Optimizing Your Size, Strength, and Recovery with Protein, by David Barr

vedic, im not suggesting replacing a whole food diet in favor of doing constant protein pulses. that would be retarded for obvious reasons. im thinking along the lines a an IF style feeding pattern, but with protein pulses being done during the "fasting" period. the idea of reducing total caloric intake and increasing overall protein synthesis is, to say the least, attractive.

Nothing wrong with looking outside the box. Low GI was just that until,,,, well it still sort of is. Anyways, try and see if it works, if it doesn't you wasted some time and money, but found out for yourself what works for you.

This raises a question: Protein does cause insuline respone, right? If fast acting protein and simple carbs are consumed several times per day on empty stomach wouldn't that cause severe blood sugar swings?

Simple carbs alone will do that, yes. Insulin resistance anyone?

the next logical question, would this be avoided by getting carbohydrates at another time? eat your carbs with whole food meals only, and stick to protein/AA only when using protein pulses. some insulin will be present as BCAA alone cause an insulin response from what i understand, but will it be significant to the point its a health concern? and isnt insulin release to be expected when boosting protein synthesis?

edit - in my last post, i wasnt suggesting using a simple carb during the protein pulsing window. i mentioned the use of high-gi carbs with protein pulses for post-wo use earlier, but wouldnt ever use a high-gi carb outside of the WO window. my theoretical portein pulses would be strictly whey hydrosylate and BCAA.

This is where it becomes splitting hairs. Insulin release is associated in the protein synthesis response but not in the same manner.

Unless your diet is 100% correct, protein pulsing to me is well a waste, and even then it's up in the air. Everyone worries about speed of this, speed of that, yet really there is only a small window where it matters. The rest is what do you eat 23 hours a day 7 days a week? Hopefully you aren't sipping whey and aminos 8 times a day etc..

Thanks for the post Mike! and Dave for all the info. Really informative and interesting. appreciate it. I mostly lurk on the boards, and out of curiousity Mike/Dave are you both affiliated with sherdog?

Thanks for the post Mike! and Dave for all the info. Really informative and interesting. appreciate it. I mostly lurk on the boards, and out of curiousity Mike/Dave are you both affiliated with sherdog?

Not to mention Vedic, your input is also appreciated

It's all good. We are all here to share and learn right? Mike is a mod here. Not sure on Dave, although he does write some great nutrition articles. Myself I am not, although I write as well starting for PM next months issue.

Your welcome, MscleShrk. David Barr is a well known (and well read!) strength coach and nutritional writer. Check his website here. Dave has written some exclusive articles for Sherdog D&S, and like this one, are stickied at the top of the forum. he contributes to the forum on a regular basis, and is a wealth of knowledge.

Vedic is also a popular contributor to these forums, and if you check his signature, he also has his own website, and trains clients in S+C and nutrition. He is also one of most knowledgeable posters.

PM refers to Performance Menu, a very well written online Strength, Conditioning and Nutritional magazine. Google it---I highly recommend it.

Me, I'm just some dude with a blue name. :icon_chee

is it possible to protein pulse feed multiple times a day, say if you only have the opportunity to eat 4 x a day, all spread out

So, this is why my protein seems to be so effective when I take it right after I work out after not eating for like 3 hours.

Nothing like hurting when I walk out of the gym, having some creatine and protein when I get to the truck, and feeling basically fine after the 50 min. drive home

also, i like to eat cottage cheese and/or muscle milk before bed

does its slow protein release rate neutralize the pulsing of a 2 scoop whey shake in the morning?

im hoping that maybe a 5 hour release rate + 8 hours of sleep = 3 hours of no amino acid synthesis in the body would work so i can still pulse in the morning

is it possible to protein pulse feed multiple times a day, say if you only have the opportunity to eat 4 x a day, all spread out

Yes, but it's much easier to do with leucine. Given the variability in hydrolysate, there are only a few sources I'd even trust to pulse.

also, i like to eat cottage cheese and/or muscle milk before bed

does its slow protein release rate neutralize the pulsing of a 2 scoop whey shake in the morning?

im hoping that maybe a 5 hour release rate + 8 hours of sleep = 3 hours of no amino acid synthesis in the body would work so i can still pulse in the morning

Should be fine.
BTW-are they really claiming a 5 hour release?

Back