Ortega will never be champ

Maybe not but let's celebrate the mans grit. Coming back to win the last round after getting thumped on in the two previous rounds is nothing short of amazing. Elite fighters are just built different.

I will definitely give the man his due but it really irritated me that he got extra time to rest after each of those beatings. If someone has been smashed so bad you have to check him, check him during his minute.

Probably an unpopular opinion.

I will definitely give the man his due but it really irritated me that he got extra time to rest after each of those beatings. If someone has been smashed so bad you have to check him, check him during his minute.

Probably an unpopular opinion.
He will always get smashed.

Pounded.

Ortega needs to do what Demian Maia did and train with a World Class Striking Coach such as Rafael Cordeiro of Kings MMA (formerly of Chute Boxe), His striking is awkward IMHO and he has absolutely zero striking defense aside from using his face. Just needs a fine tune and he should be able to FINALLY win that elusive UFC FW strap.

It's not that.
He has amazing skillset. His submission attempts on Volk are testament to that.
It's the mental part that's the problem.
Whenever he faces crazy dudes with sick determination, he folds.

Max Holloway, Volk, and fighters in other divisions such as Hooker, Lawler, etc.
Those are freaking legends that will not fold, will not break, will fight until death.
Ortega ain't about that life.

It's not that.

Max Holloway, Volk, and fighters in other divisions such as Hooker, Lawler, etc.
Those are freaking legends that will not fold, will not break, will fight until death.
Yeah.

He isn't about that life.

It’s funny when you strive not to be that dickhead in any one circle of people where there’s always one dude who says so and so won’t ever be this or that…..the hater essentially ….. and then you author a thread like this and put it in writing

Ortega isn’t so far away from the title to say something like this He’s def top 3 in my book and can be champ on any given day Had he put Volk in those submissions in the earlier rounds where he was possibly fresher who knows Dude has big heart that’s for sure I wouldn’t bet against him nope

It's not that.

He did the opposite of folding. There were a lot of moments when he could have covered up and waited for the judge to call the fight. Honestly, folding would have been smart considering the amount of punishment he took. I won't be surprised if the next time he fights he's a a shell of himself or if he starts being knocked out by gusts of wind.

It’s funny when you strive not to be that dickhead in any one circle of people where there’s always one dude who says so and so won’t ever be this or that…..the hater essentially ….. and then you author a thread like this and put it in writing
Yessir.

I hate to call it like it is.

Ortega is to be pounded.

"It is what it is" - Max Florian

@Substance Abuse

He did the opposite of folding. There were a lot of moments when he could have covered up and waited for the judge to call the fight. Honestly, folding would have been smart considering the amount of punishment he took. I won't be surprised if the next time he fights he's a a shell of himself or if he starts being knocked out by gusts of wind.

Still, there was that feeling by rd 3 after he did those submissions, that he mentally gave up on winning.
Still a tough bastard, don't get me wrong. But Volk is on another level.

He folds his winning card.

I would say more like Yoel, both very tough, both capable of very dangerous one off moments but not quite enough to be champ.

Bad comparison imho.

Romero gave Whittaker all he could handle, ko-ed Rockhold (which would have made him IC had he not missed weight) and had a competitive (albeit weird) fight with Adesanya. Ortega just gets battered and outclassed against in the two championships fight he has been in. He showed incredible heart and toughness to be sure, but not that he can actually hang with the best the way Romero could.

I do agree, he can't top Volk or max and they should be around a while.

More than that. Out of the top FW I would confidently pick Giga and Zabit (assuming he is not retired) to beat Ortega. Guys like Cattar, Yair, Edson would give him a tough fight as well. At the moment he has a god-tier chin but the moment it gets cracked (probably in not too long the way he fights) it is going to be a quick downfall.

He will be champ if he sticks around long enough, for one simple reason: He's had his ups and downs and still already had two title fights, a lot of guys never get one title fight even with a better resume than Ortega. The UFC must like him or they wouldn't have fast-tracked him into two title fights despite popping for PED's and coming off as an all-around phony and fake guy who's difficult to deal with. For that reason , logic dictates that he will get another title fight or two in the future after getting another win streak going.

He is the weight class's pinata.

Meant to be hammered.
Honestly, he almost beat Volk. If somehow his guillotine was 10% tighter volk would go out. All credit to volk for hanging in and powering through. So It's not like It would be an Impossible feat.

Beating Max seems like an Impossible feat to him though.

Back