silva
Vitor Belfort
Bas Rutten

These were some of the best strikers in MMA history i ever seen. K-1 kick boxers especially from 1993-1999 were elite strikers...guys like Andy Hug,Peter Aerts,Ernesto Hoost,Ray Sefo,Fransisco Filho and Jerome LeBanner

There are many, and it's not surprising that they are some of the more exciting fighters in the sport.

I love the kick boxers and Muy Thai fighters who are able to deal with humpy dumpy wrestlers.

it's not prior to his MMA career but Overeem was K1 champion concurrently to his MMA career. i believe that is unprecedented in modern MMA

Mirko (Cro-Cop) Filipovic
Jose (Pele) Landis-Jons
Jose Aldo
Igor Vovchanchyon
Pedro Rizzo
Junior Dos Santos
Anderson Silva
Vitor Belfort
Bas Rutten

These were some of the best strikers in MMA history i ever seen. K-1 kick boxers especially from 1993-1999 were elite strikers...guys like Andy Hug,Peter Aerts,Ernesto Hoost,Ray Sefo,Fransisco Filho and Jerome LeBanner
I don't think Aldo, Vitor, Anderson, or JDS did anything impressive pre-mma.....seems like they had some small success then developed further in mma

Ubereem by far
He destroyed all those names i see

Back