Ortega has taken too much damage

He's 41... wait a little while.

he could be like George Foreman. he took tons of shots unlike Overeem and he's fine.

plus guys like Nam Phan have shown brain damage already for years.

Everything we know about brain trauma and the lives of boxers suggests otherwise.
But Weidman was always chinny & looked progressively worse with each passing bout. He was never the toughest dude

Ortega is one of the toughest people the sport has ever seen, and keeps improving regardless of the punishment

Halle Berry doesn't sleep with fighters who get beat into a living death.

But Weidman was always chinny & looked progressively worse with each passing bout. He was never the toughest dude

Ortega is one of the toughest people the sport has ever seen, and keeps improving regardless of the punishment
Weidman took some good shots from Machida. He's got (or had) a decent chin, just not amazing by elite standards and Rockhold ended his prime.

I don't really know if I'd say Ortega improves more given that Weidman is the better fighter over all in my book, more skilled, better wins, even accounting for how good FW is.

Holloway beat the life out of him and Volk just did the same. Surely that's going to take a massive toll going forward?

I give him 2 years before he's out of the title picture and is losing more than winning. Beat downs like that take years from you.

Yes for sure. Taking so many hits within a short period of time is horrible.

His corner should have stopped it a round or two earlier.

he could be like George Foreman. he took tons of shots unlike Overeem and he's fine.

plus guys like Nam Phan have shown brain damage already for years.

Anecdotes don't matter, but since you brought up random examples, Foreman was stopped once in his career as a boxer.

Reem has been knocked out NINETEEN times.

We'll see.
He certainly was at his best against both KZ and tonight against Volkanovski, as weird as that (latter part) might sound.

He's still improving, but he can't keep taking this kind of punishment; and it's not just the Max and Volk fights, Tavarez, cub, and moicano really put a beating on him too until he pulled the victories out of his ass. Hopefully for his sake the improvements keep coming.

Anecdotes don't matter, but since you brought up random examples, Foreman was stopped once in his career as a boxer.

Reem has been knocked out NINETEEN times.

yes, but that's what i'm saying. getting knocked out is not as bad as enduring countless wars the way Foreman has. he was never knocked down vs Holyfield but did you see the absolute battering he got from Evander?

so if George Foreman is fine, why can't Overeem be fine since he has apparently incurred less damage. and like i said, many fighters have shown signs of cte who were younger than Overeem.

i'm not saying he'll never get CTE but you seem very confident that he will, even though i don't really see any evidence for it beside the amount of times he's been KO'd.

yes, but that's what i'm saying. getting knocked out is not as bad as enduring countless wars the way Foreman has. he was never knocked down vs Holyfield but did you see the absolute battering he got from Evander?

The science is out on this but there is a lot to suggest CTE from repeated, low impact brain trauma. The type you get in sparring if you aren't well trained.

Either way, getting KNOCKED THE FK OUT definitely causes brain trauma. There is no way to talk around Overeem having extraordinary amounts of brain trauma, from training at a hardcore kickboxing gym in Holland known for killing each other, to getting his lights put out over a dozens times in fights.

so if George Foreman is fine, why can't Overeem be fine since he has apparently incurred less damage. and like i said, many fighters have shown signs of cte who were younger than Overeem.

You brought up an anecdote.

"My cousin drove 110 MPH on a freeway and didn't get hurt, why can't everyone drive 110 MPH on the freeway and not get hurt?"

Seriously come on lol

The science is out on this but there is a lot to suggest CTE from repeated, low impact brain trauma. The type you get in sparring if you aren't well trained.

Either way, getting KNOCKED THE FK OUT definitely causes brain trauma. There is no way to talk around Overeem having extraordinary amounts of brain trauma, from training at a hardcore kickboxing gym in Holland known for killing each other, to getting his lights put out over a dozens times in fights.

You brought up an anecdote.

"My cousin drove 110 MPH on a freeway and didn't get hurt, why can't everyone drive 110 MPH on the freeway and not get hurt?"

Seriously come on lol

yes it's an anecdote, but it also proves that it's not a lock that you will be a slobbering vegetable in your later years.

for sure Overeem has incurred an insane amount of brain damage compared to the average person, but who knows how it will affect him.

yes it's an anecdote, but it also proves that it's not a lock that you will be a slobbering vegetable in your later years.

for sure Overeem has incurred an insane amount of brain damage compared to the average person, but who knows how it will affect him.
You don't suffer 50 concussions in a lifetime without nearly a guarantee of diminished quality of life. That's just not how the human body works bro.

Even George Chuvalo was showing bad signs later in life and he's still the shining example of walling away from boxing with his health.

You don't suffer 50 concussions in a lifetime without nearly a guarantee of diminished quality of life. That's just not how the human body works bro.

Even George Chuvalo was showing bad signs later in life and he's still the shining example of walling away from boxing with his health.

i didn't say he has zero brain damage, i said maybe he can still live a decent life.

anecdotes mean nothing the other guy said, sure, unless you happen to be one of the anecdotes. then it means everything.

i didn't say he has zero brain damage, i said maybe he can still live a decent life.

anecdotes mean nothing the other guy said, sure, unless you happen to be one of the anecdotes. then it means everything.
Hmm, should we be an optimist and focus on the exception or 90 percent of the other cases.

You also have major sample bias here. You don't see 99 percent of a fighters life. Most of the quality of life issues are easy to keep out of the public eye.

Hmm, should we be an optimist and focus on the exception or 90 percent of the other cases.

You also have major sample bias here. You don't see 99 percent of a fighters life. Most of the quality of life issues are easy to keep out of the public eye.

no, i just look at Overeem and i do not see what i see in Nam Phan. it has nothing to do with a bias, those were just extra examples. i look at Overeem, i don't see Chuck Liddell, i don't see Nam Phan, i don't see Spencer Fischer. maybe he will when he's 50-60 yrs old, but for right now, i see nothing that says he's messed up. he speaks clearer than Stipe.

i see the 99%, and i don't see how Overeem is the same as them.

like i said before, maybe he's like George Foreman. the worst case scenario isn't always inevitable.

i don't see 99% of a fighters life but you do huh? i mean, this is kind of ridiculous at this point but whatever. you do you.

i don't see 99% of a fighters life but you do huh? i mean, this is kind of ridiculous at this point but whatever. you do you.
I'm pointing out that most of the quality of life issues from CTE and brain trauma are not visible to the public yet we know they are very common in medical studies. Memory loss, focus problems, dizzy spells, mood swings, depression, etc.

You're being very naive or or ignorant on the matter. I can recommend a good book on combat sports head trauma if ya want (being sincere here)

Holloway beat the life out of him and Volk just did the same. Surely that's going to take a massive toll going forward?

The good news is Dana respects his fighters and he would NEVER take advantage of them.

Dana realizes the fighters are the whole reason people watch the UFC. So, for putting their health and well being on the line Dana ensures he never promotes himself over the fighters and insists his fighters have a fair cut of the profits they actually bring in. As a result UFC fighters, by in large, are pretty much set for life.............. right????

Last edited:
Back