Ortega/Volkanovski 3rd round scrap - question for people who train

The guillotine was so fucking deep it was insane.. would have finished any other guy in the division. Will have to watch the triangle again, but it looked really deep at the time as well. The fact that Ortega got deep on three different subs, in a very instantaneous manner was very impressive.

Volk didn't show any technical ability in escaping those subs, he is basically a superhuman made of granite, and essentially waited out / powered out of those submissions...

We have guys at training like that, some guys are just built different and won't pass out / give up even if the sub is quite deep. Apparently Volk was dominating guys in his first days of training mma.. he's just a natural beast.
If Brian Ortega who is a BJJ savant cannot submit Volkanovski then nobodyt else is likely to. Which leaves path to victory for future Volk opponents either a decision win (good luck outworking Volka) or a KO.
I cannot see Volka losing anytime soon. If he goes to 155lbs (as he said he'd like to, to stay busy) I'd say he'd still do pretty well.

If either Max or Yair Rodriguez drops out of their bout via injury or COVID, i'd say it's almost guaranteed Volkanovski would jump in there and take that fight as long as he got maybe 3 or 4 weeks notice.

If the MAx vs Yair fight does happen, my guess is that UFC will offer Volka a fight at 155lbs shortly after that.

Back