organizing competition

good grips

White Belt
Reaction score
My friend and I are interested in organizing a small bjj competition, and depending on the outcome we'll maybe do it again. We're in the beginning stage of planning this, and i just wanted some input from some of you guys that are more experienced in this area.

I know a couple of guys that have done this before and they will be a huge help to us, but i thought i'd ask you guys too.

Has anybody done this before? please share your exeriences, how did it go, what could have been better etc. what kind of problems did you face?

Since me and my friend both compete, we know about the general problems with competitions, the endless waiting, bad judges, locations, expensive fee's and so on.

We're not doing this to make money, but we don't want to loose money either. we want to start on a very small scale, and hopefully go bigger every year.

The main reason we're doing this is because we dont have enough competitions in our area and cause we love jiu-jitsu and competing.

all kinds of tips and opinions are appreciated!

Last edited:
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I know a few guys who do it, and they said its a lot of work.

My friend and I are interested in organizing a small bjj competition, and depending on the outcome we'll maybe do it again. We're in the beginning stage of planning this, and i just wanted some input from some of you guys that are more experienced in this area.

I know a couple of guys that have done this before and they will be a huge help to us, but i thought i'd ask you guys too.

Has anybody done this before? please share your exeriences, how did it go, what could have been better etc. what kind of problems did you face?

Since me and my friend both compete, we know about the general problems with competitions, the endless waiting, bad judges, locations, expensive fee's and so on.

We're not doing this to make money, but we don't want to loose money either. we want to start on a very small scale, and hopefully go bigger every year.

The main reason we're doing this is because we dont have enough competitions in our area and cause we love jiu-jitsu and competing.

all kinds of tips and opinions are appreciated!

Where are you guys located?

i started running my own tourneys about 2 1/2 years ago and it wasn't easy. I have seen a lot of people lose a crap load of money. but i feel i have it down to a science and can help you figure it out. If you do it right it may not cost a dime.

Email me: [email protected]
or call me any time , 954-610-9264

- Josh

Back