OT. what do you do with your old belts?

Usually tie them around my neck when I jerk it.

I kept all my old belts. If I ever own a gym someday (or if I ever build a gym room in my house), I'd like to hang mine up.

My instructor has his hung up at the gym.

I usually give them to friends who train.

They live in my medal drawer.

First of all, wash your belt.

Screw that. I recently washed my custom, hand-made Isami and it shrank about 2 gi sizes. Never again will I wash my belt. :(

I kept all my old belts. If I ever own a gym someday (or if I ever build a gym room in my house), I'd like to hang mine up.

My instructor has his hung up at the gym.
That's a pretty cool display.

They live in my medal drawer.

Screw that. I recently washed my custom, hand-made Isami and it shrank about 2 gi sizes. Never again will I wash my belt. :(

Why should someone have to risk ringworm just because you don't feel like hang drying your piece of fabric?

A bunch of them were woven together and hung up for a while. I gave my yellow belt (Judo) to my brother when he was promoted. Who knows from here on out. Maybe I'll keep them and give them to my kids if they decide to train someday.

"Thanks, dad... a ratty old, smelly belt. Just what I wanted!"

I still use my white belt. Great for tieing things around the house. At one point I used it to keep a trunk closed when moving some large furniture.

Gave my Judo white, yellow and orange belt to teammates being promoted. Glad i kept the green as at my newer club sankyus wear green belts, but I'll give that away too one day.

The brown belt ill keep, because it was handed to me by an Olympian.

I use them as straps to help me lift and carry furniture or boxes and the such.

I gave away my white belt to a student that did not have a tab on his white belt and had to do push up at every classes.

In a way, I think a belt should be retired and you should not passed it on to someone else.

Unless it a black belt.

I probably should put them on display or at least leave a spare one at the dojo.

Auto erotic asphyxiation...don't judge

Since we're on the subject -

1) How do you get your mojo to transfer to the new belt? Do you just put them in a bag together and leave them sealed for a day or so?

2) Is it ok to wash the old belt now that you have a new one (assuming you have successfully transferred the mojo) or is this still detrimental in some way?

Thx.

You cannot transfer the mojo son. If you have a new belt then you are at the bottom of that belt level. You need to develop new mojo for that journey.

You can wash the belt as that mojo doesn't count anymore.

You cannot transfer the mojo son. If you have a new belt then you are at the bottom of that belt level. You need to develop new mojo for that journey.

You can wash the belt as that mojo doesn't count anymore.

Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to that day I can wash my belt now.

We have a bunch of spare belts hanging in the gym, left my old belt their if someone needs it.

They sit in my bag for a week or two until I finally put them away somewhere. My judo green might still be there.

Back