Oscar de La Hoya vs Saul Alvarez

Joshua N

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
It would have been a good fight. Who do you think would have won?

The De La Hoya who beat Vargas would have beaten the Canelo who fought Mayweather imo. Likely a decision.

Once Alvarez became an elite fighter he was really bigger than prime De La Hoya who competed at around the the 140-147 range.

The Canelo in the second GGG fight would likely have beaten the De La Hoya who fought Hopkins although it would have been close imo.

Prime Oscar could have UD'd the Canelo that fought Mayweather all the way to Cotto. If they had met at 160, Oscar would be beat, maybe KO'd IMO.

edit- I forgot that the fight with Cotto was at 160. Might've been even at that point.

prime DLH has no business at 160. don’t see him having enough pop at 160 to keep canelo from walking him down.

oscar takes a couple body shots and hits the deck faster than rocky fielding

At 154 Oscar has a shot against a green Alvarez. I’d favor him to get the decision.

Canelo to big and strong for Oscar ..... Oscar wasn’t really impressive above 147 imo

Canelo beats Oscar up and hurts him.

people always refer to duran as "a natural lightweight" and then everyone forgets that delahoya was best as a 135-40 pounder, he was never really a welter or a junior middleweight, which is why i thought it was a joke when people said he was weakened or dehydrated fighting manny. If he was, it was his own lack of prep not because he was too big for the weight class. I can't forget the first fight at 160 where he had lovehandles, yet people somehow think he was close to his best at 154.

We would now be watching Canelo Productions not Golden Boy....

It's competitive at 154 with a 22-24 year old Canelo. At 160 against a more mature Canelo, I don't like Oscar's chances. He'd still likely make it the distance, though.

people always refer to duran as "a natural lightweight" and then everyone forgets that delahoya was best as a 135-40 pounder, he was never really a welter or a junior middleweight, which is why i thought it was a joke when people said he was weakened or dehydrated fighting manny. If he was, it was his own lack of prep not because he was too big for the weight class. I can't forget the first fight at 160 where he had lovehandles, yet people somehow think he was close to his best at 154.

I think he was best at WW and still plenty capable at JMW. He was too big for JWW once he physically matured. I'd argue he was even slightly on the bigger side for WW. Other than Tito who was massive for the weight, no one really outsized him there.

I don’t think any version of dlh beats today’s canelo. Would be a cracking fight though

I think he was best at WW and still plenty capable at JMW. He was too big for JWW once he physically matured. I'd argue he was even slightly on the bigger side for WW. Other than Tito who was massive for the weight, no one really outsized him there.
I dont know, maybe that was the best weight for the mature version but it's also where he started losing big fights. Before that, he was on the path to true greatness

I dont know, maybe that was the best weight for the mature version but it's also where he started losing big fights. Before that, he was on the path to true greatness

Maybe. Shane would have always been there at LW or JWW. MW was definitely a bridge too far for him. It is a bit of a shame that Oscar's mistakes and behavior, most of it after his career, have sort of overshadowed just how impressive a resume he had.

Maybe. Shane would have always been there at LW or JWW. MW was definitely a bridge too far for him. It is a bit of a shame that Oscar's mistakes and behavior, most of it after his career, have sort of overshadowed just how impressive a resume he had.
ya, you could see a huge droppoff in his performances by the time he fought Trinidad and he never totally recovered. Fine fighter at his best, lots of ambition, like many others before him, the fame didn't help him in the ring.

Canelo would beat all top WW boxers in the 90’s. He would destroy prime Julio Cesar Chavez too. He would also beat prime B-Hop in his best shape and weight class too.

Prime Oscar could have UD'd the Canelo that fought Mayweather all the way to Cotto. If they had met at 160, Oscar would be beat, maybe KO'd IMO.

edit- I forgot that the fight with Cotto was at 160. Might've been even at that point.
Cotto Canelo was a catchweight fight at 155lbs
All of Cotto's Middleweight fights were at a catch weight and he was always under the limit set in the catchweight

Canelo would beat all top WW boxers in the 90’s. He would destroy prime Julio Cesar Chavez too. He would also beat prime B-Hop in his best shape and weight class too.
prime b-hop is a toss up. bernard fought well on the back foot and the front foot with a very stiff jab. could go either way imo. that other thread seems to underrate hopkins’ ability

Back