Orwellian spy cameras in homes now a reality?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ZroC, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ZroC

ZroC Silver Belt

It's strange, but just five years ago I never would have imagined they would ever manage to get a surveillance camera in every home, but lately this is more and more becoming a reality and people don't even realise it.

We may not be quite there yet but there is a clear trend of people installing cameras in their own home without even realising anyone with a little know how can hack into them. Often these cameras are connected to a higher server who might access your camera at any time.

The Xbox Kinnect is probably the worst offender as it's openly linked to an Xbox server, it gathers information about you as is capable of picking up key words. It memorises your face and can recognise who is in the room at the time. On a lesser extent the PS eye works in the same way only it isn't openly linked to a sony server. There's really no way to know if someone is watching you on it, whether it be a Microsoft employee or your neighbour.

These I-pads and androids are another offender. People don't realise these devices can be accessed very easily by anyone with the know how. They're very powerful devices as proven by the many versatile apps we can download - apps for tracking, apps for facial recognition, apps to connect one camera to another. Hell I even downloaded an app for a metal detector last night. A lot of people tend to root their Androids too, which is basically the equivalent of bending your Android over and hoping the hacker will please go easy on you.

As I'm typing this now I have a webcam on my laptop right in front of me. There's a camera above my TV in my living room. A camera on my I-phone. So quickly now we've become so used to being watched by cameras that we don't even notice what's been building around us. Hell, I just rigged my Nexus to connect to laptop camera, I can see my house wherever I go now. Problem is I don't know if anyone else is doing that same thing to me. I could probably do to other people if I wanted to. The other day some stranger I was chatting to in the pub went to the toilet and left me with his phone. I could rigged that thing to pieces and ruined his life. Someone else might decide to do something else next time.

2. Bolshevik***

Bolshevik*** Banned Banned

heheh. that's why always make sure to unplug mine when i'm not using them.

oh, and in before: "conspiracy theory...tin foil hat...etc."

3. Gene Tunney

Gene Tunney Black Belt

I put a piece of tape covering my laptop camera.

4. ZroC

ZroC Silver Belt

I'm really not trying to go that way. I just think it's so weird how fast society changed. I didn't put any argument or overall point in the OP in the hope it could stay in the Mayberry.

5. Bolshevik***

same here. my phone doesn't have a camera on it either.

6. Squirting Gun

Squirting Gun Blue Belt

Imma hack into your comp and watch you jo, ts.

7. Bolshevik***

i didn't get a sense of that from your post, but that's how sensitive/defensive people are these days. they're a true model of the sheep mentality. who needs gestapo when the populace is already policing itself?

8. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

I gotta say I do unplug the Kinect from the xbox when not in use.

When that fucker moves to track me when i'm playing a game it creeps me the fuck out.

9. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

People will welcome cameras into their home. Most likely the cameras will become advanced enough to only pick up illegal activities/marketing info. People will say "So what if this awesome electronic device I love catches criminals? Who gives a shit as long as you don't have anything to hide?"

People are dumb.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้ ส้้้้้้้้&#3

If this is true.. where are all the sites that just show random homes video cameras?

11. GSPOAB

GSPOAB Postin' 25/8 Platinum Member

I taped a tiny picture of goatse onto the lense of every camera I own. Let's see how they like that.

[​IMG]

12. ZroC

ZroC Silver Belt

have you never seen youtube vids where people fuck up incredibly, make themselves look stupid, then somehow it ends up posted on youtube? Why would they post up their own embarrassed fuck ups? Of course that's just my theory.

However, I know it's true because I just downloaded an App that lets me look through my laptop camera from my phone.

13. Bolshevik***

someone gets it.

that'll show 'em.

[​IMG]

14. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Woah, what app is that? I want it!

15. MortalWombat

MortalWombat Vombatus Sherdoggus

Enjoy the hours of footage of me picking my nose, spies.

16. Fawlty

Fawlty Guest

It's something to consider. We're getting closer each year. Our emails, texts, phone calls, and internet activity are all compromised- actually stored on government servers. So no it's not hard to imagine full surveillance. We're virtually there already. You can minimize it though, if it bothers you.

17. Bolshevik***

that's why i use fake names, birthdays, security questions, etc. for everything. sometimes it makes it very difficult to access accounts when i forget the password -_-

18. Tycho Brah

Tycho Brah You drink water, I drink anarchy Platinum Member

I thought webcam hacking was a myth.

Or maybe it's a myth that it's a myth...

I'll go with this, to be safe.

19. Benoco

Benoco Red Belt

If someone wants to watch me masturbate I'd be flattered.

It is an insane idea, after the phone hacking fiasco I'd believe almost anything is possible.

Will we start seeing headlines like this?:

"Scary Spice picks nose and eats it while watching TV, sitting room very spacious" - according to source.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  20. Tycho Brah

Tycho Brah You drink water, I drink anarchy Platinum Member

When you consider how many people it would take to maintain a system of complete surveillance on everyone else, you realize you'd know about it if it was happening. Shit would leak.

Or not, I'm talking out my ass here. Come at me tech wizards.