Crime Oregon votes to decriminalize meth, heroin, hard drugs

Saw they also voted to raise wages, so now small business will have to pay their terrible junkie employees more money. Ahhh.... Progress.

There was nothing on the ballot for that.

Japan and Singapore don’t have a major drug problem.

Well, I'd rather have some junkies than such a liberal use of the death penalty as Singapore's. I'm not denying that they are very good at keeping crime very low, but I honestly don't believe it's worth it.

Not to get lost with all the Biden vs Trump election stuff, I wanted to make a thread on this. Oregon passed a vote to decriminalize all drugs. Not just marijuana and shrooms.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ction-drugs-oregon-new-jersey/?outputType=amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ction-drugs-oregon-new-jersey/?outputType=amp

Oregon voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly passed a measure to decriminalize the possession of street drugs, becoming the first state to embrace a plan billed as a way to drastically narrow drug arrests.

The passage of Oregon’s Measure 110 means the state’s residents will no longer face arrests or prison sentences for carrying small amounts of drugs like cocaine, heroin, oxycontin and methamphetamine. The measure, which passed by almost 60 percent, also lays out groundwork for people with addictions to receive treatment as opposed to jail time.

The measure also reduces drug misdemeanor charges to noncriminal offenses, institutes a $100 fine and requires offenders to be screened for drug addiction. For people caught with large quantities of substances, the penalty has been reduced from a felony charge to a misdemeanor.
I've been to Oregon recently, and this was the last thing townships in their rural areas needed. There are so many rundown towns with dilapidating swaths of residential areas, broken trailers and machinery rotting the yards, that have become glorified meth dens.

In my youth I favored these types of reforms, but older and wiser, I understand they are doomed to fail unless we implement an overhaul of our pharmaceutical industry and its modes of delivery. This is going to prove as disastrous to the state as a whole as the cockeyed homeless policies have proven to Portland's downtown business area.

essentially. you can't walk around smoking meth in the open but having it in your possession is no longer a criminal offense.
And how do you not see how this will lead to an increase in OD's?

Does it though? I’m not sure it does. The black market for weed is still alive and well.
What makes it a black market now though? Do all sales require tax to be collected?

And how do you not see how this will lead to an increase in OD's?
that has no logical or statistical correlation with decriminalizing drug possession. full-blown legalization typically leads to a short-lived spike in first-time users but thats it.

the only thing that can logically increase the rate of OD's would be stronger drugs or more users, neither of which correlate.

Hard drug users from all over the country are going to flock to Oregon now. It is going to be like when CO first passed legal weed.

that has no logical or statistical correlation with decriminalizing drug possession. full-blown legalization typically leads to a short-lived spike in first-time users but thats it.

the only thing that can logically increase the rate of OD's would be stronger drugs or more users, neither of which correlate.
You apparently don't have meth or herion addict family members. Theres no such thing as short lived use for "first time users" all it takes is one use and there hooked. Honestly, i don't care, I don't have any family in Oregon, so......

g338iwi116w31.jpg

You apparently don't have meth or herion addict family members. Theres no such thing as short lived use for "first time users" all it takes is one use and there hooked. Honestly, i don't care, I don't have any family in Oregon, so......

g338iwi116w31.jpg
you have no idea what you're talking about but i suppose that's a good thing. i'm a former addict btw

Hard drug users from all over the country are going to flock to Oregon now. It is going to be like when CO first passed legal weed.
ah yes, cross-country road trips, a staple of meth & heroin addicts everywhere.

There was a big study in JAMA earlier this year or late last year looking at a very large sample size to assess the affect of marijuana legalization over an 8 or so year period. Cannabis use disorder increased in teens and adults by at least 25% (I think 25% in the kid group and slightly higher in adults) and overall use increased as well.

What makes it a black market now though? Do all sales require tax to be collected?
Yeah, you have to have a license to dispense marijuana, and there are obviously taxes.

g338iwi116w31.jpg
Not everyone gets hooked, but it’s definitely concerning from a public health standpoint. You can almost guarantee use will increase, and kids will have easier access to this stuff. Scary.

Back