Ortega is tough, but now what?

His destiny lies the result of the max vs Yair fight
Either
If Yair pulls of what I'd imagine would be a reasonably sized upset you really want Ortega to get destroyed by Max again? Wouldn't mind seeing him and Giga to see if Giga's ground game has really come on like he's claimed.

If Yair pulls of what I'd imagine would be a reasonably sized upset you really want Ortega to get destroyed by Max again? Wouldn't mind seeing him and Giga to see if Giga's ground game has really come on like he's claimed.

I think Yair has a very decent chance here given Max has never faced a fighter quite like him

if max wins I’m sure Ortega wants it Don’t matter what I want for him

I think Yair has a very decent chance here given Max has never faced a fighter quite like him

if max wins I’m sure Ortega wants it Don’t matter what I want for him
If Max wins I'm equally sure Ortega isn't getting that fight. As for Yair I don't see it though tbf I think Volk with his ability to wrestle is a far worse match up for Yair than Max is. That's just going to be a straight stand up fight, I think Yair will wilt and Max will run him over for either a stoppage in the championship rounds if it's a main event or a increasingly dominant UD if it's a 3 rounder.

If Max wins I'm equally sure Ortega isn't getting that fight. As for Yair I don't see it though tbf I think Volk with his ability to wrestle is a far worse match up for Yair than Max is. That's just going to be a straight stand up fight, I think Yair will wilt and Max will run him over for either a stoppage in the championship rounds if it's a main event or a increasingly dominant UD if it's a 3 rounder.
Yeah that winner is going for Volk I musta been tripping ….so the LOSER is the one likely facing Ortega next

I know KZ is keeping it local right now he’s in Arizona right now looking for the cherry pick hoping someone falls out of a fight Last night happened as planned so that leaves Max vs Yair Bringing this up only to add another crinkle to this

Where'd you get the third one from? The guillotine was close af, thought the triangle wasn't as close but assume you're counting that, what's the third time?
Darce choke on the cage.

He's absorbed 200+ strikes in that fight. Might as well sit out the year and come back next year. He's still only 30 years old. He still got time.

I think he is trying to make too big of a jump at once. He's improved but a lot of the most important improvement comes with being active and fighting different mid - elite llevel guys in the division. Fights like Kattar, Ige, Giga, KZ,, etc. In these type of fights is where he can really mold his style and iron out some new wrinkles in his game. He's trying to snatch all the marbles all at once and it hasn't worked out for him. He should be more active and take a few top 10 fights IMO.

I agree and I think it was a mistake on the part of the UFC to give him another TS after a single win (no matter how good a showing that was). Ortega is super exciting, but has never consistently dominated his opposition. Guida, Cub and Moicano had him toruble, and I think those fighters you mentioned give him a tough time as well (he'd probably beat Ige and KZ again, but I would favor Giga and Kattar to beat Ortega).

Wasn't particularly close though was it? First two I'll give you particularly the guillotine, was impressive af Volk toughed his way out of that one.
he just needed to entangle a leg to finish it which he got pretty close to doing. Probably would have if he wasnt on the cage

Whaaaaat?
Dude, he has 3 subs in UFC against decent opponents, but not a top opponent.
Charles, Maia, Werdum... come on!
charles catches stuff from weird transitions too but mostly Werdum and Maia are bread and butter. They’re amazing at chaining positions to a perfect setup. This is the higher probability model than jumping on a sub from some weird non setup, but the problem with Ortega is he hasn’t really shown that he can implement something like that. Charles has consistently shown he can do both against high level opponents.

He needs to take some time off after a war like this. Ortega is the third best fighter in one of the most stacked divisions in MMA. He will get another chance. He just needs to go back the drawing board and keep on improving. I think he proved to everyone that he has what it takes to a champion. The rest is small adjustments and repetitions.

A year from now Zabit or Giga could be champ. Ortega just has to heal up, improve, and if he can get a couple of wins he could find himself fighting for the belt again.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him at 55 though. He’s a pretty big FW and I think he could have good fights with a lot of the top guys currently at 155.

There's much
Him and Poirier are about the same size. Poirier is doing quite well. Chandler fights at LW and he's doing quite well too.
Bigger guys at 155 all around . Dustin literally has fat guy genetics, Chandler is just a ball of muscle.sonyhey are exceptions imo. There's some big dudes that cut to 155 , Ortega isn't one of them

30 years old, looks like a pretty solid top 10 fighter.

Its weird how many people forget he rose up the ranks by getting beat up and pulling off a submission. He needs to keep refining his overall MMA game to compliment his freaky good submission attacks.

Volk and Holloway are both special talents, best of their generation. It can appear lopsided if you don't take into account how special both of those guys are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back