Social Orthodox Jewish man on airplane covers himself in plastic bags.

You mean religious people do nutty shit?
Color me shocked.

I find it rather bizarre, but as long as it doesn't compromise the safety of other or himself, it shouldnt be a big deal.

Most deeply religious people are in fact insane. It's a form of tolerated insanity. Not healthy at all.
There is a spirituality and peace of mind approach, and then there's orthodoxy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dGWqwHo-L3MUthvf-iGB2z2ax_YO6hSfdJkVb1ZGag9Jo

How come this lunatic didn't get kicked off the plane? I think the case of this nut in plastic goes beyond an inability for him to challenge his beliefs based on new evidence. It’s also an inability to think critically and rationally.

- There exists a “taharah, purity” (no evidence for that)
- Flying over a cemetery compromise that purity (no evidence for that)
- Wrapping a thin layer of plastic around you will protect your purity, where the fuselage of the plane (many times thicker than plastic wrap) somehow fails to protect you.

A glaring example of what happens when we let our cognitive biases run amok. Welcome to religion.
I am not Jewish, but that guy was not hurting anyone and he has just as much of a right to be on that plane as me or you do.

Were the plastic bags something he brought onto the plane or did he ask the airline to provide them?

Check the date of that new story. 2013!! What the heck fellas?

Ah, the old spirit condom. Comes in handy once in awhile.

Ah, the old spirit condom. Comes in handy once in awhile.

The business man in me wants to create a business where I can sell magic, impenetrable duct tape to these nut jobs. Once you wrap yourself in it you are immune from all forms of reality. So if there are a few million of them and i sell each roll of body tape for $10, i can retire very quickly.

The business man in me wants to create a business where I can sell magic, impenetrable duct tape to these nut jobs. Once you wrap yourself in it you are immune from all forms of reality. So if there are a few million of them and i sell each roll of body tape for $10, i can retire very quickly.

Unfortunately for you, I have already come up with a magic talisman that protects the wearer from scam artists and it will be selling for $8

Unfortunately for you, I have already come up with a magic talisman that protects the wearer from scam artists and it will be selling for $8

Darn it.

So... Mr. IDL, what's your take on religion? Do you personally believe in a god?

Is he an executive at CNN or in Hollyweird who has a commitment to making white men look like idiots in the Media? If not, odds are he's more intelligent than average, not a criminal, and doing fairly well, and I have no problem with him or his faith.

Jews gonna Jews...

Btw if you ever take a plane with bunch of Orthodox Jews n they happen to be seated next to a woman... yikes!

Darn it.

So... Mr. IDL, what's your take on religion? Do you personally believe in a god?

I think religion contains a lot of powerful philosophy and life advice, and people who take it seriously I am sure gain an advantage in doing so. But like any sort of belief system, results will vary as humans do. It creates a transcending identity and can be a powerful force in uniting people too, which is generally good but it can come up against other beliefs systems obviously. Without it I think there is a void in society.

I'm not religious though. As for God, well I leave a place in my understanding of the universe for such a thing. Who am I to say there is not such a thing, whatever it may be.

I think religion contains a lot of powerful philosophy and life advice, and people who take it seriously I am sure gain an advantage in doing so. But like any sort of belief system, results will vary as humans do. It creates a transcending identity and can be a powerful force in uniting people too, which is generally good but it can come up against other beliefs systems obviously. Without it I think there is a void in society.

I'm not religious though. As for God, well I leave a place in my understanding of the universe for such a thing. Who am I to say there is not such a thing, whatever it may be.

Okay. Interesting. About the void in society idea without religion, the societies that don't have religion are the best places to live in. Secular societies have the greatest standards of living. Also the term void is very vague.

Did it hurt anyone? No? Then I have no problem with it.

It makes him feel better and like he's being faithful to his religion and God. That's a pretty huge freedom to take away just because it looks silly or makes us uncomfortable.

And he's not presenting it as a scientific position, although you are welcome to present some scientific proof that flying over graveyards doesn't disturb the spirits of the dead or entail a moral sin.
So we should let people believe falsehood if it makes them feel good? Like let people spend their money on spiritual gurus, fortune tellers, feng shui and spread lies if they hurt no one and make people feel good?

This is dishonesty and lack of intellectual integrity of the highest level.

I think you guys are missing some points here...he didn't hurt anybody per se but this kind of stuff creates a lot of problems for airliners and other passengers. He might very well die inside that plastic bag ad then the plane will be forced to, in some situations, to land earlier before reaching its destination.
That is, if it's a 12h flight they can't have a corpse for 10 hours on board.
And if he needs to use an oxygen mask he won't be able to and then according to the law in some places the airliner will need to stay on the ground until he comes to his senses and leave the airplane or gets convinced they will not fly over a cemetery.
It's a bit like these muslim women that want to take ID pictures wearing a burka. It's OK if she wants to live in a burka to avoid going to hell but she is indirectly endangering other people by not having a proper ID and thus not being able to be identified by police. AKA, any criminal or terrorist can steal her ID and go around in a Burka and nobody will know the difference.

So we should let people believe falsehood if it makes them feel good? Like let people spend their money on spiritual gurus, fortune tellers, feng shui and spread lies if they hurt no one and make people feel good?

This is dishonesty and lack of intellectual integrity of the highest level.
What? Does any country even makes it illegal to spend your money on feng shui?

What? Does any country even makes it illegal to spend your money on feng shui?
No but they should. It's just like acupuncture, phrenology, and all alternative medicine and theories. Feels good but does nothing good.

Back