Oscar Valdez vs Jayson Velez set for July 21st in Vegas

Man, i'm not gonna lie. I'm a little numb to all of these underachieving Puerto Rican prospect matchups... especially against these up and coming Mexican standouts. We haven't been holding our own the last few years.

I know PR's been through some rough times, so that's part of it but, shit... skill is skill... technique is technique.

PR fighters from the Island and mainland just haven't been up to snuff. Velez has been close but not good enough a few times already, hope that he'd figured shit out in the last year and can pull an upset against the starlet. Not holding my breath ot betting the house though.

Man, i'm not gonna lie. I'm a little numb to all of these underachieving Puerto Rican prospect matchups... especially against these up and coming Mexican standouts. We haven't been holding our own the last few years.

I know PR's been through some rough times, so that's part of it but, shit... skill is skill... technique is technique.

PR fighters from the Island and mainland just haven't been up to snuff. Velez has been close but not good enough a few times already, hope that he'd figured shit out in the last year and can pull an upset against the starlet. Not holding my breath ot betting the house though.
There was a thread last year about this, I feel PR fighters need to relocate to the west coast, that’s what a lot of eastern European, Ukrainians and Russians are doing, Tito Trinidad was the last and probaly the last ever to train out of PR and be successful, then theres the scouting and management team in PR who are predatory and looking to make a quick buck off young aspiring PR fighters, Jose Bonilla and Ricky Marquez are worthless but Juan Orengo is probably the biggest peice of shit out of all of them, yiu cant help but wonder how many careers they sabotaged.

so is Valdez gonna fight a live body at some point soon?

Didn't realize Berlanga was fighting on this card. Very good prospect. His chin and resolve haven't been tested yet but he'd got all the physical tools. Hopefully he's got the will to get better and team around him to help him grow his skills... tired of all these basic ass boricua brawlers, wanna be Tito Trinidad's (they want to be hard but don't want to learn the craft). I'd even throw a guy like DSG in that camp. I've been watching him for 7 years and i don't think he's evolved one bit in that time frame. While a guy like Canelo adds a different wrinkle from fight to fight. Frustrating.

Imo this is the worst time in Puertorican’s boxing history. A little shameful if you ask me. Even in the amateur ranks we are in a bad place.

There was a thread last year about this, I feel PR fighters need to relocate to the west coast, that’s what a lot of eastern European, Ukrainians and Russians are doing, Tito Trinidad was the last and probaly the last ever to train out of PR and be successful, then theres the scouting and management team in PR who are predatory and looking to make a quick buck off young aspiring PR fighters, Jose Bonilla and Ricky Marquez are worthless but Juan Orengo is probably the biggest peice of shit out of all of them, yiu cant help but wonder how many careers they sabotaged.

you hit the nail in the head my friend. 100% true

Imo this is the worst time in Puertorican’s boxing history. A little shameful if you ask me. Even in the amateur ranks we are in a bad place.

Yeah, i'm only 40 so i can't say i'm a historian but compared to the rest of the world i would say that this is as bad as it's ever been. When you got little Eastern Block countries like Uzbekistan and what not pumping out better boxers, not fighter mind you, but boxers, you know it's bad. Right now i think the only world champ we got, Island or not, is Amanda Serrano unless i'm forgetting. Sigh. That's a sad state of affairs.

Who's out there right now, prospect wise? Xayas, Berlanga, Nova... off hand. I still have some hope for Verdejo, and maybe Cintron will figure things out, but it's a thin crop.

Guido Vianello is facing Kingsley Ibeh, who's 5-1 and has avenged his only loss (by SD) by scoring a brutal KO. From what I've seen he's a big, rather crude brawler, but he should give him some rounds.

This is gonna be a fun card. Thank gawd for the bubble.

Yeah, i'm only 40 so i can't say i'm a historian but compared to the rest of the world i would say that this is as bad as it's ever been. When you got little Eastern Block countries like Uzbekistan and what not pumping out better boxers, not fighter mind you, but boxers, you know it's bad. Right now i think the only world champ we got, Island or not, is Amanda Serrano unless i'm forgetting. Sigh. That's a sad state of affairs.

Who's out there right now, prospect wise? Xayas, Berlanga, Nova... off hand. I still have some hope for Verdejo, and maybe Cintron will figure things out, but it's a thin crop.
Wilfredo Mendez is WBO Strawweight champ

valdez-velez-weights_2020_07_20_234401.jpg

Back