OT: Happy Memorial Day

Sorry to hear about that, Rat. S&P will keep your friend in our thoughts!

My grandfather received a purple heart from WW2, I believe that he was a pilot, but gramma doesn't talk about it took much, I think that it was too hard on her.

I slept in today, and am enjoying the day off. Some cleaning and then I'll lift later tonight.

I tried to buy tires today, forgot everything was closed.

Just wanted to pop in and say this is a more sober and refective memoral day for me.

My friend from culinary school died last week while out on the river fishing. He was a decorated Marine and lost his right arm in Fallujah. He just got back to the states this past fall.

His name is Chris Johnson and his unit is the subject of the film Warriors...in their own words

A big thank you to everyone that has served.

Sorry to hear about you friend.

Thank you to everyone who served and still serves now. I'm the first in a long, long line who have not enlisted in my family. I sometimes feel bad, as they sacrificed so much, but I realized they did so that I could have the opportunity to do something I wanted in life. We all have different political views, and sometimes our troops and vets get lumped in unfairly to fit agendas. Take the day to say thank you on a human level, and no matter what you think of the politics of life, our soldiers and vets have given us so much so that we can have the lives we lead.

Thank you.

^^^My family has been in every war we've had in this country since the American Revolution, and I'm an Iraqi War vet myself (it still trips me out when I realize that I'm a veteran, because to me veterans were grizzled old guys) and it all makes me wonder if I'll be the last to enlist or not. My kid sister has already had recruiters calling her up.

Honestly I really don't like Memorial Day after having been to the desert and seeing first hand so many people being killed, most of them just kids fresh out of highschool. (I was just a mess after I came back from Iraq and I had my first "real" Memorial Day) Still, I'm glad we have Memorial Day, its important. I really, really hope that eventually after the war is over that they will build an Iraqi and Afghanistan War Memorial.

I really, really hope that eventually after the war is over that they will build an Iraqi and Afghanistan War Memorial.

I'll agree to that. It could take a while, as the WWII monument in DC did, but a lot of good lives were lost that deserve to be commemorated. Thank you for serving your country, we appreciate what you've done.

Back