Ortega is going to MURDER Volk

I was wrong about Ortega but this doesn't change my opinion much if he fought Volk right now. Volk is good at avoiding exchanges. Look at Volks fight with Max and how the guy avoided Holloways pressure.

KZ came forward with heavy pressure and allowed Ortega to sit back to counter. Volk vs Ortega will be a staring contest with this strategy.

I hope Brian is, indeed, next .I know that was the said plan but this is the UFC. This will be one helluva fight .A possible dead coin flip fight. Ortega a fucking stud - I want to see opener( odds) but I'm kind of liking t-city ( and little to do with last night - he was undefeated and evolving before max fight and that kind of needed to happen in retro.....hes champion material- we'll see if he can reach pinnacle on 2nd crack agsinst a diff opp)

As it stands no he's not in that conversation as of yet but he's certainly heading in the right direction, but I do think post the 2nd Max fight everyone suddenly thinks he's an easy out, if he was he'd have gone away against Max in the championship rounds instead of entirely turning it around. He's going to surprise you ortega nut huggers, who you should remember got absolutely brutalized by Max, Volk will once again show there's levels to this game.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if you were Volk himself, or someone close to him haha.

Well best of luck I guess, but the division could do with less midgets who throw air punches on the regular. This just isn't fan friendly in the slightest, so it will be a breath of fresh air the moment T-City beats him.

Mendes was way past it, and even then gave Volk all he could handle. Aldo too was wayyyyy past it lol. The only fight I give Volk props for is the first Max fight (he won that through clever strategy), but don't you dare pretend he won the second fight, he didn't.

Now when it comes to fighters who I have no doubt will beat him moving forward, here you go:

1) Max (Style wise though, this is actually Volks best matchup)

2) Ortega

3) Kattar

4) Emmett

5) Ige

6) Barboza

The above guys smash him, I have no doubt.

The same Aldo that just fought for a title and beat Moraes? (No one thought the judges scored that fight properly)

1. Max - I don't see Max getting another shot against Volk anytime soon. No one has interest in a dead rubber. They had close fights but Max lost both of them.

2. Ortega - Out of that list Ortega is the best chance of beating Volk. Ortega won't have any issue if Volk takes him to the ground and Volk will know this. He might try and keep it standing and go to his wrestling if that doesn't work out. Will be an interesting fight for sure.

3. Kattar - I am a big fan of Kattar. I just don't see him being able to stop Volk from implementing his game. I can see a boring fight with Volk winning a UD.

4. Emmet - Josh is going to be coming off an injury and has at least 1, more likely 2 fights before he gets a shot at the title. Assuming that happens by the time he gets his shot he would almost 37. I'm not going to think too hard about how that fight goes because I don't think it will happen.

5. Ige - Another fight that most likely won't happen. He was lucky to get the two split decision wins. A different result on the split would have meant he wouldn't even be ranked now.

6. Barboza - We have all seen how Barboza goes against decent wrestlers. Volk is also extremely tough. I think he would be able to take the shots Barboza throws and eventually get the UD.

I think apart from Ortega the thing to beat Volk will be father time. Things start to decline once you are over 30. I think he only has a few good years left in him before he starts to decline noticeably.

It is pretty impressive that Volk is undefeated in his last 19 fights (7 years). His recent resume is pretty impressive, probably one of the best in the UFC. Holloway x 2, Aldo and Mendes are some quality opponents.

It's a shame we will never see McGregor or Poirier drop back down to FW. They would be some interesting match ups.

I dont know why but Volkanovski is one of the only fighters i have bitterly hated over my 10 years of watching UFC.

Brian did look really improved. Current Brian would be a fun rematch for Max.

After seeing T-City dismantle Zombie with absolute ease, there is no way in hell Volk stands a chance. Tbh, Volk is massively overrated, and had some favourable match-ups style wise, but I can name quite a few fighters below him in the rankings who would give him the work.

Brian Ortega is the next champ, without a shadow of a doubt.
Lol. Recency bias in full effect.

Volkanovski is a much better fighte than Ortega. Favorable matchups? Mendes, Aldo, and Holloway??

Classic Sherdog thread. The day after a fight the winner would destroy the champ.

Volkanovski is on another level, and I will bump this thread when he dismantles Ortega.

I don’t know if he will murder him but I think that Volk is a favorable match up for Ortega.

Volkanovski is consistently one of the most disrespected champs on the roster while simultaneously being one of the most skilled champs on the roster. I guess beating fan favorite Max Holloway TWICE via points really rustled some jimmies

After seeing T-City dismantle Zombie with absolute ease, there is no way in hell Volk stands a chance. Tbh, Volk is massively overrated, and had some favourable match-ups style wise, but I can name quite a few fighters below him in the rankings who would give him the work.

You mean the same Volk that twice beat the guy who murdered Ortega? All kidding aside, I would pick Ortega in this fight also.

lmao nah.

also lol at favourable matchups, mendes, aldo in brazil and holloway twice... yeah real easy matchups.

imagine more than half of this site still being too stupid to see how good volk is.

I thought the second Max fight was super close... edged it to Max for sure but not really a robbery. I'd favor Volk over anyone in the division right now, Ortega has a chance for sure and I think his new team who is more striking focused will no doubt game-plan for the leg kicks; I doubt they are worried too much about the ground game.

i hope youre right, but don't underestimate his toe touch to the shin, each one is worth five knockdowns.

I think Volkanovski will out decision Ortega. 60/40 in favor Volkanovski.

I know he wants the belt and all but to actually murder him? Seems over the top if I'm being honest.

It will be VERY interesting, that’s for sure.

Back