Oscar De La Hoya Vs Kostya Tszyu

I liked Lopez as well. I took a lot of heat defending that fight as a plausible draw cuz just about everyone else had Quartey winning. I thought the scorecard was corrected because it was added incorrectly and impacted the result, not because someone revised it to say Lopez did better.

Oscar was at welter long enough to fight James Page who also beat Lopez. Should James Page be added to the Oscar duck list? Oscar also refused rematches. The duck list keeps getting longer! :D

Kostya may have been a baby, but he was a P4P baby and at that time considered the most dangerous junior welter in the world. Unanimously the top dog of the division. You seem to have all sorts of things to dance around the issue, but it's a fact. So what if he was young, he was considered the best. It's like Trinidad fighting Vargas... Vargas was young, but he still deserved the fight because he was #1 junior middle in the world (controversial decision with Wright aside :D ). Oscar was more glad to take low risk fight in old Chavez and MAGO who was rather fresh off a pathetic fight with Lamar Murphy and go off on his way to 147 than fight the top challenge in the division, KT.

on the top ic of kosta, anyone hear his possible exhibition with jackie chan. lol. its at boxingscene lol

I liked Lopez as well. I took a lot of heat defending that fight as a plausible draw cuz just about everyone else had Quartey winning. I thought the scorecard was corrected because it was added incorrectly and impacted the result, not because someone revised it to say Lopez did better.

Oscar was at welter long enough to fight James Page who also beat Lopez. Should James Page be added to the Oscar duck list? Oscar also refused rematches. The duck list keeps getting longer! :D

Kostya may have been a baby, but he was a P4P baby and at that time considered the most dangerous junior welter in the world. Unanimously the top dog of the division. You seem to have all sorts of things to dance around the issue, but it's a fact. So what if he was young, he was considered the best. It's like Trinidad fighting Vargas... Vargas was young, but he still deserved the fight because he was #1 junior middle in the world (controversial decision with Wright aside :D ). Oscar was more glad to take low risk fight in old Chavez and MAGO who was rather fresh off a pathetic fight with Lamar Murphy and go off on his way to 147 than fight the top challenge in the division, KT.

I don't think Oscar's resume at Welter can be questioned much, Lopez skates by because of when the Quartey fight took place, and like I said his admission of avoidance.

I'm not sure "dance around" is the right phrase, so let me say it outright, I don't necessarily unanimously agree that in 1995 or 1996, Kostya was UNQUESTIONABLY the #! best guy at JWW. I can agree to that after recovering from the loss to Phillips, and after beating Gonzalez, and unifying the Titles. But regardless of how others viewed it at the time, I wouldn't have viewed a kid with that little Pro Fights as the "need to" Fight at Welter.

Perhaps that perspective does call in other questions of the very definition of "ducked"...but then it's always been a pretty vague term that's too open to personal interpretation.

IMO Kostya was the most dominant Jr Welter of all time.

He was the first real Undisputed Jr Welter champ (more than 2 straps) plus a Amature world title under his belt.

Watching his vids on Youtube, you cant say that Oscar would be able to control Tszyu's power and timing.

Vince Phillips did.

He was the first real Undisputed Jr Welter champ (more than 2 straps) plus a Amature world title under his belt.

Watching his vids on Youtube, you cant say that Oscar would be able to control Tszyu's power and timing.

a good jab (which Oscar still has) would most definately neutralize Tszyu.

When Tszyu lost his range he was very hittable

Oscar's ducks are no secret. He did it openly on several occasions. Especially where rematches were concerned.

I think Oscar would have been a tad cautious against Tszyu and taken a ud. Tszyu was a more punishing fighter. DLH had more flashy ko's but Tszyu broke his opponents down until they had nothing. I think DLH would stay mobile and deny Tszyu the opportunity to do that.

Thats an over-statement. There were several fighters throughout history at that weight that would have mopped up the floor with Tszyu.

Thats an over-statement. There were several fighters throughout history at that weight that would have mopped up the floor with Tszyu.

Aaron Pryor comes to mind but that would have been a war.

Saying anyone at that weight would "mop the floor" with Tszyu is a over-statement.

I think Ricky Hatton proved that it wasnt such an over-statement. Tszyu had great footwork but from the waste up he was very predictable and one dimensional. Several fighters at that weight throughout history would have given him the beating of his life including but not limited too

Roberto Duran, Prime Chavez, Medrick Taylor, Pernell Whitaker, and maybe even Hector Camacho.
Im sure I'm leaving out many worthy fighters. I just woke up so this will have to do.

I am a Tszyu fan. He was an exciting fighter. But, what has he done to earn earn any kind of statis as the best fighter at 140 ever? He beat Zab Judah, Sharmba Mitchell, and Miguel Angel Gonzolez in his biggest fights. That's impressive, but not that impressive. He has no really epic fights on his record. He had the opportunity to chase down greatness, but he didnt do it. He stayed in a weak division and reigned. Nothing wrong with that, but calling him the greatest at 140 is like calling Tyson the greatest at heavyweight.

Back