Crime Oregon votes to decriminalize meth, heroin, hard drugs

Ahhhh. So the non violent drug offenders go free the violent ones still get time. I like.
kind of. if you're cooking, trafficking, or smuggling, etc. you will still go to jail. even if there's no violence involved. but petty possession is no longer a criminal offense.

So how much meth are you allowed to make at a time? Asking for a friend.

You think people should be free to be hooked on meth?
If that's what they want to do who am I to tell them otherwise? I don't like people telling me what to do with my life so I like to avoid hypocrisy and return the favor.

You think people should be free to be hooked on meth?
they're free to get hooked on meth anyways lol there's not some invisible forcefield of law preventing people from doing meth. if people aren't doing meth, it's because it's awful for you and can ruin your life.

Not to get lost with all the Biden vs Trump election stuff, I wanted to make a thread on this. Oregon passed a vote to decriminalize all drugs. Not just marijuana and shrooms.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ction-drugs-oregon-new-jersey/?outputType=amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ction-drugs-oregon-new-jersey/?outputType=amp

Oregon voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly passed a measure to decriminalize the possession of street drugs, becoming the first state to embrace a plan billed as a way to drastically narrow drug arrests.

The passage of Oregon’s Measure 110 means the state’s residents will no longer face arrests or prison sentences for carrying small amounts of drugs like cocaine, heroin, oxycontin and methamphetamine. The measure, which passed by almost 60 percent, also lays out groundwork for people with addictions to receive treatment as opposed to jail time.

The measure also reduces drug misdemeanor charges to noncriminal offenses, institutes a $100 fine and requires offenders to be screened for drug addiction. For people caught with large quantities of substances, the penalty has been reduced from a felony charge to a misdemeanor.
Very good. We have that policy over here for years. Works very well and it lets us treat the addicted as patients. I believe all (hard )drugs should be made accessible via pharmacies where they can provide quality and advice to the users.

I'm okay with it. Decriminalized or not, it isn't going to make or break someone's drug addiction. But it will reduce the drain on the court system and prisons..aka reduce government spending.

Decriminalization isn't legalization.. there's an important distinction here.

Decriminalization is for people without the balls to go the substantially superior legalization.

It's better than Drug War but it's still stupid.

If that's what they want to do who am I to tell them otherwise? I don't like people telling me what to do with my life so I like to avoid hypocrisy and return the favor.
So you would want to live in a city full of meth addicts?

Drug addiction should be treated as a health problem, not a criminal one. Unless it's obviously for criminal intent (distribution) or it leads to actual crimes. I believe in decriminalization of some drugs, but I'm not sure society fully understands the implications of it. We won't know until it's probably too late.

Decriminalization is for people without the balls to go the substantially superior legalization.

It's better than Drug War but it's still stupid.
while legalization would remove the black market, we probably don't need dispensaries for controlled substances like cocaine and heroin. Hopefully this will help reduce some of the violence that comes along with having a black market though.

Do you really think the legality of a drug is really going to affect how many people become addicts though?

Take prohibition for example. All it did was turn the US into a violent black market rife with gangsters bootlegging and didn't nothing stop people from drinking.

Nice logical fallacy but I'll play your dumb ass game. If they mind their own business why should I care? And decriminalization or even legalization doesn't mean everyone will become an addict over night. Statistically most people who try drugs like methamphetamine, heroin, or crack cocaine don't become habitual users. It's a small minority of people. You do know that in most big cities in the world you can procure any of those rather quickly don't you? Alcoholics are everywhere and kill people every single day and it's legal in most countries. You don't want to stop the behavior you coward. You just want to punish people for living their lives in a way you don't agree with.

I think it’s a dumbass idea, but I don’t live there so I don’t care.

Back