Optimal Classroom sizes

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Jonesisinnocent, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Jonesisinnocent

Jonesisinnocent Blue Belt

Before we get in to any discussion about optimal classroom sized we have to remember one very basic thing: all science is bullshit. Science is just a tool that differing ideologues use to compete with each other. There are scientific studies showing that small classroom sizes are optimal and there are scientific studies showing that large classroom sizes are optimal. Both are equally worthless. They have been made up.

It's just common sense that a larger classroom size is going to be more optimal than a small one. By "large" I am referring to a crowd of at least 10,000 people. 100,000-1,000,000 people should be the optimal classroom size. This is simply because any effort to teach 10,000 minds is going to have to be an honest effort. There can be no wishy-washy teaching in that environment. It's got to be macro-oriented; bold, basic, pure. None of that detail shit. And the kids are not going to socialize with each other because there is no medium upon which their egos can rest. They are going to be drowning in a sea of unidentifiable human shit. They'll never see the same person twice.

In order to achieve this, rural school should be shut down and the teachers laid off. All humans not living in major cities will be forced to relocate. There will only be a handful major human population centers in the USA (LA, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, New York City, etc.) There will be fewer than fifteen teachers in the entire country. All of the country's children in these cities will attend one "school" (a large square). There will be no tests, no books, you just show up and listen. Once you know how to speak English you are educated. This is all that is necessary for a functioning and efficient civilization."

2. jrams

jrams Red Belt

Define "optimal". What are you trying to optimize classroom sizes for?

3. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

4. speakhandsforme

speakhandsforme Banned Banned

Goddammit. I saw this topic and thought it was ripe for discussion. And then I read the second sentence.

With that said, considering expense and effect, I really don't know the optimal size, be it grade school or PhD program.

Also, ban this troll.

5. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Silver Belt

Stop posting.

6. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

Approaching 40 kids is too many.

7. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

optimal crowd of thousands? inherent honest intentions?

uh, nazi germany?

8. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

The education could be beamed via television to all the children and create one giant global class room.

The entire world could be educated by just a few people that know whats best.

For recess, it would show commercials.

9. Sycho Sid

Sycho Sid Master of the world and the universe

It is like someone challenged the TS to come up with the most ill informed asinine thread possible.

10. Jonesisinnocent

Jonesisinnocent Blue Belt

So I made a thread that you were interested in and because you didn't like my OP I should be banned? You make a useless "I don't know nothing" response wasting this sites bandwidth and furthering no discussion because you are butt-hurt, but I'm the troll?

Let's say for the sake of argument that I'm being satirical but bringing to light an important topic... should I be silenced? Apply your logic to novelists, writers, comedians ect. Should they be silenced?

You must be gleeful that radical Islamists murdered the staff of Charlie Hebdo, or is that an unfair assumption? Perhaps you should take a step back, take a deep breath and stop taking this place so seriously?

I guess it's all just speculation but I would be happy to hear your thoughts on the topic.

11. Metusalemi

Metusalemi Black Belt

Optimal size for bible studies. One priest and one little boy.

12. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

If you force everyone that move to a few major cities how do you expect crops to be raised, oil to be drilled, lumber be produced, etc etc?

13. National Acrobat

National Acrobat Superstitious Century, Didn't Time Go Slow?

How brave of you TS to use a picture of yourself as your av

14. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

It's like doctors nowadays fast food healing and teaching. What a world? No wonder you can't get things right people. It's OK let's try the entire world theory and see how it works. Each person is different, some may be blind, or can't hear or learn a different way. Each person also has unique ability to process data some slow and some fast. I remember a time when a teacher tried to teach the masses in such a way known today as "Jesus" they converted all his teachings and twisted it into a business. I'm not sure the mass route is good for quality development but hey maybe thousands of years from now when everyone is much brighter can pick things up faster.

15. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

As stated define optimal.

If we are talking k through 12 I would say 10 and no more the 20.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

Benjamin Franklin

16. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

This thread got off to a good start.

17. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

"Science is bullshit"

Okay well I agree. The only thing that isn't bullshit is if I smash something with a club. So I think the ideal class size is we smash a school with a club and fit the kids into the remaining pieces and however many fit is the only non-bullshit answer.

18. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Outstanding. :)

In regards to the OP, it's full of bullshit but I agree with the idea that education is going to evolve. Probably not because public education gets out and leads. So long as the baby-sitting component is there then new ideas could gain traction.

I think there will continue to be a variety of teachers on each subject because of different learning styles and personalities.

19. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

Optimal in what way? Economic efficiency? For the pupils on average? For leaving the fewest behind? For producing the best top students?

I'd say 10-15 children is a pretty good number for most of those except economic efficiency. And while good students benefit from smaller classes as well, generally speaking, the fewer demanding students you have in a class, the larger the class can be while still giving most of them a pretty good education.

In some kind of hypothetical "damn the costs" scenario, every single student should have one-on-one lessons at some frequency determined by their needs (from always to several times a week), but that's obviously infeasible.

20. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think the research is pretty clear that individualized instruction is optimal but incredibly expensive. So the optimal classroom size is the closest the school can get to individualized instruction while still providing service to all of the children under it's care.

I feel bad for posting in this thread, I wish we could delete the OP and replace it with something that actually furthers discussion of a serious topic.