Social Orthodox Jewish man on airplane covers himself in plastic bags.

If it did not affect anyone around him let him be. Now if he was shouting all had to do it or some other craziness (besides wrapping himself in bags) then boot him off the flight.

So we should let people believe falsehood if it makes them feel good? Like let people spend their money on spiritual gurus, fortune tellers, feng shui and spread lies if they hurt no one and make people feel good?

Yes, we should. It's every person's right to handle their own religious and spiritual life. Your line of logic would necessarily lead to freely punishing and persecuting people because of religion, spirituality, or superstition unless they can prove it heals lepers, multiplies bread and fish, etc.

This is dishonesty and lack of intellectual integrity of the highest level.

Okay. If you can point to any time when I argued the opposite -- that persons should be punished for doing things that affect no one else because those things cannot be empirically proven to benefit them -- you might have a case.

Yes, we should. It's every person's right to handle their own religious and spiritual life. Your line of logic would necessarily lead to freely punishing and persecuting people because of religion, spirituality, or superstition unless they can prove it heals lepers, multiplies bread and fish, etc.
Maybe not religion. But the other stuff should definitely be if not outlawed at least made explicitly clear to everyone that they are selling lies, especially when it concerns health and money. Truth first always.

Maybe not religion. But the other stuff should definitely be if not outlawed at least made explicitly clear to everyone that they are selling lies, especially when it concerns health and money. Truth first always.

So you're advocating consumer warnings in the vein of "this product or service has not been empirically demonstrated to yield positive health benefits"?

Some states already have those, and the snake oil-type products are already de facto labeled as such by not having gained federal approval, such as with supplements. I am certainly with you that more stringent consumer regulations and protections are needed, whether with supplements/remedies or with shitty for-profit schools like Trump U.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dGWqwHo-L3MUthvf-iGB2z2ax_YO6hSfdJkVb1ZGag9Jo

How come this lunatic didn't get kicked off the plane? I think the case of this nut in plastic goes beyond an inability for him to challenge his beliefs based on new evidence. It’s also an inability to think critically and rationally.

- There exists a “taharah, purity” (no evidence for that)
- Flying over a cemetery compromise that purity (no evidence for that)
- Wrapping a thin layer of plastic around you will protect your purity, where the fuselage of the plane (many times thicker than plastic wrap) somehow fails to protect you.

A glaring example of what happens when we let our cognitive biases run amok. Welcome to religion.
The shepherd mentality. When someone is minding their own business but you don’t like what they do, so you must attack them.

So you're advocating consumer warnings in the vein of "this product or service has not been empirically demonstrated to yield positive health benefits"?

Some states already have those, and the snake oil-type products are already de facto labeled as such by not having gained federal approval, such as with supplements. I am certainly with you that more stringent consumer regulations and protections are needed, whether with supplements/remedies or with shitty for-profit schools like Trump U.
I'm aware of this to some extent. They cannot make false claims about their products either if I am not mistaken. But some "products and services", feng shui, tarot reading, astrology, homeopathy, should have clear labels indicating that it is speculation and nothing demonstrated about the product or service. Here in Spain we have fortune tellers making $$$ while no one who uses these services has been told that there is nothing proven about these services or that they have been falsified like astrology. There should be explicit acknowledgement that the services is not tested or if tested what the result is when it comes to these things. A disclaimer stating that the service is does not really do what it is advertised as doing or something.

Back