Ortega has taken too much damage

Overeem got knocked out 20+ times in his fighting career and he's perfectly fine. its not the same for everyone.

Reem when he gets knocked out gets slept immediately so his brain just shuts off

Brian has taken a ton of accumulated damage that Reem hasnt since he gets KOd early.

Even outside of the Max and Volk fights Brian has taken a shit ton of damage. Ppl forget what a war the Tavares fight was too

except Ortega came out in the 5th like a savage and Weidman came out just to get finished. Ortega did that breathing think in between 4 and 5 and came out to try and finish the fight. Hats off to him.
Hats off for sure he has so much heart. But he still took a horrendous beating.

In a total of 10 rounds he's probably absorbed 400-500 punches to the head

What in the world makes you think he's perfectly fine?

I would bet a substantial amount of money that guy has brain damage and will face neurological problems as he ages, if not already.
there's nothing that would suggest that he's not fine? he isn't mumbling, slurring his words like many others (even some younger fighters) do . He isn't doing crazy out of character stuff, just living a normal life with his fam.

It's starting to get concerning. The thing that's saving him is the fact that he's only fought twice since 2018. He improved a lot after the Max fight. Hopefully now he will make some defensive adjustments. Can't keep getting into these wars.

there's nothing that would suggest that he's not fine? he isn't mumbling, slurring his words like many others (even some younger fighters) do . He isn't doing crazy out of character stuff, just living a normal life with his fam.

He's 41... wait a little while.

He needs 6-12 months off for sure. The end of round three particularly was one of the most damaging beatings I can recall and reminded me of the end of Rockhold vs Teh Chris. Which was the end of Teh Chris.

Chris fell off with USADA. A bunch of guys did at that time.

Kid's a warrior, bro. He's a survivor, and he's one of the single toughest people we've ever seen in MMA. That fight was one for the ages

Plus, what're you his cousin or something? Who gives a sh*t what another grown adult chooses to do with their time? Nobody has ever accused Ortega of being Galileo 2.0 lmfao, he's clearly not the brightest crayon...

Kid's a warrior, bro. He's a survivor, and he's one of the single toughest people we've ever seen in MMA. That fight was one for the ages

Plus, what're you his cousin or something? Who gives a sh*t what another grown adult chooses to do with their time? Nobody has ever accused Ortega of being Galileo 2.0 lmfao, he's clearly not the brightest crayon...

A kid, eh? Like your 47-year-old kid brother, Billy?

except Ortega came out in the 5th like a savage and Weidman came out just to get finished. Ortega did that breathing think in between 4 and 5 and came out to try and finish the fight. Hats off to him.
And yet Ortega clearly didn't have his legs under him still. I don't blame Ortega for coming out, but his corner not really even weighing a stoppage is pretty bad.
You don't see him in his day to day life, most fans will never see the actual stuttering and brain damage that fighters suffer unless it's extreme. They won't see, say, a fighter having a dizzy spell at 11 am on a Tuesday during camp, or them going to the store and forgetting where they were going.

Put it this way, did you know any of the symptoms that Spencer Fisher was suffering until he talked about them?

He needs 6-12 months off for sure. The end of round three particularly was one of the most damaging beatings I can recall and reminded me of the end of Rockhold vs Teh Chris. Which was the end of Teh Chris.

That's a terrible comparison. Ortega looked like a gajillion bucks in rd 5, all things considered. His toughness is otherworldly, Condit-esque. He will be fine

What in the world makes you think he's perfectly fine?

I would bet a substantial amount of money that guy has brain damage and will face neurological problems as he ages, if not already.
Something to keep in mind about Reem getting finished many times is that most of the time he would eat a good shot and flop or turn away or go fetal for the kayo/tko . That’s obviously not good for the brain, but it’s also not as troubling is guys pulling a Schaub or taking these protracted beatings.

IIRC I read a study on mma deaths several years back, and most of them had elements where a fighter was overmatched but wasn’t being knocked out and they took a lot of ground and pound shots where their head was flush on the mat.

And yet Ortega clearly didn't have his legs under him still. I don't blame Ortega for coming out, but his corner not really even weighing a stoppage is pretty bad.

You don't see him in his day to day life, most fans will never see the actual stuttering and brain damage that fighters suffer unless it's extreme. They won't see, say, a fighter having a dizzy spell at 11 am on a Tuesday during camp, or them going to the store and forgetting where they were going.

Put it this way, did you know any of the symptoms that Spencer Fisher was suffering until he talked about them?
I thought Ortega's corner was absolute garbage tonight. Why were they telling him to shoot a double leg. Did they watch what was happening on the ground?

Something to keep in mind about Reem getting finished many times is that most of the time he would eat a good shot and flop or turn away or go fetal for the kayo/tko . That’s obviously not good for the brain, but it’s also not as troubling is guys pulling a Schaub or taking these protracted beatings.

IIRC I read a study on mma deaths several years back, and most of them had elements where a fighter was overmatched but wasn’t being knocked out and they took a lot of ground and pound shots where their head was flush on the mat.

Keep in mind where he trained in Holland. The dude has taken some cartoon number of hits to the head.

The of course you got the dozen knockouts. Some of them were really, really bad KOs.

That's a terrible comparison. Ortega looked like a gajillion bucks in rd 5, all things considered. His toughness is otherworldly, Condit-esque. He will be fine
Everything we know about brain trauma and the lives of boxers suggests otherwise.

I thought Ortega's corner was absolute garbage tonight. Why were they telling him to shoot a double leg. Did they watch what was happening on the ground?
That part was funny. It's great advice...if Ortega had prioritized wrestling like Maia. Which is one of the odd things about his game. Oh well.

Back