Social OU professor: "Ok, boomer" is like the N-word. (Forced to apologize)

In the sense that its a word used to offend someone and get a reaction, I can see why he says that.
But I can't say I've seen many people take that much offense to it.

By that criteria all insults are like the n-word, which is a gross oversimplification at best.

Take some Cash with you.
Really not as clever as it seems in your head, hope you never say it irl for your sake.
In the sense that its a word used to offend someone and get a reaction, I can see why he says that.
But I can't say I've seen many people take that much offense to it.
To compare a rather tame internet meme to the N-Word shows how gotten to he was. But here's more examples
Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-2.59.49-PM.png

20386682-7630965-image-m-111_1572453605436.jpg

By that criteria all insults are like the n-word, which is a gross oversimplification at best.
How so? It is what it is. I guess there's levels and what not ,but its just something you say to someone to be a dick and make them mad. When someone uses the n word, they aren't giving any thought to the history of the word and the struggles of the black people. They're just picking whats going to make them the most upset.

Really not as clever as it seems in your head, hope you never say irl for your sake.

To compare a rather tame internet meme to the N-Word shows how gotten to he was. But here's more examples

The only comparison I made was that its something an ass says to someone else to upset them.

Really not as clever as it seems in your head, hope you never say it irl for your sake.

Don’t need to say it realy, just give a visual.

The only comparison I made was that its something an ass says to someone else to upset them.
I'm talking about the Professor in the OP, not you.

"Ok Boomer" is nowhere near comparable to the N-word, only thin skinned Boomers would think something so ridiculous.
Don’t need to say it realy, just give a visual.
Look we all take a swing and a miss every once in a while, better luck next time.

"Ok Boomer" is nowhere near comparable to the N-word, only thin skinned Boomers would think something so ridiculous.

Look we all take a swing and a miss every once in a while, better luck next time.
I'm saying it before someone bookmarks it to bring up against me in 5 years after I've forgotten about it.

this booma Seano stupid yo.

Maybe you are right and it’s too complicated for that generation and I should just stick with the visual.

How does take some cash with you thing make sense. Cash was not a boomer.

How so? It is what it is. I guess there's levels and what not ,but its just something you say to someone to be a dick and make them mad.

I’d say there’s at least one level between “boomer” and n*****. To draw an equivalence between the two is, as I said, a simplification. As you noted, the history of the insults - and why the people the insults are directed at feel the pain they do when it’s said - is an important factor.

When someone uses the n word, they aren't giving any thought to the history of the word and the struggles of the black people. They're just picking whats going to make them the most upset.

That doesn’t scan - it’s the history of the word that makes it offensive. Remove the history and it’s no longer offensive. I’d agree with you that more than likely they’re saying what they think will hurt the most - but there’s a reason why it hurts the most to the person it’s directed at. The two can’t be separated.[/QUOTE]

Comparing “Boomer” to “n*****” makes about as much sense as comparing tranny rights to the Civil Rights movement. Only on the very surface are they at all alike.

my actual reaction (but not loling quite as hard or for as long)

There's only one way to find out if he's correct ,there's one of those upscale retirement homes not far from me , I'm going to go in there , find the toughest looking guy in the tv room , hit him with a " Boomer please " and see what happens , if I not back in an hour you'll know shit got real .

Wish me luck !

Back