Origins of the Shirley machine

Revok

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Access to these health machines was a mark of status at the turn of the century. Health spas and gymnasia were not subsidized by the state as they were in Sweden, and the American working class would not have been able to afford the fees required to receive Zander treatments. Nor were the working class thought to need such treatments; their "hearty" bodies were not yet impaired by the sedentary habits of affluent modern life. In mechanized workouts, white-collar Americans pumped up their own superiority. By declaring that "fitness" equaled a perfectly balanced physique, rather than the ability to perform actual physical tasks, body power was shifted from laborers to loungers.

Cabinet Magazine Online - The Origins of Cybex Space

pena2.jpg

pena5.jpg

pena7.jpg

Actually, that first one would be great for extending my flag time.

Now that's some convoluted shit.

I love it... exercising in a 3 piece suit... pure genius.

I love exercising in a three piece suit, it's genius.

Fast forward to the Nordic Trak, Smith Machine, and Bowflex done by someone in a Polo shirt wearing $200 training shoes that are so white they hurt to look at. The more things change....

I don't even want to say what those devices remind my old perverted mind of...

Great find!

Looking at old exercise machines is inspiring to me to see how we have progressed from (some would say regressed from) the barbell. Everything should be in continual improvement.

The key point that I took away from the article was

Zander argued that the key to health was not blood letting, purging, or strenuous acrobatics (other allopathic "cures" of the time). Instead, one needed to practice "progressive exertion," the controlled, systematic engagement of the body's muscles in order to build strength.

I like tossing the bar up and down and catching it with my pinky while standing right next to someone OHP on a separate one.

as late as the middle 1970's, the "weight reducing device" that has the belt that goes around you ( to vibrate the fat off) or the small thing that looks like a space heater with wooden knobs were STANDARD equipment in ALL of the national health club chains. I have some bb mags from that era and that equipment was sold by the Weiders, Lurie, etc right along with the barbells and benches. I saw one of the belt weight reducing machines at a yard sale one time for like 20 bucks and I regret not buying it--it would look great next to my power rack

One of my early martial arts instructors was really into practical self defense. Every once in a while you would show up for class and he would say "OK, nobody puts on uniforms tonight. We are fighting in our street clothes." It really blew because I used to come from a part time job where I had to wear a coat and tie.

I don't even want to say what those devices remind my old perverted mind of...

Your not alone, i really think one of is an automated reach around device

There's one of those strapped vibrator thingies from the 70's at my gym. I think it's there for a joke. I fucking hope so.

Back