Oscar De La Hoya says that Canelo vs Jermall Charlo fight won’t happen

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/01/oscar-de-la-hoya-says-jermall-charlo-fight-wont-happen/

Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya said in an interview on Monday that Mexican star Saul Canelo Alvarez won’t fight WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo. “That train already left,” explained De La Hoya.

Canelo said he won’t fight WBO 160-lb champion Demetrius Andrade because “his style is boring and unattractive to his fanbase.”

If things were not ‘bad enough’, De La Hoya also pointed Canelo won’t fight WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders next — opposite to what other news media reported last week.

A bit of a bummer. I’ll admit though I actually would be interested in Canelo/Murata IF and ONLY IF they are serious about actually having it in Japan. That would be interesting if Canelo were to go over there for that fight

Smh
I've defended Canelo a lot on here. If this is true its beyond ridiculous. That's legit ducking multiple divisions at once...

So the Callum Smith fight is just not even mentioned? If I’m Smith I would be calling Canelo out about his fake 168 title and act like he didn’t really win a title in the weight class

These fucking guys....

A bit of a bummer. I’ll admit though I actually would be interested in Canelo/Murata IF and ONLY IF they are serious about actually having it in Japan. That would be interesting if Canelo were to go over there for that fight
That'd be basically Canelo vs Fielding 2....

Smith is much better than Fielding ever was and is quite possibly the best at 168

Smith also had Fielding’s scalp way before Canelo got to it

Smith is much better than Fielding ever was and is quite possibly the best at 168

Smith also had Fielding’s scalp way before Canelo got to it
I wasn't referencing Callum Smith

That fight was in the USA though when Fielding is from the U.K. right?
There’s just something that excites me about champions going to the challenger’s home country. My prime years as a boxing fan were like 2007-2011 and there was nothing I loved watching more than the likes of Sung Kil Moon, In Jin Chi, Chatchai Sasakul, Masao Ohba, Muangchai Kittikasem, I can sit here all day naming Asian fighters lol. I loved it the most when one from an Asian country goes to another Asian country. South Korea vs. Thailand is a fun rivalry to watch old fights of. I just think it’d be cool to see Canelo go to Japan to fight a Japanese fighter. I know it’s an easy win for Canelo. The concept excites me though. I can dig it. Shoot I wish I could go attend it lol

That fight was in the USA though when Fielding is from the U.K. right?
There’s just something that excites me about champions going to the challenger’s home country. My prime years as a boxing fan were like 2007-2011 and there was nothing I loved watching more than the likes of Sung Kil Moon, In Jin Chi, Chatchai Sasakul, Masao Ohba, Muangchai Kittikasem, I can sit here all day naming Asian fighters lol. I loved it the most when one from an Asian country goes to another Asian country. South Korea vs. Thailand is a fun rivalry to watch old fights of. I just think it’d be cool to see Canelo go to Japan to fight a Japanese fighter. I know it’s an easy win for Canelo. The concept excites me though. I can dig it. Shoot I wish I could go attend it lol
Oh now i actually get you....yeah from that angle i am on board with you.

I think the Fielding fight was either msg or barclays in brooklyn

I would like to see Canelo in the uk though. That would be a mad house dude. And they'd fill one of those humongous soccer stadiums so it'd be a big time environment.

Callum Smith would be perfect. He's good enough to potentially make that a real fight. But he doesn't quite have a big enough "profile" yet, as eddie hearn says.

If i was Mathroom i would make a playoff

In uk do BJS vs Callum Smith. Huge domestic fight for them over there. World titles up and everything. Winner getting Canelo would make it bigger too

Then in usa make either Canelo vs Andrade or Charlo, whoever jumped at the shot to go to 168 pounds

Then presumably Canelo vs Smith assuming he'd beat bjs which imo he would...and Smith would have a unified title after taking bjs title and keeping wbc i think is what he is

Perhaps they believe BJS vs Canelo is bigger than Canelo vs unified Smith

I doubt we see Canelo at 160 again so it makes sense he's not going to fight a champ at 160.

Oh now i actually get you....yeah from that angle i am on board with you.

I think the Fielding fight was either msg or barclays in brooklyn

I would like to see Canelo in the uk though. That would be a mad house dude. And they'd fill one of those humongous soccer stadiums so it'd be a big time environment.

Callum Smith would be perfect. He's good enough to potentially make that a real fight. But he doesn't quite have a big enough "profile" yet, as eddie hearn says.

If i was Mathroom i would make a playoff

In uk do BJS vs Callum Smith. Huge domestic fight for them over there. World titles up and everything. Winner getting Canelo would make it bigger too

Then in usa make either Canelo vs Andrade or Charlo, whoever jumped at the shot to go to 168 pounds

Then presumably Canelo vs Smith assuming he'd beat bjs which imo he would...and Smith would have a unified title after taking bjs title and keeping wbc i think is what he is

Perhaps they believe BJS vs Canelo is bigger than Canelo vs unified Smith

Canelo vs. a BJS/Smith winner in the U.K. would be epicccccc

Canelo vs. a BJS/Smith winner in the U.K. would be epicccccc
The problem with that though is BJS seems like a bigger name there and Smith would probably win...

But i agree entirely

All those moments of Canelo landing to the body, and countering BJS back to his teen years playing in my head. Gone! No Mas, Non Piu...

Way to break a guys heart you red, uncle Panchos secret Tacos eating fucker! :(:(

I can see how a Murata fight might please DAZN, seeing as it will be a big fight in Japan and they can sell subscriptions and tickets with it, but the long-term GBP plan of fighting nobodies and washed up fighters will be disappointing. I wonder how they’ll resolve things.

I doubt we see Canelo at 160 again so it makes sense he's not going to fight a champ at 160.

This. He’s just fought at 175 and there aren’t many interesting opponents left at 160, I guess. Or they can move up to fight him.

I thought we were getting Canelo/BJS?
<{vega}>

Fuck it, let's see Canelo/Beterbiev, then. C'mon!!!

We're not getting Canelo vs BJS then... or Canelo vs Andrade or (Jermall) Charlo? That really sounds like a bad excuse from Canelo about Andrade being boring and an unattractive fight. Andrade is a Middleweight titleholder and the only guy with a strap that Canelo didn't fight when he unified that division.

It seems to me what's really going on here is that Canelo and his team recognize that a couple of those guys have the potential to make Canelo look bad stylistically, Andrade in particular. Canelo would be favored to beat all three but he isn't likely to look his best against two of them (Andrade & BJS) due to their mobility and boxing skills. Andrade would pose some real stylistic difficulties to Canelo and I'm not the only one that wanted to see that fight to see how he dealt with that.

Smh
I've defended Canelo a lot on here. If this is true its beyond ridiculous. That's legit ducking multiple divisions at once...
I wouldn't call it ducking though it does seem strange that the last and only Middleweight titleholder he didn't challenge to become undisputed is the one he's now publicly blacklisted (Andrade). I don't even think these fights are all that interesting but why would any elite fighter limit their options by making a list of top guys they don't want to fight? Usually it's the other way around and the fights of significant interest are put out there publicly by that fighter and his team.

Back