Ortega is tough, but now what?

FW is basically holloway and volk... then the rest are trash. Giga is the only rising prospect right now. Similar to WW where its usman/colby.... then a sharp dropoff in talent.

best bet for ortega ? get a strength and conditioning coach. work on grappling. he's got very good BJJ skills but they are useless if you can't dictate where the fight takes place.

volk and holloway both just shucked him off everytime he tried to grapple

FW is basically holloway and volk... then the rest are trash. Giga is the only rising prospect right now. Similar to WW where its usman/colby.... then a sharp dropoff in talent.

best bet for ortega ? get a strength and conditioning coach. work on grappling. he's got very good BJJ skills but they are useless if you can't dictate where the fight takes place.

volk and holloway both just shucked him off everytime he tried to grapple
Wrestling is the hardest part to learn later in your career.

Those 2 years off he took worked out well his first fight back…haven’t seen his TUF coaching yet.. I don’t see a path or a reason other than high level gatekeeper. He’s not going to hold the gold.
The vast majority of fighters will never win a championship. That doesn't mean he can't have a good career.

Take a step back in competition and headline a couple fight nights. He can work his way back into title contention easily.

That’s a huge maybe. Ask Max

Max lost to who is widely considered to be the best active LW right now, and he had is moments in the fight. there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't have success at slightly lower ranked 155'ers until he got more comfortable in the weight class. Ortega could be similar, won't know unless he tries

Sadly his future is in Dana’s hands.

So anything could happen

He needs to stop taking such brutal damage in his fights, or his time as a top contender will be short lived.
Has it ever occurred to anybody that most of his wins came from behind after getting his ass kicked for most of the fight? Against the truly elite he hasn’t been able to pull a sub out of his ass, and he loses, badly. He has no defence other than a solid chin. Which will eventually fail him. He’s got the wrong mix of assets at the moment. No need to overthink it.

Last 3 fights, 2 of his losses were brutal. He’s not a plus athlete. He had 2 subs locked up last night, couldn’t finish. Props to Volk.
But like now what? Fight who exactly after taking two brutal beat downs for the title.
Can’t move up…can’t move down..
I’m not sure what his team is telling him…3rd time is the charm 3 years from now? I just don’t see a path other than gatekeeper. Prove me wrong?
The dude is doing what he loves on a daily basis. It’s not so black n white for these guys, that it’s either win gold or bust. Of course he wants to become champion, but again, he’s living his dream n making a lot of money doing it.

Keep training and improving? Not everybody is going to be champ, but his job is fighting, so....keep fighting and making money I supose.

I think he is trying to make too big of a jump at once. He's improved but a lot of the most important improvement comes with being active and fighting different mid - elite llevel guys in the division. Fights like Kattar, Ige, Giga, KZ,, etc. In these type of fights is where he can really mold his style and iron out some new wrinkles in his game. He's trying to snatch all the marbles all at once and it hasn't worked out for him. He should be more active and take a few top 10 fights IMO.

His ability to grab and finish submissions on the fly is maybe the best we’ve seen in mma, and he clearly hits hard and has probably the best frame you could ask for at 145.

Whaaaaat?
Dude, he has 3 subs in UFC against decent opponents, but not a top opponent.
Charles, Maia, Werdum... come on!

The dude is doing what he loves on a daily basis. It’s not so black n white for these guys, that it’s either win gold or bust. Of course he wants to become champion, but again, he’s living his dream n making a lot of money doing it.

He's not going to be doing what he loves much longer if he keeps getting more beat downs like what max and volk did. The brain damage and time off needed adds up.

Hopefully he can bank a few million in the next few years so he can live comfortable in retirement. He made $300k this fight... alot of that is going to taxes, coaches, maybe child support too.

He's got to go Maia mode and just work more on getting people down and working his BJJ.

He's a fairly marketable guy so he probably only really needs two top wins to get back to a title shot.

He's just not a naturally fluid athlete on the feet. He's got decent power and creativity but Volk was beating him to the punch all night and wasn't able to take advantage of his height/reach.

Keep training, keep fighting, improve, like any other individual doing his best every day. Maybe he achieves glory. What a stupid thread.

He's behind two of the absolute best fighters in the world. There's no shame in that. I'm sure he'll keep trying to improve and try to get there one day.
Yeah he really did just walk into the greatest FW's of his era. I actually thought Ortega looked better than ever. There's alot of things he did good, but Volk was just too much.

Let's just hope this loss didn't take too much out of him.

He had three near finishes. Not exactly a lost cause
Where'd you get the third one from? The guillotine was close af, thought the triangle wasn't as close but assume you're counting that, what's the third time?

Back