oscar v cintron or spinks why didn't it happen

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Look i know oscar is only trying to gear up for big fights, but oscar can sell fighting anyone including me; so y didn't he go for a title w/someone considered to be more of a legitimate/competitive fighter.

i know some fights are riskier than others, i get that; but i feel like maybe he should have gotten a title or gone from a title holder and then proceeded forward, just to maybe legitimize what he is doing a bit more.

i would day cory spinks is at least as good as forbes, if not better as far as records/titles and accomplishments; not necessarily skills. But oscar could have fought him at 154 got a title and made as much money, prob more cus its for a title; an he would have gotten more credit for the fight by hardcore/casual fans. Not to mention the fact it would have been just as exciting as the fight w/forbes, it wouldn't have been any worse and even if it did..so what its oscar.

second i would have said fight cintron, kermit is a little suspect mentally and while oscar wouldn't beat him up; i think his pressure, intelligent boxing and overall skill/exp would have carried him over cintron. It would have been riskier than anything else cus of cintron power, an his size; but i don't see cintron as being discipline or tough enough to not shut down or get stopped if oscar would have stepped it up offensively.

i mean oscar is obv a good businessman; but i feel like one of these two would have made alot more sense, its not like people turn fights w/oscar down

Forbes was simply a tune-up fight, that is all. Making a good fight or matchup wasnt the point in the first place, and as far as getting respect from boxing fans, who DLH picked for that tune-up fight shouldnt impact peoples respect or lack of for him.

Also, Forbes style match up was SUPPOSED to be similar to PBF, which I didn't really see all that much. Forbes did put a good showing for being smaller/lighter- he also did tag DLH with a good amount of shots too.

Who the hell would want to fight spinks? He's a tricky boxer that makes everyone look bad and offers much less reward than risk.

yeah exactly it was just a tune up fight

i hate how everyone is trying to make out that oscar only fights people who are smaller than him .

which is such bullshit

look at the last 4 or 5 fighters he fought before mayweather they were all bigger than him or at least on par .

oscar wants to fight mayweather because he's the biggest draw .

beating spinks , verno or vernon would do nothing for his career and would be big risks with no reward

Dit365 - Those comments are coming about because the guys Oscar has been calling out recently are all smaller than him. Its not about his career as a whole. But Hatton and pac-Man? C'mon...

recently thats what oscar has been doing. the people he's shown interest in fighting have been mayweather, pacman, hatton and now cotto.

i have no problem if oscar cuts weight and fight these guys, but he doesn't.

he calls them up to his weight, or a catch weight. this stalls great fights that could be made because the forementioned boxers would rather fight oscar for millions than each other or their contenders. oscar vs these guys really has no relevence in boxing, because they will all drop back down to their normal fighting weights.

oscar should retire. if you can't cut to a weight you want to fight at, then you

a. fight the fighters who belong to a weightclass you can cut to

b. go up in weight

oscar has ignored this and went route C, which i've never heard done which is

c. call out smaller fighters to come up and fight at oscar's weight.

in my opinion, if you have to go route C, then its time to retire

if jose luis castillo was calling out israel vasquez, or darchinyan etc etc to fight him at 140, all you'd hear is criticism. but somehow oscar gets a pass.

i think if he fought those two, b4 they loss their titles, it would have helped him alot; he would have beat two legit champions (beltholders) in their div.

i think alot more respect would have come from hardcore fans and people on this board; spinks has only really lost to judah, phillips, and has beaten some legit 147/154 guys...an gave taylor a tough go. He is tricky awkward but a legit skilled boxer; more of a legit test than forbes, an hbo knows oscar sells regardless so that works.

against cintron who was on like what a 5 fight winning streak; an that would have been a legit fight, cus of his ko power and his title reign.

Kermit as strong and hard hitting he is, an he has improved; he is not the boxer of de la hoya caliber, an he is a bit of a game quitter. I think oscar would outbox him and be able to outfight him in spots; cintron could ko, but most likely he won't. That jab would have shut cintron down; an while forbes had success, he is ten times the boxer cintron is.

oscar beating one of those two sets something up and says something about where he stands.

jsut think it would have done more for him bxing wise

jsut think it would have done more for him bxing wise

I disagree. The fight wasnt meant to do anything for him "boxing wise." It was meant to be a tune up fight. A good, hard workout, or a glorified sparring match if you will. Boxing fans werent looking for this to be shit other than that. It certainly wasnt meant to add or detract from his legacy, and the only way it would is if something unexpected happened. That didnt happen. De La Hoya looked pretty good, as he should have against Forbes, but there werent any knockdowns or fireworks. Just a good sweat to get the timing right before his mega fight with Mayweather.

did he really call out pacman ?

i understand calling out cotto and mayweather they are the biggest names in boxing at the moment .

i see your point elbowsmash and to the most part i agree but its not the same calling mayweather and cotto out , and castillo calling vasquez out . theres what 3 or 4 weight class between them .

cotto and mayweather are really the same natural weight class as oscar . its just there no big fights at light middle weight and oscar knows that he wouldn't have a chance with winky or any of the middle weights . 147 to 150 is no difference but i really think you are right that it should be oscar fighting at 147 not them going up

i would love to see oscar vs forrest/winky and floyd vs cotto but both oscar and floyd are looking at the money they can make.i see floyd beating oscar,then cotto beating him and floyd vs cotto then becomes huge to the mainstream viewers.oscar is not a great fighter but its amazing how many casual fans know of him and not pbf,cotto,mosley

I disagree. The fight wasnt meant to do anything for him "boxing wise." It was meant to be a tune up fight. A good, hard workout, or a glorified sparring match if you will. Boxing fans werent looking for this to be shit other than that. It certainly wasnt meant to add or detract from his legacy, and the only way it would is if something unexpected happened. That didnt happen. De La Hoya looked pretty good, as he should have against Forbes, but there werent any knockdowns or fireworks. Just a good sweat to get the timing right before his mega fight with Mayweather.

Agreed.

Oh and the thing out about Oscar calling out Manny P is exagerated. It was mentioned but it was never mean't to be taken seriously, Freddie Roach said this. Also Oscar still has a promotional interest with Pacman.

Doesn't matter since both of them lost their titles. But still... One is too damn risky and one is a snoozer. I feel Oscar would wreck Cintron because of his flawed technique and mental toughness, but he still has knock you dead power and as a businessman, I would worry about losing another 8 fig payday. And spinks... Seriously. Who the hell wants to see Spinks fight again. I am all for technique, but God damn... I hate spinks. Oscar beats him, but Spinks would make the fight look so bad that you can't get a decent build up to the mayweather fight. That affects the money generation.

Forbes fight was a showcase fight. Supposedly small fighter that fights in a style similar to Mayweather. But this is a marketing ploy if anything. To generate casual fan interest. Kind of a manufactured preview of the rematch. I honestly feel it's a smart move for Oscar. Kind of creating a belief that Oscar has a much better chance at beating Mayweather next time. If you can embed that belief in casual fans, you can make them fork money to watch him fight mayweather again. Good business strategy.

No way was Oscar going to risk much here. He had to find a boxer with a decent record, similar to Mayweather, who isnt dangerous to him, who has decent skills to help him work and who wouldnt go down in 3 or 4 rounds. Cory and Cintron dont fit in that catagory.

Cory can be tough to beat, puts you to sleep, and costs more than Forbes. Three strikes he's out.

Cintron has knockout power, -Chance... That strike is enough for an out.

It was just suppose to be a safe tune up fight to get ready for the bigger fight. I hope De la Hoya's last fight will be a more interesting match up though.

Back