Other than money, is there any reason to not use full synthetic oil?

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone knew of a reason not to use full synthetic, other than lower cost.

I prefer the term "artificial person" myself.

z-rod_synthetic_motoroil.jpg

It's not good for every engine. I use it on my daily driver and my motorcycle, but according to everything I've read it's no good for my jeep (it's an older one).

It's not good for every engine. I use it on my daily driver and my motorcycle, but according to everything I've read it's no good for my jeep (it's an older one).

Does it say the reason(s) why it is no good for your Jeep?

Chandler Jones says stay away from the synthetic.

Nope. Especially in any engine made in the last 15 years.

There used to be stories of high mileage engines developing leaks once switched to synthetic but it was in cases of really old stuff that used rope for the crankshaft main seal.

You can't switch to synthetic if all you have ever used is conventional. Your motor will get ruined.

You can't switch to synthetic if all you have ever used is conventional. Your motor will get ruined.

Pretty sure you are wrong. It doesn't make any sense. Synthetic oil is mostly just oil with some synthetic chemicals. Why would changing matter?

I think synthetic is always the way to go except for some rotary engines.

Does it say the reason(s) why it is no good for your Jeep?
Basically If your engine has been beaten to hell synthetic oils are more likely to find areas to leak from. Conventional oils will just gum up the leaky areas, problem solved. My jeep has the indestructible AMC I-6, but I don't trust it enough to run synthetic, so it gets rotella 10w30

Pretty sure you are wrong. It doesn't make any sense. Synthetic oil is mostly just oil with some synthetic chemicals. Why would changing matter?

I think synthetic is always the way to go except for some rotary engines.
He is wrong. I did it with my last motorcycle. The dealer said it was probably not a good idea to switch back and forth though.

It's gone way beyond just synthetic. My VW GTI has very detailed specifications for oil and only a few brands make it.

Has anyone said money yet.

Really that's the reason. I cannot believe no one has said money yet.

Back