1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Ortega/Diaz fans, stand up!

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BillyPilgrim, Sep 26, 2021.

1. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

So I'm the resident "tarot" guy, and I picked Lawler and Volk to win. Obv I'm happy with the result, but I'm not here to gloat. Far from it. I've been wrong before and I'm sure it'll happen eventually (or maybe soon) that I go 0 for 2 on a night.

But I'll be damned if I wasn't impressed with the efforts of Ortega and Diaz. Both guys had plenty of opportunities to fold under their opponent's pressure, but both gave us some THRILLING moments, particularly Ortega. To come out for the fifth round like he did after the beating he had taken, and after the psychological blow of that third round, showed that warrior spirit that I believe we all tune in to see. And Nick Diaz managing to put together the performance he did with his head clearly in a weird place (based on comments) was nearly as impressive.

Both Ortega and Diaz have some changes they could make. Both can (and likely will) come back stronger if they want. Anyway, just wanted to say that as someone who was cheering against both guys, it was still crystal clear that they were warriors of the highest degree. Heads up Diaz army and whatever you call the Ortega fans. Ortega Brigade! Or something. Anyways, stand by your guys. They'll be back.

2. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

Diaz is fuckin DONE.

Ortega I think is just not championship material. A step below the elites.

3. MelG Green Belt

So you're saying the Diaz/Lawler fight was almost not boring?

4. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

I personally didnt find the diaz fight boring,but weird,and a little sad.

ThulsaDooom and ltarian11 like this.
  5. Frankie Baby! Lost AV bet

Bro we need to stop praising for being a warrior, that's the bare minimum, that's what you're supposed to do, people just do it all the time to make the loser look not as bad like how Diaz Sisters fans do.

6. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

Diaz quit an Ortega got pieced. They looked like Mike Perry out there

7. MMAProfessional Golden Belt

It was shit. Clearly Diaz collecting a check.

StayCranked and DesiredUserName like this.
  8. Grow Hogan Orange Belt

lol Ortega always gets pieced up and comes back thats happened in about 3 or 4 of his wins, hes tough. Diaz the same its like most mexican fighters bruh

9. LetThemBleed Silver Belt

Till at least the next time you're proven wrong tarot ftw.

10. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

Personally I think Ortega has the physical gifts, but needs maturity. Question is if it'll come while he still has the physicality.

Diaz could be done, but considering where his head was at, I thought he was great.

11. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

I didn't find it boring at all. Diaz knocked Lawler out last time. This time he had a size advantage. Robbie was standing in the pocket, landing hard shots. Diaz was firing back. Diaz wasn't prime, no doubt, but he brought the fight. He's got it between the ears, the dog, the X factor. At least that's how I see it.

12. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

I think you take it for granted. Not every fighter has it. Watch some lower orgs and you'll see guys shying away from contact, backing down when things get tough, constantly. By the UFC, the pretenders have been weeded out I suppose, so toughness is not uncommon, but does that mean we can't appreciate it?

Sticko and Kidney Punch like this.
  13. BFoe PhD in Fedor Studies from the Univ of Stary Oskol Platinum Member

Boring? There are things to criticize about that fight but being boring isn’t one of them imo. Nick and Robbie threw down, at a really crazy pace. Sure it was an old man fight, but come on. Ngannou-Lewis or Woodley-Wonderboy 2 was boring. Nick vs Robbie was nutbars.

Sticko, Zebra Cheeks and Kidney Punch like this.
  14. SherdogFan23 Brown Belt

I am not fond of "old man" fights and Diaz - Lawler was one of them. But both guys have given me lots of great entertainment in the past. This is likely Diaz retirement fight and Lawler should be very selective on whatever matches he can get before his time is up.

Thanks to both of them for some great fights.

ThulsaDooom and ltarian11 like this.
  15. Cpt Migraine Never out of likes..

Ofcourse.. was hoping for the opposite results but expecting just this..

Unfortunately sherdog is the place where the third best burger flipper at their local mcdonalds holds the third best fighter in the world to the hardest possible standard..

Ie everyone sucks..

16. chinarice Steel Belt

Damn bro, it must be amazing fight prediction skills to pick the favorites to win.

1s1k likes this.
  17. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

They were both pick 'em fights when I made my picks. Before weight change or ko rumors or late money coming in. Interwebs will confirm if you bother to check. But I think you should continue to go with this "super confident but wrong dick head" vibe. It's working for you!

18. chinarice Steel Belt

lol sorry I just couldn't resist with your pretentious OP.

You picked 2 betting favorites to win and they won.... You're one of thousands and your first few words are some weird ass flex.

1s1k likes this.
  19. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

It's kind of fun to imagine these shitty people hunched over their computers though, furiously trying to push the buttons of people they've never met, too busy being what they see as some sort of rakish/bawdy/troublemaker/agentofchaos to notice themselves not being invited places by actual "friends."

Kidney Punch likes this.
  20. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

If giving props and expressing fallibility is what flex looks like to you, then we're obviously on a different wavelengths. Some people just see something positive and need to make it negative. This behavior reveals more about you than you realize. But sorry if I offended you or whatever. Not my intention lol.

Kidney Punch likes this.